ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 03-26-13/7:00 am CT Confirmation # 5153963 Page 1

ICANN Transcription Joint ccNSO GNSO IDN Working Group Tuesday 26 March 2013 at 12:00 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of Joint ccNSO GNSO IDN (JIG) Working Group on the Tuesday 26 March 2013 at 12:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-jig-20130326-en.mp3

On page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/calendar/#mar

Attendees:

Edmon Chung, RySG, Co-Chair Avri Doria, NCSG (Observer) Chris Dillon Fahd Batayneh, .jo Sarmad Hussein Jonathan Shea Minjung Park Jian Zhang Rafik Dammak, NCSG

ICANN Staff: Bart Boswinkel Julia Charvolen

Coordinator: Okay. Please go ahead. We're now recording.

Julia Charvolen: Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening welcome to the JIG

Working Group call on Tuesday, 26 March 2013.

ICANN

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 03-26-13/7:00 am CT

Confirmation # 5153963

Page 2

On the call today we have Edmon Chung, Avri Doria, Christopher Dillon, Fahd Batayneh, Sal Majusein, Jonathan Shea, Minjung Park and Rafik

Dammak.

We have no apologies so far. And from staff we have Bart Boswinkel and

myself Julia Charvolen.

May I remind all participants to please state their names before speaking for

transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you.

Edmon Chung:

Thank you. This is Edmon. And thank you everyone for joining the call. So I

sent an update on the draft that we are working on for the virtual acceptance

of IDN TLDs just a couple hours earlier.

And have a very brief agenda for today really just to go over the - that

particular report. I don't expect us going through everything again but just if

anything people want to bring up before we go into last call.

And then spend a little bit of time to talk about our open session that we're

planning in Beijing to sort of advertise what we're doing right now. So any

concerns, or additions or things people want to bring up before I move

ahead?

Okay hearing none I guess. So I - actually in the email I already highlighted

the changes that were incorporated into the latest draft.

The plan is that after today's call we would put the document out to the main

list for last call and hopefully have it published for public comments before the

Beijing ICANN meeting so people have a reference on it.

I'm not sure whether we have some kind of blackout before - a couple weeks

before the ICANN meeting whether that would be an issue but I'd like to get

it, you know, published in any case somehow at least get it up.

ICANN

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 03-26-13/7:00 am CT Confirmation # 5153963

Page 3

So just before we go into that I guess on the substance of the changes. For

the last three or four meetings we've been going through pretty much the -

each of the recommendations somewhat one by one.

And so this is the draft that incorporates all those discussions. And the latest

additions included that are the five points that I've summarized.

Of course on the last time we talked about rearranging the background

session to the end. I've done that. And I did not redline that particular chart

because then the whole document would be redlined.

So after doing that I started incorporating the other changes. So the redline

reflects accepted changes from last version and then plus the arrangement

and then the changes to the content.

So - and then there are a few changes as you would notice in the very

beginning. The - there was an additional sentence just to note that the report

is going to be submitted to the respective councils and the councils would

decide what to do with it. That's how the JIG is set up.

And then in - and then there was a point about the strategic plan. Bart

mentioned that -- and thank you Bart for helping draft the changes -- it would

be the edits have been incorporated to the version that was sent around.

And then the - Avri brought up the point about checklists and guidelines so all

those wording have been changed to informative reference material.

I don't know whether Avri you have - you might have a problem with that. We

can come back to that.

And then also the number of suggestions on when we do that the reference materials a (unintelligible), you know, suggestions from Chris on the - on those.

So with that I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or comments so far with the latest draft?

Avri Doria: This is Avri. I have only one small thing.

Edmon Chung: Go ahead.

Avri Doria: Having read it through just this morning fortunately I got up an hour early for

the call forgetting about daylight savings time so I had an hour to read it.

In that section that's - that has to do with development of informative

references. I think it's okay it doesn't say any of the things that I was worried

about.

One small recommendation in the bullets, you know, what the scope of the

resources should be you have a third bullet that says for other audiences.

I'm wondering if you'd be willing to change that to two bullets one of which

says for registrants and one of which says for Internet users?

Edmon Chung: I think that makes a lot of sense. I was pretty much cutting and pasting what

Chris drafted and...

Avri Doria: Yes. I'm not complaining. It's just all of a sudden I got other audiences. So

that was a small recommendation.

Edmon Chung: I think that works. Chris did you want to add anything to that?

Christopher Dillon: No. That's fine by me. It keeps it focused.

ICANN

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 03-26-13/7:00 am CT Confirmation # 5153963

Page 5

Edmon Chung:

So thank you Avri and Chris. I know it's - I did send it out pretty late. I

apologize again for it. But again we're not trying to make the decision now.

