[council] Re: [council] NCUC statement on Approval Process for Registry Services

  • To: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, philip.sheppard@xxxxxx
  • Subject: [council] Re: [council] NCUC statement on Approval Process for Registry Services
  • From: Jisuk Woo <jisuk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:41:13 +0900
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> 받는사람 : council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 참조 :
> 보낸날짜: 2004/01/14 17:26
> 제목: [council] NCUC statement on Approval Process for Registry Services
> 보낸사람 : Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
>
> Marc,
> while I think there is much to commend in the NCUC statement on the registry
> services I feel impelled to make one remark to this part of your statement:
>
> " we note that ICANN invested most of its effort in protecting trademarks ...
> interests, and has shown very little interest in protecting consumers and
> users".
>
> ICANN's UDRP is all about protecting consumers and users.

Really?  It seems that Marc and Philip have shown very different opinions on
what UDRP is all about. I feel rather compelled to say that you might want to
look at the simple statistics of UDRP decisions (in about 80% of proceedings
trademark owners have won and domain names were transferred from the original
registrants), let alone the many ways in which the UDRP policy and rules are
established to result in disadvantaging the registrants, i.e., the respondents.

I do not mean to start arguments about UDRP here, as there are certainly
different opinions regarding its role and implications. But I would like to
mention that I strongly support the specific statement in the NCUC statement on
the registry serives: " we note that ICANN invested most of its effort in
protecting trademarks ... interests, and has shown very little interest in
protecting consumers and users", and I hope that the NCUC's position supporting
stronger user protection be understood and respected.

Jisuk Woo

>The typical motivation for a brand owner to seek ownership of a domain name is
>to prevent the bad faith use of the domain name. Bad faith use includes
>consumer fraud and deception. There maybe individual cases where other
>motivations are apparent but please do note that the fundamental reason for
>trademarks at all is as a guarantee of origin - and that is a consumer as well
>as a brand-owner benefit.
>
> Philip

우지숙 (Woo, Jisuk)

서울대학교 행정대학원

Assistant Professor

Graduate School of Public Administration

Seoul National University

tel: 82-2-880-5633 (tel)

fax: 82-2-6248-0951(fax)

email: jisuk@xxxxxxxxx