RE: [council] GNSO Vote for ICANN Board seat # 14

  • To: "'GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [council] GNSO Vote for ICANN Board seat # 14
  • From: Alick Wilson <alick.wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:42:45 +1300
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Glen and fellow councillors

In most other organisations, when there is only a single candidate, when
nominations close the single candidate is declared elected unopposed and
there is no vote.

Consequentially, I do not understand why a vote is required. What purpose
does it serve when there is only one candidate? What happens if the sole
candidate does not get a majority of the votes?

If the rules are unclear, may I suggest that instead of a vote (or not) for
the sole candidate, the returning officer(s) formally declare the candidate
elected unopposed. If this is not within the power of the returning
officer(s), may I suggest that instead of a vote that council passes a
resolution in due course, to declare the sole candidate elected unopposed.

Comments please.

Cheers,
Alick