Re: [council] Private initiative and regulatory bodies and the feeling of being scr*

  • To: Amadeu Abril i Abril <Amadeu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Private initiative and regulatory bodies and the feeling of being scr*
  • From: Marc Schneiders <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:35:04 +0100 (CET)
  • Cc: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, at 08:15 [=GMT+0100], Amadeu Abril i Abril wrote:

> Marc Schneiders wrote:
>
> > I just read a message to some other list (tucows registrar resellers)
> > that says that NetSol (the registrar) will also delete IDN names as of
> > February 28, 2004. (I guess they missed out on the extra day February
> > has this year.) It seems this is about .com and .net names. One has to
> > transfer them to another registrar, they say, or they die.
>
> Well, some good news at last!! The sad part is that this has not been
> mandated by ICANN directly but only applied by some players, the most
> reasonable.

I don't understand you, I am afraid. You think NetSol is doing the
right thing?

> What's your complaint, Marc?

As for ICANN: Lack of consumer protection. The point I was trying to
make though, is that this (PIR dropping .ORG IDNs, see my other
message, and NetSol doing something similar) is a relevant incident
for the discussion about 'Approval of changes in registry services'.
For me this PDP has no real value, if it doesn't take care of this
type of incidents, makes sure they will not happen in the future.

I know that ICANN did not approve the Verisign IDN testbed. It did not
tell Verisign it should stop it either. It did redelegate ORG to PIR,
which at first kept the IDN names running, then silently dropped them
from the DNS, and now, it seems will silently delete them, without
ever informing the registrants. This will give the domain name
'industry' a bad name. It might even be brought to court.