RE: [council] ICANN and Everything Else

  • To: fausett@xxxxxxxxxxx, council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [council] ICANN and Everything Else
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 09:18:46 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<P>Dear Bret</P>
<P>There is a working group on the WSIS at ICANN, that has several individuals from different
constituencies, the ALAC&nbsp;and the ASO and ccNSO on it, that has organized the WSIS events at
ICANN. I hope we will see&nbsp;everyone from the Council&nbsp;at that event today. From the
ALAC, there are two members in the group: Vittorio and Izumi. </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>What did you have in mind to discuss at Council? We do have some limitations/guidelines on
putting topics on the agenda to allow for preparation as needed, but perhaps, if other councilors
are agreeable, and time permits,&nbsp;under AOB, we could add in a discussion on the
WSIS&nbsp;Workshop [scheduled for today].</P>
<P>In&nbsp;my view, the issues related to the&nbsp;WSIS/WGIG, ITU interaction, etc. are cross SO/cross
ICANN. &nbsp;We have at gNSO&nbsp;Council from time to time had a very short update on scheduled meetings,
implications of those activities for ICANN, etc. as sort of "background information", but the overall work
that is done at ICANN on these issues is done in cross sectoral/cross SO/ALAC way, via the Working Group on the WSIS,
that has pretty broad representation from different groups and has been focused on informational sessions and
awareness. </P>
<P>[All: I started referring to gNSO Council because it occurs to me that after all,
we have two active Councils at ICANN now, with our colleagues from the ccNSO
Council.]</P>
<P>Just as an FYI:&nbsp; The WSIS Working Group at ICANN will release a statement
today that has been developed by the group, and circulated to the various Constiutencies and to
the ALAC. It has been in development since Cape Town and was announced at the public event
there as forthcoming. </P>
<P>Within ICANN, the interest seems broad -- as one would expect.</P>
<P>Did you have something in specific in mind for Council to discuss?&nbsp;Time
limitations may defeat adding this in any detail - but again, if it is related the WSIS
workshop, perhaps we can have short discussion as appropriate. </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><BR>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Bret Fausett &lt;fausett@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [council] ICANN and Everything Else
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 17:03:30 -0300
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I would appreciate having a discussion on ICANN and its
relationship
<DIV></DIV>&gt;to the UN/ITU processes, WSIS, WGIG, etc. I know that we have
<DIV></DIV>&gt;members who are active in both.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;My own view has been (and still is) that the two activities are
<DIV></DIV>&gt;separate and should stay that way. The discussion today has lead
me
<DIV></DIV>&gt;to believe that my view may not shared. Can we discuss this at
some
<DIV></DIV>&gt;point?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Bret
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV></div></html>