

Policy Process Steering Committee (PPSC) Policy Development Process (PDP) Operating Model
Sub-Team

TRANSCRIPTION

Friday 24 April 2009 1500 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Policy Process Steering Committee Policy Development Process (PDP) Operating Model Sub-Team meeting on Friday, 24 April 2009, at 15:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-omst-20090424.mp3>
<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#april>

(All MP3's and transcriptions can be found on the calendar page).

Present:

S. Subbiah - Individual
Greg Ruth - ISP
Nacho Amadoz - Registry c.
Caroline Greer - Registry c.
Konstantinos Komaitis - NCUC
Alexey Mykhaylov - Registrar c.
Alexei Sozonov - Registrar c.

Absent apologies:

Tim Ruiz
Thomas Roessler

Staff:

Ken Bour
Glen de Saint Gery

Woman: Welcome, Caroline.

Caroline Greer: Thank you, hello.

Man: Good morning.

Man: Hello?

Man: Or is it afternoon or evening where you are?

Coordinator: Hello, this is the operator.

Woman: Excuse me, Greg Ruth is now joining. Thank you.

Coordinator: Hello, this is the operator. The recordings have now started.

Woman: Thank you operator. Welcome Greg.

Greg Ruth: Hi.

Woman: I'll do a roll call Ken.

Ken Bour: Super.

Woman: We have on the call Alexei Sozonov , Nacho Amadoz, Alexey Mykhaylov, Caroline Greer and Greg Ruth. And for staff we have Ken Bour and Glen and myself.

Ken Bour: Hello everyone. This is Ken Bour actually speaking. Liz Gasster is not going to be able to join us today so I'll be handling this from the staff point of view.

If it's all right with the group I'll just make some suggestions as to how we might proceed here and hopefully very quickly the team can pick a community leader and then I'll go back into a supporting role.

I sent an email out yesterday in which I suggested a potential agenda for this call and maybe - we've already done the roll call. And the second item on the list, if you have that email, was to solicit a volunteer

or elect a chair for the sub-team so that we can continue to, I guess for the next at least couple weeks. The third item was to review the minutes from the last session where the discussion of timeframes the operating model was dealt with. And we can hopefully go through some of that.

And there's a wiki page that has been created just for this sub-team and I'd like to sort of direct you to that and we could take a look at it.

The charter team, the other sub-team in this work group team, they had a meeting yesterday. Just two people were on the call Avri and (Eillea). And they actually began working on their wiki page starting to deal with the charter guidelines stuff. And then lastly is maybe just discuss approaches for how we go ahead and continue building out this operating model. And that's the general outline if that's okay with everybody.

Do you think we have enough participants with five out of the eight to talk about a potential chair?

Anybody volunteer? How long should I wait?

Man: Subbiah will be late, right? So he might be better but he's not on the call now.

Ken Bour: I nominate Subbiah Any seconds?

Man: I second that.

Woman: I second that.

Ken Bour: Subbiah you have lots of friends. Well, I'll tell you what, why don't we come back to that question in a little bit if it's not going to be obvious and let's see if we can make some additional progress. Anybody object to that?

Man: Nope.

Man: No.

Ken Bour: Okay. What I'd like to do is to go to the minutes from the last session with the larger group and I have those open. If you can go to the - is everybody on their computer? Go to the sort of main wiki page which I had put in my email. That's the working group team wiki page. Does everybody have that?

Man: Yep.

Man: Yep.

Ken Bour: Was that a no?

Man: It was a yes.

Ken Bour: Okay, super.

Okay, excellent. And from there if you just go to the last meeting you'll see minutes and action items and just click that. It will open up a PDF and that PDF contains the minutes or a summary of action items from the last meeting.

Does anybody not have that document up?

Okay, great. Let's scroll down all the way to where it talks about the schedule of activities through (Sydney). Okay, so we've succeed in creating the two sub-teams, one for the charter guidelines and one for the operating model and this is the operating model group and I just wanted to quickly run through - just to keep everybody together and understand what our tasks are between now, and say, June.

So, this week was supposed to be, and is now, the first meeting of the sub-team to begin the work. And the work is defined in the notes below and we'll go through that real quickly just so we can all get calibrated as to what we understand the mission to be for this sub-team.

