Re: [council] request for ICANN action on single letter domain names (now reserved names)

  • To: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] request for ICANN action on single letter domain names (now reserved names)
  • From: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:45:51 -0700
  • Cc: Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "'Gnso. Secretariat'" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'John Jeffrey'" <jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Kurt Pritz'" <pritz@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Olof Nordling'" <nordling@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Maria Farrell'" <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In 2000, ICANN wrote: "Under current practice of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, one-letter codes are reserved from assignment to allow for future DNS extensibility." (see, FAQ #47 http://www.icann.org/tlds/tld-faqs.htm).

This is the same reason ICANN provided for now allowing second-level single letters, which is why I suggested bundling the issues for GNSO policy purposes.

       Bret

Marilyn Cade wrote:

Dear Bret, I think that the process would be different. I think the single
letter gTLDs would be in the process of any new gTLDs. Does that make sense?
By the way, do you know of any technical issue related to single letter
gTLDs?