[council] RE : [council] Updated draft v 2.1 of GNSO self review

  • To: <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] RE : [council] Updated draft v 2.1 of GNSO self review
  • From: <Niklas_Lagergren@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:19:37 +0100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bruce et al -

I think the draft self-review report is a very good and useful document

Now, following our discussion yesterday, I would like to draw your attention to
recommendation 14 of the "Sharry" (external review document) which states that
"The Council needs to work with ICANN operational staff to develop a compliance
policy with graded penalties". Additionally, ICANN's draft strategic plan
includes a sentence (p.32) on ICANN's current plans for "planned escalation of
actions, including legal and specific performance remedies, to correct ongoing
harm and provide greater flexibility and legitimacy for the compliance
function."

I would recommend that we add a recommendation of the same kind under point 5)
of our self-review document. I suggest the following wording:

To the extent that the lack of intermediate sanctions for non-compliance with
contractual obligations presents a significant impediment to compliance
activities, the GNSO should, without prejudice to efforts to enforce existing
contractual obligations, develop recommendations for a system of graduated or
intermediate sanctions for incorporation in revised contracts.  As an initial
step, ICANN legal counsel should brief GNSO Council (or a relevant
subgroup/task force) on ICANN's current plans to correct ongoing harm and
provide greater flexibility and legitimacy for the compliance function.

Kind regards -

Niklas