Next week we're to meet again on a conference call similar to this one and maybe there's some maybe even interim work that we'll need to do. It will depend a little on how today's conversation goes as to what we need to do next time. The goal is to have by the 6th of May a document that we can give to the full team where Jay Scott will ask for a consensus sort of agreement that we have captured the operating model well and fully.

Once that happens then the following couple three weeks we would actually start drafting activities to fill in the content underneath the various subheadings and topics and this will all become just a little bit clearer in a few minutes.

And then hopefully on June 3 they'll be another big team conference call in which we'll review the draft documents and, again, consensus

model applies. And then the next thing that happens after that is (Sydney) and at that point we want to finalize all the draft documents, approve them in a face to face session in (Sydney) and then release them to the PPSC.

So, that's just a quick sort of sketch of the time that we have and the ultimate goal.

Now, let me just go through some of these notes because, obviously, what's really, really important before we begin activity is what is it we exactly have to do?

And so between now and the 6th of May we want to take the outline, and the outline is contained in the minutes. And I'm gonna actually point us to another wiki site in just a second where we can take a look at what staff has already produced as a way of thinking about what would go into an operating model. And this is where we're gonna spend most of our time today.

And this flushes out the section headings and the sub-bullets and the goal was to make sure the outline is complete for what ought to be in an operating model or a working group and then maybe a one or two sentence description of each one of those.

We don't have to write the operating model guide book but we have to at least flush it out to the point where we're satisfied we've covered all the important elements.

Is that pretty clear?

Man: Yeah, sure.

Woman: Yeah.

Ken Bour: It's about as clear as I could make it, let's put it that way.

All right. Let's go back to the working team wiki and if you scroll down a bit you'll see where we discuss the working team model and the working team charter. And if you can click on that link it will take you to a new page called working team; model.

I'll give you a second to get there.

Woman: I'm sorry Ken. Whereabouts are you on the wiki page?

Ken Bour: Okay, so on the main wiki page if you scroll down, I'll just go ahead and get there real quick myself. On the main wiki page go down past where the participants are and you'll see linked pages.

Woman: Yep, yep.

Ken Bour: Workplan and then go to operating model which is the second bullet.

Woman: Got it. Thanks.

Ken Bour: Okay super. And that - everybody...Is anybody not there?

Okay, good. So, this is essentially the exact same outline that appeared in the minutes. It's also the same outline that I sent to Jay Scott in a Word document to send to the PPSC with respect to the

workplan that we were going to present. There were two elements; one is the charter guidelines outline and then this is the operating model.

So, why don't I just kind of talk through it a little bit and then I'm gonna stop and let you guys have the floor.

At a high level the concept here was to build two different work products. One is to create a set of guidelines that sponsors would use to create working groups. And when I say sponsors that, in this case, will probably just be the GNSO council, right? But theoretically it could be any sponsor who wants to create a working group. The question is what things do you need to consider when you're building a working group?

And those things include things like right in the charter, what should go into the charter? What are you going to call them? What kind of rules should they (behave)? What kinds of roles should there be on a working group?

All that stuff is charter guideline stuff and if you ever want to look at what they're considering you can go to that page from the main wiki, right?

So, now - so, somebody has already, a sponsor, determined they want to create a working group and they've already written them a charter. And so the next question is, is let's say for talking purposes, I am a working group chair. And the question is what do I consult that helps me figure out what our working team ought to do?

My charter tells me certain things, right? It tells us what our mission is and what our purpose is and what our timelines and maybe what our deliverables are and things of that type but what informs the working group as to how it ought to conduct itself?

And this is where the operating model comes in. And so some of the things that we have suggested that might be in the operating model are the following; so at the top, roles and responsibilities. Maybe we could create, for example, a kind of checklist for a working group chair that he or she would go through to make sure all the necessary elements have been thought through as the team is just beginning to work.

And in terms of roles and responsibilities, maybe we specify that every working group team should at least consider having a chair and a vice chair and somebody to take notes and somebody who's responsible for list management and things of that - scheduling. Whatever, that kind of stuff.

