Re: [council] On the use of 'fairness'

On 26 aug 2005, at 11.15, Philip Sheppard wrote:

So the question of fairness becomes:
What is the relevance of fairness to effectiveness?

Well it might also have relevance to the first question. In order to know whether GNSO has a purpose, one must be able to define that purpose. And whether it is a body capable of fairness and is a component of overall ICANN fairness would seem, to me, to be pertinent questions.

In terms of effectiveness, I think fairness is something that always must temper effectiveness. By some definitions of effectiveness one could be very effective yet unfair. This, it seems to me, would not be a good thing. So when we are looking for ways to judge, or to increase effectiveness, we must take the fairness of the process into account. E.g. it would be very efficient, and hence effective by some definitions, for the GNSO council chair to make all decisions unilaterally and to pass them on to the board. But would that have been fair to the constituencies and the rest of the community? Now, one could use a different definition of effectiveness, and argue that these decisions might not be effective because they would be challenged by those who had been left out of the process, ie. those who thought the process to have been unfair - so in this case fairness may be defined as an essential ingredient for true effectiveness. Likewise if it comes time to consider a new constituency, the notion of fairness would enter the discussion in terms of deciding whether this population was unable to participate due to its lack of a represented constituency. i.e whether they had a fair opportunity to participate in the decision making process.

a.