SO/AC New gTLD Applicant Support Working Group (JAS) TRANSCRIPT Friday 04 February 2010 at 1300 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the SO/AC new gTLD Applicant Support Working Group (JAS) Friday 04 February 2011 at 13:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-jas-20110204-en.mp3
On page:

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar#feb

(transcripts and recordings are found on the calendar page)

Participants on the Call:

ALAC

Andrew Mack – CBUC
Alan Greenberg – ALAC
Cintra Sooknanan - At–Large
Tijani Ben Jemaa – ALAC
Rafik Dammak - NCSG - Council liaison, Co-Chair
Evan Leibovitch – ALAC
Baudoin Schombe - At–Large

GNSO

Avri Doria – NCSG Fabien Betremieux - Individual – AFNIC Sebastien Bachollet – ICANN Board Member

ICANN staff

Gisella Gruber-White Karla Valente

Apologies:

Eric Brunner-Williams - At-Large Carlton Samuels - ALAC - Co-Chair Olivier Crepin-Leblond - ALAC Chair Tony Harris - ISPCP Alex Gakuru - NCSG Carlos Aguirre - At Large Cheryl Langdon-Orr - ALAC

Michele NeylonCoordinator: Thank you. The recordings have been started. Please go ahead.

Gisella Gruber-White: Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone on

today's JAS call on Friday the 4th of February. We have Tijani Ben Jemaa.

Rafik Dammak, Cintra Sooknanan, Baudouin Schombe, Sebastien Bacholett,

Avri Doria, Alan Greenberg from staff, Karla Valente and myself Gisella

Gruber-White and apologies noted from Alex Gakuru, Carlos Aquirre, Olivier

Crepin-Leblond, Tony Harris and Carlton Samuels. If I could please also

remind everyone to state your names when speaking for transcript purposes.

Thank you, over to you Rafik.

Rafik Dammak: Thank you Gisella. Hello everyone. Thank you for joining the call - today call.

So - yes?

Gisella Gruber-White: Can everyone hear Rafik?

Man: Not well, but yes.

Gisella Gruber-White: Yes.

Man: Not well yes, not well.

Rafik Dammak: Strange.

Tijani Ben Jemaa: Okay, now it's good.

Rafik Dammak: Yes, there is an echo now.

Tijani Ben Jemaa: Yes.

Rafik Dammak: Okay, hello everyone. Thank you for joining the call, today call. First I want - I

would like to know if there is any update in your SOI DOI?

Okay hearing none, as we agreed before every - each work team leader will report what's - what was done through the last call and we can discuss about

what was exchanged in the mailing list. I think we can start with work team A

and B.

And I think that Tony's - and Tijani's had some suggestions - or maybe we

can. So Tijani can report that's happened and we can discuss about that.

Tijani please go ahead.

Tijani Ben Jemaa: Thank you Rafik. I don't have a lot of things to say today because I didn't - I

didn't advance any more since last time.

We are still gathering more and more - there's more and experience and HBT

criterias. And (Sintra) will put it on a Google doc document that will be shared

on the list so that you can contribute or you can add your ideas.

But please if you have already some experience or some I don't know, some

models that you know or some links that you know in which we can have

some information please provide them. So we are really looking for more

contribution, that's all.

Rafik Dammak:

Thank you. So we also agreed last time that each work team will define what

is needed expertise. So do you need some specific expertise that we should

looking for or so some suggestion and maybe we can help on that matter?

Tijani Ben Jemaa: Right now so far we - I don't think we will ask for competencies. But if there is

competencies they are welcome.

We do want them, but it is not - if you want - now it is not the need. Now the

need is to gather information so that we can begin to draft something.

And we are - we always need competencies if there is competencies.

Rafik Dammak:

So any comments from the working group members?

Page 4

(Sintra Sucanan): Rafik hi. I - I'm actually still connecting to Adobe Connect so I couldn't put up

my hand. I...