There, what else here? It may seem obvious to us but there should be some time set aside for people to introduce themselves to each other and where they're from and what they do and what their interest is and that kind of thing. In the roles and responsibilities we could deal with those kinds of topics.

Then the next category is norms. And we just throw some suggestions out here like what should the meaning of good standing be in terms of each participant's commitment to the working group and the levels of participation and attendance and what does it mean to contribute. So, those kinds of norming behaviors.

And I don't know how prescriptive we want to be in the model but if nothing else we could talk about - these are some things that the working group ought to consider so that they're not left un - they're left tacit and then people kind of wonder, well, am I supposed to raise my hand? Am I supposed to do this? Or...And other things too. Well, let me just go on.

There clearly will be cases, and we should probably deal with it in the operating model, where what happens when there's an individual that's usurping the conversation or not listening and how do you deal with that? What does it mean to abstain and what are our different levels of support versus objection?

Now, I included in here the meaning of consensus but we haven't sorted out yet whether that's going to be driven from the charter or not.

And by the way, it may vary. In certain instances Tim Ruiz has pointed out that in certain instances where a policy working group is going to decide something that could be required for registrars to abide by. The definition of consensus may absolutely need to be in the charter itself. (You) working group, when we commission you, we are going to tell you what consensus means. And you may not deviate from it.

In other cases, if it's not something that's policy related a working group might be able to, for itself, decide what consensus means.

So, it could end up being in both places. So, maybe the way we would write this in the operating model is if the working group is not provided a definition of consensus that it should follow, then it should have a

discussion about that as one of it's first orders of business. Quorum requirements.

And then under logistics there's a whole bunch of things that have to do with things like planning meetings and how frequently they meet and who prepares the agenda and who takes the minutes, are you going to use things like Adobe Connect and if so who's going to manage that?

Mailing lists, tools, all that kind of stuff seems to me could be in the operating model.

And then lastly and perhaps most importantly, what are the products and outputs and what are the relationships between the working group team and it's sponsor through liaisons or that kind of stuff. And then closure issues. How do you wrap a team up? Producing drafts and final documents?

Those are just some thoughts that we had as staff of things that might go into the operating model.

So, let me pause here and get some reactions.

Caroline Greer: Ken, it's Caroline. Thanks very much. I think that was very clear. I wonder how many have seen Tim Ruiz's email he just sent an email through (unintelligible) and sent his apologies and he had a suggestion as to where forward.

Ken Bour: I'm just looking at it now.

Caroline Greer: I think it's a good proposal to me. He's suggesting that we break down into sub-groups according to four different categories. He's even gone as far as to suggest names based on our different backgrounds whether we're from a contractive party or non-contractive, etc. I propose going with that proposal. I think it seems a good way forward.

Ken Bour: Yeah. Anybody else have any comments about that?

Man: It's reasonable.

Ken Bour: Okay. That's terrific. One question that if Tim were here that I might ask him and I'll just ask the group, we're not required to stick with these four sort of categories.

He said - those look like four pretty good categories to me, let's go ahead and flush them out and here's the team assignments. Can anybody think of a category that ought to be in an operating model that...Do you think those four get it done? I'd hate to miss something large and not assign somebody to think about it.

Subbiah: Ken? This is Subbiah, I just joined the call.

Ken Bour: Hi Subbiah.

Subbiah: I don't know whether we are in Adobe Acrobat or not, I'm not able to get in. So I'm not able to put my hand up at the moment.

Ken Bour: No, no, no. We're not doing Adobe today.

Subbiah: Okay, all right. It just so happens that yesterday, when I thought about this a couple of days, I actually jotted down a couple of points about some additional things that could be added to this list.

Ken Bour: Great.

Subbiah: I'm kind of not - and just as I got in I heard you saying this. So, I could chip in a minute with one or two other additional points we may want to look at that will be added to this list. Although I'm afraid I right now am busy trying to read my chicken scratch handwriting to figure out what it was that I had in mind.

No, perhaps somebody else has some suggestions on this you can follow that while I'll just quickly scan my notes and I'll have my points ready.

Ken Bour: Okay. Anybody - does anybody else think of any other sort of major topics that wouldn't fit into one of these four classifications?

Obviously I couldn't think of any.

