RE: [council] RESOLUTION FOR TOMORROW'S TELECONFERENCE

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'council'" <council@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] RESOLUTION FOR TOMORROW'S TELECONFERENCE
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:04:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here is what I would recommend, which sounds much more positive.  I have
still not decided on my position on this motion, but I thought this
resolution sounds more palatable.

Please let me know your thoughts.

*

Whereas,
   the Names Council resolution of 1st August 2002 called for "three
representatives
 per Constituency on the GNSO Council".

   Whereas,
   ICANN core value 2.4 is:
   - "Seeking and supporting broad, informed participation reflecting the
 functional, geographic, and cultural diversity of the Internet at all
levels
 of policy development and decision-making".

   Whereas,
   ICANN core value 2.7 is:
   - "Employing open and transparent policy development mechanisms that
 (i) promote well-informed decisions based on expert advice, and (ii) ensure
 that those entities most affected can assist in the policy development
 process."

   Whereas,
   by-law article XX.5.8 states:
   "In the absence of further action on the topic by the New Board, each
 of the GNSO constituencies shall select two representatives to the GNSO
 Council.." "..no later than 1 October 2003."

   The GNSO council resolves that:

   Three representatives per Constituency is consistent with ICANN core
value 2.4 on geographic and cultural diversity within the constituency as
the majority of ICANN regions are
represented.
   .
   Three representatives per Constituency is consistent with ICANN core
value 2.7 on well-informed decision making. Experience has shown that three
representatives  improves the constituencies ability to share the workload
of a council
 member, to be able to participate in task forces of the council, and to
 more effectively communicate with multiple regions.

   And therefore the GNSO Council requests the Board to make two changes
 in its review timetable:
   1. To change the transition article to allow three representatives per
 constituency on the GNSO Council until the end of the ICANN annual meeting
 2004;
   2. To perform a review of the GNSO council in or around June 2004.