Re: [council] On the use of 'fairness' et al

  • To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] On the use of 'fairness' et al
  • From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 07:09:22 -0400
  • Cc: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

With that being said Phillip, there are other methods that we can use to find the answers that we need. Being impossible to actually weigh the sun, scientists turn to indirect methods to find their answer. As I mentioned on the call, this is appears to be a more appropriate option for us as well.

Instead of attempting to quantify "fairness" we should be examining the processes and policies within the GNSO and its structure that were set in place to further the goal of "fairness" (or whatever ethereal quality we wish to learn about). If those policies are useful and effective, then we can deduce that we are fulfilling the requirements of "fairness" - without having necessarily defined "fairness". Of course, this will only tell us if we are being fair according to the definition used by those that initially implemented the processes and policies.

We can further seek to determine whether or not we need to update these by simply asking the community if the existing policies and processes meet their respective definitions of fair...

On 8/26/2005 6:32 AM Philip Sheppard noted that:
Avri,
everything you say is correct but we need to consider practicality.
The concern of myself and other Council members is to ensure the GNSO review
is done well but does not grow out of proportion to our prime objective of
policy development. The more comprehensive the review and the more
ill-defined its scope, the less resource (time and money) we have for this
objective.
I am concerned that we are today launching a GNSO review at a time when 17
out of 20 recommendations dating from last year for improving effectiveness
of the GNSO Council (and thus the GNSO) are NOT yet implemented due to lack
of resource.
If we end up in 2006 with a list of 20 new recommendations that are also not
implemented, the effectiveness of the GNSO will be unchanged.
Philip

        -rwr

"In the modern world the intelligence of public opinion is the one indispensable condition for social progress."
        - Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926)