Subbiah: Okay, before I read my second point I think I have to figure out what my first point was. My first point was that if it - because this is kind of a check list, I guess, for the working group. Necessarily the working group will have to look into potentially bringing in experts, especially if it's not a policy issue but more of a technical issue as many times happens in ICANN.

And in that situation one should think in terms of how you select those people, correct? In terms of what is the (unintelligible) rules for how

you go about. And you want to make sure there's a neutral selection of such experts, number 1, and number 2 especially. If it is a company related point, especially with a (top) that many on the committee, they may be volunteers interested in the aspect of trying to solve it but they may not necessarily be experts on the technicalities of the topic.

In that case, would there be also provision or at least an attempt to tell the working group chair, before we even have our policy making sessions, conference call, perhaps we should get some experts and educate ourselves first for one or two phone calls. Just listen to people who are otherwise maybe more technical experts than the people who have committed to actually work within ICANN to come up with policy.

And then listen to them first and then move forward with (unintelligible). Those are my two related points that Part 1A and 1B of the extra point and then you could add somewhere in these four things.

Now, having said that I'm gonna just see what the feedback of everybody on this is while I go in to try to figure out what my second and last chicken scribbling was.

Ken Bour: Yeah, I guess...This is Ken, let me make a comment or so. And I just spent some quality time yesterday working on the other side of this question which is on the charter guidelines. And one of the things that we are asking that the charter guidelines deal with. So the sponsors have a responsibility, right, to determine what kind of team constitution a working group ought to have to solve some particular problem as to why it's even being commissioned.

And one of the things we asked them, that we will ask the sponsor to consider, and the people who draft the charter is what experts, consultants, advisors do you think this team needs to have in order to carry on it's work? So, it's going to get addressed in the charter for one.

Now, it's possible though, isn't it, that once a work team gets started maybe the sponsoring group left something out. They didn't think about something that their team needs in the way of expertise and the team figures it out.

So the question then is I think you're right. So maybe if the team doesn't feel it has some special expertise the operating model would guide them to say, if you think you're missing expertise that you need here's how you go about it. You contact your liaison and/or the chair or the chair gets back to the sponsor, in this case the council, and try to solicit the experts that you need.

So, do you think that would fit under roles and responsibilities?

Subbiah: I guess it would. And my own take on what you just said that seems perfectly fine and basically if you're lacking somebody you go back to the charter group to figure out how to bring that expertise in.

And that's perfectly fine. That takes care of part of it. The other part is...

Ken Bour: My only - my big concern at the moment is that would that issue that you just raised fit in one of the four categories? And I think it would fit under rolls and responsibilities.

Subbiah: Yes it could. I mean, you know...

Ken Bour: If not, what other category might you suggest...

Subbiah: No, no, no. I haven't thought about it, seriously enough.

Ken Bour: Okay, all right. Good.

Subbiah: To me it's just the issue...For me the categories themselves seem somewhat (unintelligible). Right? I mean, it's just a way of dividing things up.

Ken Bour: That's right.

Subbiah: The issues themselves don't matter. So, I'm less concerned about where it fits. It's a convenience matter.

But on the same point I would have thought that if you bring in...Okay, so, I think that in the formal structure of the operating model itself, and when you give a (unintelligible) a chance, they say hey, this is how you might want to proceed.

You can leave any of these steps in or out according to what you want to do. But on the other hand here's the list. In one of that (unintelligible) I think you might want to say that assuming that an option could be that...Assuming that the charter guideline people have already decided, yeah, you need some experts, right? Whether internal to the group or external on demand you bring in.

Now, if that has already been established at the charter level and now the working group chair takes over and it begins, I believe one of the things that could be recommended to the working group chair at his option or her option is at the very beginning to say let's listen to the experts.

Have it formally in there whether it was in the committee or outside of the committee if this is a technical thing or anything so that one can hear the background.

What I'm trying to say is that there is an optional step within the working model process right at the beginning where there's a clear understanding of maybe there's an educational step for everybody. And if so, that's the time to put it in before we begin discussion.

That might be something...

Ken Bour: I think that's a great point. And it certainly seems like it could fit into...Okay, so maybe the value and role of expert is accounted for in roles and responsibilities. But one of the norms that we could write into the norm section would be a good starting thing to consider as a new working group, especially in a complex technical area, is an education learning step.