Rafik Dammak: Hit refresh.

((Crosstalk))

(Sintra Sucanan): Sure, thank you. This is (Sintra). I just wanted to mention that I am putting

together a lot of these sources from Tijani as well as a few comments from

(Carlton), a few resources that I found, a lot of the eligibility criteria are the

same. So I'm grouping these. So that's what is taking me time.

So once I do share that document it would be kind of coherent and just a

matter of weaving out which criteria we think are relevant or irrelevant okay?

Thank you.

Rafik Dammak:

Thank you (Sintra). Just I think I remember that we also discussed maybe

two weeks ago about defining metrics.

So I understand that you are now gathering data and collecting some

examples. But maybe it - may be good to look about some define matrix that

will help to define eligibility.

Avri Doria:

Okay.

Tijani Ben Jemaa: Exactly. It's - a lot of it it's exactly what we intend to do. It's - the thing we are

doing now is to try to get any information about any kind of eligibility criteria

and any kind of metrics that we can use to define the mechanism. So it is the

aim.

Rafik Dammak:

So may I suggest that when you collect as much data as you can so then

trying to highlight what are the common eligibility criteria in those examples.

And those who how to say, just to belong to some other examples of it maybe and also to prioritize or something so following different process to see how we can do that.

Any comments please, please?

Gisella, I don't see all working group members in Adobe Connect so...

Gisella Gruber-White: Well they're coming. I haven't got any requests waiting.

Andrew Mack: This is Andrew. I just - I - I'm sorry, apologize...

Gisella Gruber-White: Welcome Andrew.

Andrew Mack: ...for the delay but I'm just trying to get in now.

Gisella Gruber-White: Yes, yes.

Rafik Dammak: Okay Andrew, yes please. Okay so okay not sure that you have more

comments for work team A and B so maybe we can move to the next work

team. Avri are you ready?

Avri Doria: Sure. I don't have that much to say. This is Avri.

Rafik Dammak: Yes, you can say something, you know.

Avri Doria: I - oh (Felicia). Oh sorry, I don't know if I'm (interference).

I did send out what I thought was the first, you know, was a set of skills. I thought we were doing an outreach and we were going to list specific skills. So I listed a couple. No one has added to it yet. Of course I don't know who

we have that's actually organizing and coordinating this specific to our outreach letter and writing it. But that - not volunteering.

We, you know, haven't done much since the last meeting and there still is no access to the wiki site that I know of. So I haven't tried to start, you know, drafting the documents that I'd like people to help draft. So that's pretty much it.

Rafik Dammak: Thank you Avri. Karla please go ahead.

Karla Valente: Yes I wanted to give an update on the wiki. So I'm working with the (ICE). We

have begin (sic) to move the wiki from the ALAC page to (unintelligible) community space which should allow everyone to have access hopefully by

the next meeting that we have on Tuesday.

Avri Doria: Okay that'd be nice. This is the new regime that if it's in a particular space

and you're not allowed rights to that space then there's absolutely no way you

ever get rights to that space.

Okay, whatever. When - when it's there I'll believe it and I'll see it but thank

you for your efforts.

((Crosstalk))

Sebastien Bacholett: Just I - it's Sebastien. I would like to comment at this point.

Rafik Dammak: Okay Sebastien, please go ahead.

Sebastien Bacholett: Yes I think Avri you are too kind this time. We need as member of the

communities a tool to work. And as the schedule quite tight on this subject

because the decision has been taken for the new gTLD are fully in the San

Francisco meeting. If some - the group is not to work for IT questions during

two or three weeks it's not fair at all.

Page 7

And I know Karla you are not the one in charge of but they can't wait for so much time. It's really needed to be fixed as soon as possible and not in three

days more. It's mandatory for this group to work and to be able to access the

wiki. It's very important. Thank you.