We'll - the idea is to then put it out for last call for any for the comments on

this. But I guess we'd like to hear from anyone if there are any issues with the

content as well as the plan forward?

Hearing none I guess that - and would like to talk a bit about the process in

getting this out to be published.

So I guess I'll make that change that Avri just suggested and I'll basically

attach back the public comments report that Bart put together at the very end

of the document.

And that would pretty much be the document that we'd like to put out for last

call. And we'll do that pretty much immediately after this call.

And then I guess we'll give it - I'll give it a week or so. But I guess the

question is is it possible to put out a document for public comments at such a

time perhaps, you know, really just essentially just before for the ICANN

meeting?

I don't know whether Bart or Julia you might have any information on that and

how we could go about doing that? Bart I'm not sure if you - are you still

there?

Julia Charvolen: Hello yes sorry I was on mute. Hello?

Edmon Chung:

Yes.

Julia Charvolen:

Could you repeat please I was submitting here everything because I was on

mute?

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

03-26-13/7:00 am CT Confirmation # 5153963

Page 6

Edmon Chung:

Okay. So the question is okay so we'll put the document up for last call. I'm, you know, guessing we would be able to complete it by the end of next week which is literally just before ICANN Beijing.

I was wondering if that is still it is still possible to actually put out the column for public comments at that time?

Julia Charvolen: Yes I believe so yes. I will check to be sure but yes.

Edmon Chung: Okay. And to just - as you check that just want to - if you can give me a, you

know, a lead time to put that together so that I guess when we should close

the last call for the document on the mailing list?

Julia Charvolen: Sure.

Edmon Chung:

Okay. With that then again please do take a look at the document and would like to get your comments or thoughts even if it's, you know, if you think that it looks good please do let us know through the mailing list.

So on the next topic is the session that we're planning for Beijing. I believe it's now set for Monday 4:30. On the timing of the session Bart I was wondering if we could move it up half an hour.

The reason for the request is that well actually two things I'll have to talk about. I do - I'm going to have a conflict with the AP (RABO) section on IDN which is at 5:00 PM I believe on the Monday.

So if we could start on at four we could have about an hour for this public session. And then I would seek to move to the AP (RABO) session.

I wonder Bart if you know if that's a possibility? I do see that the room is supposedly open for that half hour earlier here at least so far. Is Bart there I thought I heard the Bart was there?

Minjung Park: This is (Minjung). I think Bart has just sent us an email that he has to drop off.

I think he's not here for the time being.

Edmon Chung: Oh okay. Thank you (Minja) for alerting me to that. So I guess - so Julia

would you be able to help ask that question as well?

I'll send this so that we - to Bart as well. I think he has been helping us

arrange the time. But if it could be moved up half an hour it would be it would

work better.

Julia Charvolen: I can't answer right now but I will see with Glen how we can arrange this.

Edmon Chung: So it would be with Glen as well. So I guess I'll send a specific email on this

issue to yourself, Glen, and Bart then.

Julia Charvolen: Yes please.

Edmon Chung: Okay. So then moving on to the substance of the session I -in the email

earlier I did make a brief proposal for having a number of speeches, and

having a session pretty much focused on this draft final report, and to try to

get comments from the community on this.

So the idea is that we would present the final report a draft final report. And

then we'll have a number of speakers to share their comments on the report

specifically or some of their experience on the subject. And then come back

to each of the recommendations and go through them one by one.

And I anticipate just a little bit over an hour for the session. So that's pretty

much the suggestion.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

03-26-13/7:00 am CT Confirmation # 5153963

And I think it would be good to have people from the IDN ccTLDs, as well as

some people from those who are applying for IDN gTLDs, and also the

ICANN TLD acceptance team somebody from that team as well.

So that's the idea. I'll like to hear from everyone if anyone wants to speak or,

you know, think it wants the session and any ideas on the session please

speak up.

Oh one thing before that. I do not plan to spend too much time on

background. And, you know, (unintelligible) some of the issues about the

work flow acceptance because I think that has been discussed a few times in

the last couple years at ICANN meetings.

I'd like to focus more of the discussion on the recommendations of course

that there will be a little bit of background but I think the focus should be on

discussing about the recommendations and what to do about it. So with that

anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this?

Christopher Dillon: Edmon this is Chris speaking. I - I'm just confirming that we don't want to

do anything atoll about either single character IDN TLDs or IDN TLD variance

may not be enough time anyway?

Edmon Chung: Right. I think we can come back to those two topics when we have our

working group meeting.

Christopher Dillon: Okay.

Edmon Chung: We sort of scheduled for two hours in Beijing although right now they are

stuffed together and I'm going to have a conflict.