I think that's what you're suggesting.

Subbiah: (Unintelligible).

Ken Bour: That might be a good norm to follow right off the bat. And so, again, I'm looking for - do we have the major classifications. And, the reason I

think that's important is because what Tim has suggested, maybe you haven't seen Tim's email.

Subbiah: I just read it before I came in.

Ken Bour: Oh, okay. Yeah. So, what Tim is saying is let's assign several or our individual participants to these categories. Well, if the categories are not exhausted and we haven't...Then we're not gonna end up...

Subbiah: Yeah, I understand.

Ken Bour: Okay, so that's all the reason I want to pay attention to that. So far I think the things that you've raised are good observations and they would fit within our structure. Anything else.

Subbiah: I'm just thinking of...You can go ahead with the discussion but I think there's another point here I'm just trying to figure out what it is (unintelligible).

Ken Bour: It sounds like everybody likes the idea that Tim has proposed. Any...

Subbiah: Yeah, I'm okay. If (unintelligible) into a couple of different people just trying (unintelligible) I'm fine with my part for that.

Ken Bour: Okay so you're...Anybody else not like their, who's on the call, position?

(Nacho Amadoz): Oh, Ken this is (Nacho). Well, I'm on the logistic and requirement team, so to speak, but my background might not help in that regards

because I'm a lawyer and I may not have the knowledge to know enough about corporate (unintelligible) and (unintelligible).

So, yes I might feel more comfortable under another topic.

Ken Bour: Would you like to pick one?

(Nacho Amadoz): Oh, yeah perhaps (unintelligible) or roles and responsibilities.

(Unintelligible) already.

Ken Bour: How about roles and responsibilities and I'll tell you why just because I'm not sure how much (Thomas) is going to be able participate.

(Nacho Amadoz): Okay, great.

Ken Bour: And right now we just have Alexey Mykhaylov there. So that might be a great...Although we....

(Nacho Amadoz): Yeah, it's fine. Fine.

Ken Bour: Does that make sense anybody? And that group - oh, okay. So I guess we need somebody else maybe for logistics and requirements.

Subbiah: And while we're thinking about that...I just brought up my second point that I had written up and I don't know if it fits in these four. I assume somewhere it will fit into one of these four categories. It haven't thought about it. But here's the thing, I think all of us, all ready, as you can tell in this call and the one that the charter group had and I've been on other committees.

And it gets...Participate no matter how well meaning it gets hard because of all the volunteers.

So, I'm thinking looking forward here about it may be a good idea...At the end of the day this becomes a very critical issue. Because that experience on some other committees that we'd come down to just a few people because people are busy, and then the next meeting other people are there and we can't keep track of our changes and so on. So, it ends up going down this path.

And perhaps - and so even though it's an operational issue it ends up actually affecting what goes on in these committees. And so I thought that looking forward maybe something that could be done and put it into the actual working group chair check list of sorts. Is to say up front when the charter deadline has been set up and the workshop proposal has been created, to actually send out a schedule, a really formal one.

I mean, you don't have to particularly stick to it but a formal schedule saying this thing is going to take six months or three months and we are going to have calls every second week on a Friday. Actual dates, actual times and people can discuss the changes afterwards within the working group.

But basically all set up and very clearly addressed as to what the commitments are; once every two weeks and that there will be an agenda sent out two days before the meeting or something like that. Some very specific thing should be put out at the very beginning or even before, pretty much, even before the workshop chair begins the job.

Meaning that the charter people have already drafted the need for one, now the working group chair has somehow been selected. He or she's about to recruit people to join the group. As they're beginning to recruit there's already a single sheet of paper somewhere that says this is exactly what we kind of think we can expect other than change but this is what we expect.

So, it gives people a real schedule out there in the first place before they commit and then it's pretty clear they have to follow through with what they're committing to.

I don't now. I just think that's a useful suggestion or step.

Ken Bour: This is Ken. So, I think Tim Ruiz showed some incredible insight in plotting you for logistics and requirements.

