Re: [council] Request for GNSO to consider processes for introducing new registry services

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Request for GNSO to consider processes for introducing new registry services
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 00:35:10 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 10/03/03 09:55AM >>>
Advisory Concerning Demand to Remove VeriSign's Wildcard
http://www.icann.org/announcements/advisory-03oct03.htm

>ICANN's President and CEO Paul Twomey is
>asking the Generic Names Supporting Organization to formulate a proposal
>for a timely, transparent and predictable procedure for the introduction
>of new registry services, including as to how a reasonable determination
>of the likelihood that a proposed change will have adverse effects. This
>process, to be conducted under the GNSO's new streamlined policy
>development process, should be completed by 15 January 2004."

So we are being asked to conduct "prior review" of all new registry
services? To me, that sounds like a fundamentally wrong-headed approach
to this problem. Perhaps I misunderstand what is being asked for.
I look forward to discussing this with other Councillors.