Rafik Dammak:

Thank you Sebastien. Avri just to (replay) about the outreach I'm trying. It's more that Karla would help to - that because in the last call we have many suggestions and we try to correlate and to correct him. And then we will manage that and to see which are the target that we should send to them our outreach letter and who we should contact.

So I will try to hand those - have that soon as possible.

Avri Doria:

Fantastic, thank you.

Rafik Dammak:

And but any help is welcome to so any suggestion. Andrew, please go ahead.

Andrew Mack:

Yes, first of all thank you Avri for putting together that - the note. I actually agree that those are good skills to be looking for.

I do think we have some experience within our group in that space. I have some experience myself in that space. But I think getting more experience on our side would be terrific and probably very important.

I did take the liberty because our offices are - is not far from the World Bank of talking to some people I know at the bank just to get a sense of where, you know, where they are and whether this issue on their radar screen and things like that every informally, nothing, you know, nothing that would - just very informally between contacts.

And the impression that I get is that this is not very close to their thinking right now. And that one of the ways that it'll be useful for us to look at this is - or to

Page 8

present it if we're going to present it to them is to present it very much in terms of their development agenda and in terms of the impact if any that it

might have development in emerging markets so if that makes any sense.

And, you know, I think that there's a possibility there as one funding source, don't think so much for the Inter-American development bank as another

potential source that I've been poking around at.

But just wanted to say that I've done tiny bit of very, very preliminary

discussing with people just to see if it's on their radar.

Rafik Dammak: Thank you Andrew for your response there. Yes, that's very encouraging. I'm

not sure, I think that the World Bank has like a kind of what they call it, the

ICT Strategy.

Now maybe we - I'm not sure - I'm not really familiar toward bank activities

but I think they have - it has experience on ICT 4 development. And then the

new gTLD program for developing countries should interest them.

Avri do you want to comment on...

Avri Doria: Yes, I will comment I...

Rafik Dammak: Yes, yes. Oh yes, I just saw, yes sorry. Please go ahead.

Avri Doria: Thank you. It's Avri. Thank you Andrew. And as you saw in my note I was

very careful to say not that we don't already have some of the skill and...

Andrew Mack: No I understand, no worries. I didn't mean - I didn't take that wrong at all.

Avri Doria: Right. I appreciate you mentioning which of those skills you have and

(unintelligible).

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

02-04-11/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 1083243

Page 9

And I think that you're absolutely right, that's one of the reasons why last time

when I was talking about putting together letters, putting together more than

letters, putting together, you know, little virtual prospectuses, prospecti. But

anyhow that, you know, they would be directed.

So perhaps part of what we need to do once we have access to a place of

doing it and of course we can start collecting it in our own space and sending

it back and forth now is coming up with outlines of things we would need to

say.

In other words if we're going to go and talk to registries and registrars and try

to get the rich ones to contribute to a fund what would (unintelligible).

If we're going to go to the World Bank and others of their ilk what would we

say?

If we're going to speak to TLDs who have, you know, either they have their

own foundations or, you know, like (Nominat) or they just have, you know, a

fair surplus of cash what do we say?

And some of that will be common between all of them, you know, describing

the process and who it's directed to and stuff.

And some of that will probably be very directed. And so I think, you know, the

point you made was really quite good. And we have to figure out and perhaps

that's another thing we could start collecting somehow is figure out what kind

of information and what collateral is necessary with that information for each

of the sectors we would like to try and approach to get interest.

So thanks for doing that. I think we need to find a way to sort of collect these

other than them being discussed on this, but sort of collect these I have a

approached and so and this is what I've gotten information even if it doesn't

include the personal information which, you know, you may or may not want

to share. But certainly just so that we start having sort of a backup of what we're doing. But thank you and great.

Rafik Dammak: Thank you Avri. Okay so Karla please go ahead. Karla?