If you look at the tentative structure for the operating model under logistics and requirements the very first item under that bullet is session planning. Logistics requirements, frequency, agenda...So, yeah. That's - you're in the right place Subbiah.

Subbiah: Yeah. My point there is simply that an address should be made so that really upfront even before are recruited they kind of know. That's...

Ken Bour: I think you can clearly write that into the logistics and requirement section for sure. I think that's super.

Subbiah: All right. I have nothing more to say. That's about it.

Ken Bour: Okay, very good. We thank you. Does anybody else prefer a different category than what Tim had suggested other than (Nacho)?

All right, for the time being Subbiah I'll throw myself into logistics and requirements to assist unless you object.

Subbiah: No, it's perfectly fine.

Ken Bour: Okay. Great. Well, what...How do you guys want to proceed?

Subbiah: If I'm not mistake I'm gonna scan Tim's email just now before I just got on the call. It appears that what he would like us to do is, his is his suggestion, and I was thinking the same thing and I guess something Avri had also suggested for her group is that we should get...

We're all begin assigned to these groups. And what I guess what we're looking for fundamentally is by next week assuming, for instance, between you and me Ken on the logistics and requirements, I think, correct me if I'm wrong, the expectation somehow is that between now and next week for each of the four bullet points that are there we would write a small paragraph or something like that. Is that what the expectation is pretty much?

Ken Bour: My sense of it would be...So we'll just take logistics and requirements for example, right?

Subbiah: Yeah, yeah.

Ken Bour: Are those four sub-bullets sufficient or do we think that there should be some other things in logistics and requirements that should be added? And then...

Subbiah: Like (unintelligible)?

Ken Bour: Yeah, so maybe it turns out there's four listed there now and we think of two more and we end up with six. And then underneath that...Or take session planning, right, in (unintelligible) we say logistics, frequency, agenda and minutes. Maybe each one of those can be made into a sub-bullet if we still like them.

And then we write a sentence or two under each one as to what we mean. What do we mean by logistics? What kinds of things are we talking about there?

And so, all that would really happen is that section under logistics and requirements would be flushed out and prescribed in just a little bit more detail.

We would not try between now and May 6 to write out paragraphs and instruction and advice...

Subbiah: I see, okay. Got it, got it.

Ken Bour: ...drafting. Yeah, so really it's more about...

Subbiah: Chapter headings and sub-chapter headings.

Ken Bour: Yeah, right. I think so.

Subbiah: Okay.

Ken Bour: So, that's what we would be trying to do between now and the next meeting next week and then finishing it before the 6th of May.

Subbiah: Okay, got it. Just so that I know, I mean, I'm not aware, who else is on the call at the moment?

Ken Bour: Oh, sorry...

Subbiah: No, no. I came late.

Ken Bour: Alexey, (Alex) and (Alex), (Nacho), Caroline, and you, Subbiah.

Greg Ruth: And Greg.

Ken Bour: Oh, and Greg's here too. Right.

Subbiah: Oh Greg. Hi Greg.

Greg Ruth: Hi.

Caroline Greer: So, Ken, Caroline here, I suggest that we all just go off into sub-groups and do what work we can and then I guess we convene again at the same time next week and we all present our work to the group.

Our next formal kind of overall group call is on the sixth of May, isn't that right?

Ken Bour: Right, yeah. So, at that point we would want to turn over the operating model outline in it's, whatever state it's in, presumably it's in pretty good shape at that point and then if the entire team says yeah, that's a pretty good working, that's a great operating model, and so now after that it's like, okay, go write it.

Caroline Greer: Yeah.

Ken Bour: Yeah, what exactly are we going to put in it?

Super.

Subbiah: Okay, so are we on for a call at the same time next week? Well, actually next week no problem I can make it.

Ken Bour: Does anybody have a problem if we schedule another call at this time next week so that's Friday at 1500 UTC?

Subbiah: Okay, good.

Woman: (Unintelligible). (Unintelligible) any European (unintelligible) is the first of May which is usually a holiday all over Europe.

Man: Yeah, that's true.

Woman: (Unintelligible).

Man: Hey, but this is about volunteering. It's not Labor Day is it?

Ken Bour: May 1 is a holiday?

Woman: We've got at least three Europeans, I think, on the (unintelligible) now.