So as mentioned to Bart I will try to see if we can, you know, shift things

around or I will try to be in two places at one time which is more difficult but

it's also difficult to shift this ICANN schedule around so either way.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

03-26-13/7:00 am CT Confirmation # 5153963

Page 9

In any case I think now for our working group session we'll - I'd like to have

us, you know, come back to those two topics and see if we need to do any

work on it.

But on the public session which I'm, you know, I - the idea is to invite some

other speakers and also to invite more audience to that I think we will focus

on this particular topic.

Christopher Dillon:

Okay. Thank you.

Edmon Chung:

Okay. If there are no particular suggestions or ideas this is pretty much the -

today's call. And I'll go ahead and start inviting the speakers.

I guess myself and (Jane) will start inviting the speakers and keep everyone

updated on the mailing list as to the composition.

And if anyone would like to speak on the panel on this please let me or (Jane)

or know or just send it into the mailing list. Okay?

Minjung Park:

Edmon this is (Minjung).

Edmon Chung:

Yes.

Minjung Park:

When will this open session be held?

Edmon Chung:

In Beijing on Monday.

Minjung Park:

On Monday before the JIG meeting before at 4:00 PM or...

Edmon Chung:

That is the- that is the session.

Minjung Park:

Oh okay.

Edmon Chung: And I'm suggesting for it to update the names so that people know this is

what it is about. So I'll work with Glen and Bart on making those changes.

Minjung Park: Okay because either the Korean government or KISA would like to speak on

this session of about IDN ccTLDs but we are not quite sure for the time being

whether the time will be okay for us.

Edmon Chung: Yes. That is the session. It's currently marked as the JIG Working Group

meeting for the whole I think two hours or 1-1/2 hours I forgot exactly. But the

intent is that the first part of it would be this open session. And thank you for

volunteering.

Minjung Park: Thank you. And I also think that (Yao Nim) is also participating in the AP

(value) session that you were just talking about which starts in the...

Edmon Chung: Yes.

Minjung Park: ...at six, five or six okay then. All right.

Edmon Chung: Yes. So I am aware of the conflict there. And will work to make sure we have

at least - we clear at least one hour for this OP session.

Minjung Park: All right. Thank you.

Avri Doria: Yes (unintelligible) this is Avri.

Edmon Chung: (Shane) actually just...

Avri Doria: This really is a terrible time slot. It's just competing with so many things but

anyway.

Edmon Chung: That is very true. And...

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 03-26-13/7:00 am CT Confirmation # 5153963 Page 11

Avri Doria: (Unintelligible) and the new ccTLD agreement that's like okay.

Edmon Chung: Okay. So we'll try to fight for a better spot. I was looking at, you know, the

situation and besides the conflict as well.

But, you know, I guess everyone understands it's always tough scheduling the ICANN and I mean it's getting tougher and tougher scheduling the ICANN meeting. So we'll try our best to fight for a good one hour for this session and keep everyone undeted.

keep everyone updated.

Jay Daly: Hello.

Edmon Chung: So if we can...

Jian Zhang: Hello.

Edmon Chung: Hi (Jian).

Jian Zhang: Yes sorry I was late. I'm sorry we're talking about ICANN Beijing meeting

right?

Edmon Chung: Yes. No worries. I'll just give you a very quick recap. We just went through

quickly the updates to the draft document that will be put out for last call after

this call.

We'll work with Bart and Glen to try to get a probably be better timeslot for the

open meeting which we will talk about the universal acceptance of IDN TLDs.

And right now it conflicts with some of - another session that is talking about

IDN TLDs. So I think we should definitely try to avoid that.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 03-26-13/7:00 am CT Confirmation # 5153963

Page 12

And then I just quickly talked about the session itself which I pretty much

included in the earlier email.

And we're just about to close the call because I think we're done for today

unless you wanted to bring up any other thing.

Jian Zhang: No not really. Actually I, you know, I have same concern about the timing our

in our session. So...

Edmon Chung: Yes. I'll - you'll be in the loop. And we'll try to fight for a better timeslot even

though it's very busy ICANN meeting and I think we can at least make slight

adjustments.

So unfortunately Bart is not on the call but in any case we will be able to do

this live anyway so we'll follow up with this an update (unintelligible).

Jian Zhang: Okay.

Edmon Chung: So with that I guess if there are no further comments on this I would like to

thank you everyone for joining the call and glad that this is a short and

efficient call I guess and see everyone in Beijing.

Avri Doria: Safe travels everyone.

Man: Thank you Edmon.

Man: Thank you.

Woman: See you in Beijing

Man: Thank you everybody.

Man: Bye-bye.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 03-26-13/7:00 am CT Confirmation # 5153963 Page 13

Woman: Bye-bye.

Man: Bye.

Man: Bye.

END