RE: [council] Re: Election for ICANN Board seat number 13

  • To: Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [council] Re: Election for ICANN Board seat number 13
  • From: Elisabeth Porteneuve <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:16:12 +0100 (MET)
  • Cc: apisan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Bruce,

Let me allow to jump into conversation - the Old Memory souvenirs ...

In Carthesian system (universal mathematician logic) Alex was serving
2 terms elected under "Old Bylaws" (the second term being shortened by
"Transition") and one on Seat 13.

How it is interpret by Bylaws, what was intended in "Transition"
which lasted for one year - I have no idea.

The ICANN's Bylaws is a jungle, it is even impossible to see
when "Old Bylaws" stopped, and when "New" ones started, and deduce
when "Transition" was (I spent all years since 1998 to follow Bylaws'
wording on day-by-day basis and have difficulties to dig it out).
There is nothing else that a raw record of amended Bylaws
cf. http://www.icann.org/general/corporate.html

I recall that the simple system - ICANN Board Director mandate ending with
calendar's year - have been replaced by mandate ending with annual AGM.
Subsequently annual AGM have been written in Bylaws as being mandatory
to be held in Marina des Rey, then even ICANN itself could not fulfill
that clause !
Who knows when mandate terminates in that system?
I wonder if ICANN ever consider that as international organization it has
a duty to be a system which not only native American speaking lawyers
with twenty years of practice can understand.

The record of DNSO/GNSO votes is at:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/dnso.ncindex.html

     - elected October 1999, Old Board, 3 years
       term starting immediately, ending at the last AGM in 2002

       http://www.dnso.org/elections/1999.DNSO-ICANN-election-result.html
       VII. On October 12th, 17:45 CET the secretariat announced
            that Alejandro Pisanty was elected for 3 years term
            at the ICANN Board.
            http://www.dnso.org/dnso/announce/Archives/msg00037.html

     - re-elected September 2002, Old Board
       term starting at the last AGM in 2002, ending when
       "Transition" ends (mid-2003)

       http://www.dnso.org/elections/2002.DNSO-ICANN-election-result.html
       V.   Names Council vote
       On 26 September 2002 during the NC teleconference, (twenty) NC
       members present ratified the vote result. The adopted motion
       with the notification of election results was subsequeltly
       posted by the Secretariat to the ICANN Board
       http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/council/Arc11/msg00066.html
       and the announcement made to the DNSO
       http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc11/msg00446.html
       Alejandro Pisanty was elected for 3 year term at the ICANN Board.

     - elected April-May 2003, New Board
       cf. http://www.dnso.org/
       "Seat 13: 23 Apr - 22 May 2003: Alejandro Pisanty is
       declared elected The resulting director will sit on the Board
       from mid 2003 until second quarter 2004."

Kind regards to all,
Elisabeth Porteneuve