(Unintelligible).

Ken Bour: Okay. What holiday is it in Europe May 1?

Woman: May, it's Labor Day.

Man: Labor Day. Russian revolution.

Ken Bour: Oh.

Woman: Why don't we (unintelligible)?

Ken Bour: Well, does anybody think we should change the date or just keep it or what?

Caroline Greer: We could move it Thursday. Same time Thursday?

Subbiah: I'm okay with that as well, if everybody's okay.

(Nacho Amadoz): I would rather change it to Thursday, yeah.

Man: Yeah, I agree.

Ken Bour: Okay, so that would be April 30.

Caroline Greer: (Unintelligible).

Ken Bour: I'm sorry Glen is 1500 UTC on April 30 okay?

Glen DeSaintgery: So far I don't see anything Ken. (Unintelligible) put it in.

Ken Bour: Okay. All right, so we'll go ahead and schedule it for...I'll make sure that the summary that I create from this session will reference that time and Glen will send out a schedule.

Should we just use the same information that we already had Glen or do we send out something?

Glen DeSaintgery: No, no, no. I'll send...No, no, no. I'll send out the dial-in information and everything.

Ken Bour: Okay, fine. Okay, great. Thank you.

Glen DeSaintgery: I'll sent it to the people that have been indicated for this group. Is that correct?

Ken Bour: Correct and I'll...

Glen DeSaintgery: As well as big groups so that people can see what's going on.

Ken Bour: I will indicate in response to Tim's message as well in the minutes that (Nacho Amadoz) suggested or requested to go into roles and responsibilities. And I'll just temporarily move (Thomas) into logistics and requirements and he can weight in on that after I do it.

But if he ends up not begin able to participate I'll help out wherever I can.

Everybody else is okay, so, I guess we're done aren't we?

Man: Okay.

Woman: (Unintelligible).

Ken Bour: Does everybody have each others emails on your sub-teams and...? Is somebody...Maybe I could ask that somebody take the lead in each case.

That would be a good chair thing to do. I'm not the chair but I think a good chair would say, okay, in roles and responsibilities we'll either Alexey or (Nacho) agree to sort of be the lead there? Otherwise what I worry about is that...I'm waiting for you and you're waiting for me and neither one of us does anything.

At least somebody who can say I'm the lead.

Subbiah: I will start by assigning myself the logistics and requirements. Take you off the hook unless you want to.

Ken Bour: No, I think it's better for you to do it. So that would be great.

Subbiah: Okay. And then having stuck my neck forward I'm gonna just say, how about (Nacho)? You're a lawyer you take (unintelligible).

(Nacho) Amadoz: Okay I shall do it. Okay and people volunteered before I.

Ken Bour: Okay. Thank you guys. So, he's got the...So, roles and responsibilities has a lead. Logistics has a lead. We need a lead for norm.

It will have to be between Caroline and Greg.

Caroline Greer: I'll take it.

Ken Bour: Just because you're the only two who showed up.

Caroline Greer: I'll take it.

Ken Bour: Caroline, wonderful. Thank you. And products and outputs?

Man: I think Tim should be the one.

Ken Bour: I'm sorry, you think Tim should do it?

Man: Yeah, I think...

Ken Bour: Since he suggested this whole thing right?

Man: Yeah, like I'm sure I'm in a good group, right?

Ken Bour: All right, I'll go ahead and star Tim and ask him if that's okay.

I'm sure it will be fine.

Great. Well, then off you go. If there's anything I can do to assist please let me know.

Man: I have a question. Does this finish with the chair because, like we said, (unintelligible) when she was away, right?

Ken Bour: Oh, yeah. Thank you very much. I forgot about that. We were...The entire - having a chair for the operating model sub-team may not be that important since we've broken up into four separate groups. I don't know, what do you guys think? Do we need a chair at this point?

Man: I think it's a good idea that the ones that take the lead on logistics and requirements act also as a (unintelligible).

Ken Bour: It's a really clever group.

Subbiah: I blame my kids for this. I had to drop them off at school.

Ken Bour: That's right.

Subbiah: I don't think that...Personally I'm agreed with Ken on this that we probably don't need one. But I think for the sake of names I think we need somebody. I think maybe Tim and I should both stick our neck out on this and just make sure it gets done. I mean, that's all we're talking about it isn't it. It's getting the final document done.

So I think...

Ken Bour: Well, I think for next meeting, which would be the 30th, right?

Subbiah: Yeah, okay.

Ken Bour: It may be a brief little agenda and then just walk us through each of the teams. The lead would take over responsibility of saying, okay, here's what we've done. And I would suggest that to the extent that the teams can work in the wiki as they...If you want to see a model for how that's actually been done you can look over at the...What Avri and I and others have started contributing on the charter wiki section.

Hopefully you all have editing privileges to this wiki by logging in and you can go right in there and add some comments and start to flush it out.

If some category doesn't belong you can negotiate with the other team to add it from yours to theirs or whatever.

Subbiah: Okay.

Ken Bour: Of, if you feel more comfortable using email that's okay too.

Subbiah: Okay. So, I'll just say that I'll accept to being a rotating chair just for the next call. And what I will do then, perhaps the best way to expedite this would be that maybe a day or two, maybe by Wednesday or something or maybe Tuesday I'll send an email out to the leads, seeing whether it's possible that we could even maybe, before the call itself, get a hold of their (flushed) out list. So that we have that, and maybe then it can be put on the wiki somehow one way or the other and then we can actually get on just discussing it when we get on the call.

Ken Bour: One of the nice things about using the wiki is that it is public and everybody an sort of see the progress as it happens.

If we just have a second here, and we've got a few minutes before our hours up, maybe I...Back up if you would on that page. In fact, if you go over to incoming links and click on working group team which just takes you back one level and then scroll down to workplan and click on the charter guidelines.

Let's just go take a look at what the other team is doing real quickly. And...So at the very top you'll notice that there are participant notes. And so on Avri Doria on the 22nd said since our first meeting was only attended by two members we decided each of us would in turn add comments to the bullet points and then I added a comment on the 23rd in participant notes.

So, I can set the same structure up on our side. And then they had the same basic idea. There was a tentative structure for charter guidelines and under mission purpose and deliverables she made a comment and then I made a comment and the comments contained the persons initials at the end so that we can differentiate who said what.

And then you can start to see that under the first category, mission focus area scope. She said every charter needs a mission in a scope and then I said, should we add extra guidance here about characteristics?

This is potentially a way forward to just go ahead and build on each others ideas and then at some point we collapse all the notes into something that...

That's just an idea and I thought maybe by looking at this you could sort of see what the other team was doing.

It might provide some...There's also the capability to add comments at the very bottom by just clicking on the orange comment bucket and then that puts the comments at the very bottom.

Wiki's are not the most friendly documents or the most friendly environment for redlining and editing but with some protocols like we've done here on this other team it's possible to actually use it.

Just a suggestion.

Anybody have any other thoughts about that?

Subbiah: Okay. Possibly we'll use this time between now and including the next meeting as a way of getting on board and getting all of us kind of using this, hopefully.

Ken Bour: Right. So, I'll go ahead and set up a little note section on the working team model page and get it in that state and feel free though, all of you, if you want to play around with that concept that's fine.

Anybody have anything else to add? Thank you Subbiah for agreeing to be chair at least for one more meeting.

That by the way, that may be all this needed.

Subbiah: Right.

Ken Bour: Because after that we're done.

Subbiah: Okay. All right.

Ken Bour: Anybody else have anything they want to add?

Man: Nope.

Ken Bour: Great, well, what a productive call. What a productive group. Thank you very much. Fifty minutes in, ten minutes left to go. Let's go ahead and adjourn and we'll stop the recording. And I will put out sort of a brief summary of this discussion and the action items that we came too and I'll publish it to the list.

Subbiah: And can you make sure that right there you also put the actual...What you were just discussing the wiki page that we're (doing) absolutely upfront so that people know where to go?

Ken Bour: Absolutely. Great suggestion. I'll be sure to do that.

Man: Okay, thank you very much.

Ken Bour: Thanks everybody.

Subbiah: Okay, (unintelligible).

Woman: Thank you.

Ken Bour: Okay.

Man: Bye.

Ken Bour: Bye-bye.

END