Karla Valente: Yes I was thinking about what Avri just said and wanted to suggest that

maybe one of the things we could do is to create and expression of interest of something that we can publish on our Web site as well as an announcement so it's open to everybody, you know, all of the different organizations and that in addition to any materials that we have when we meet with them and hand over the information we can respond to the Web site so they understand the

legitimacy and they understand, you know, what we are doing.

Avri Doria: This is Avri. I think that's a great idea. We probably have to call it something

different but I think that's a good idea. Because that...

((Crosstalk)).

Avri Doria: ...could we used. But yes...

Karla Valente: This was - yes, it's - if it's not a special - because I don't think it's an RFP

right, that we want?

Avri Doria: It's not an - I think your idea's right. I think your name is right. But since we

used expression of interest as the pre-definition of what name you wanted to apply for, movement half a year ago I think we'd have to come up with a

different name. But other than that I think it's a great idea.

Karla Valente: Okay.

Avri Doria: And you're right, it's not an RFP. It's a, you know, it's a pledge drive.

Rafik Dammak: Maybe we should start to draft this letter?

Avri Doria: You're getting faint Rafik, but yes. And that's what we have to start doing is

sort of drafting pieces of text and then putting them together (unintelligible) the group to look at them, say yes, yes, that's good, no, no, no, no l

wouldn't say that, you know.

Rafik Dammak: Avri let me think, you said you launch the resist for (unintelligible).

((Crosstalk))

Avri Doria: I cannot understand what you're saying, sorry.

Rafik Dammak: Just you mentioned that to approach registrar and registries the rich one

but...

Avri Doria: Yes.

Rafik Dammak: ...I'm not sure if we can wait until the San Francisco meeting. We try that they

will all - almost all, all of them present there. And then we can like to make a mature presentation or something or just to try to now to contact them by -

like by email like kind of formal request. What do you think?

Avri Doria: Yes I'll - Andrew's got his hand up so I'll defer.

Andrew Mack: Hello...

Rafik Dammak: Yes?

((Crosstalk))

Andrew Mack: Yes. Let - this is - I guess this is kind of related so let me just drop it in real

quick is that I agree 100% let's create a little bank of collateral. You know, the

way that we describe ourselves should be the same from group to group and

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

02-04-11/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 1083243

Page 12

from person to person. That'll save us time and it'll also make us more

coherent. I agree with that a lot.

The second thing is it's just a tiny bit of feedback as we're thinking about that which is in part because this is perceived in many parts of the outside world as a little bit obscure and in part because of the fact that - in part because of just the nature of some of the places that we're looking to go I - the - some of the advice that I got was to really try and see as much as possible whether

we can make the - make the benefit jump out, the concrete benefit jump out.

So the - in the - some of the conversations that I've had, the question was okay fine, so if you get support how will this - do you have a way of

measuring that this will tangibly benefit people and things along those lines?

And so I don't know, I think we've thought about that in broad senses but I don't know if we have any more tangible data or more tangible sense of that. And I would be interested in hearing how people might propose that we go about doing that. Because making it concrete is absolutely something that I think we would want to do.

If we're going to get - if we're going to really get resources I think that's something that we're going to need. Thanks.

Rafik Dammak:

Thank you Andrew. We have Karla in the queue and also Avri.

Avri Doria:

Thank you.

Rafik Dammak:

So please Karla go ahead.

Karla Valente:

Yes so in relation to the - in relation to getting help from others there was a broad resolution. And in this broad resolution they ask staff to put together space in which applicants in need of support and organizations or entities that are willing to offer support could, you know, be displayed and enter their data.

Page 13

So one of the ideas is that as we do this outreach we have this stage ready, you know. And I started to do some mockup and talked to (Chris) about it,

you know, how to go about this page.

And I think that this would be a good idea or something easy so people can maybe self-elect or enter information in this page and we would have a

comprehensive list. So this is one point.

The second point was that we can reach out to registries and registrars from ICANN internally. I can work with the registrar team and others to try to reach out to cTLDs. I think it's a little bit more difficult than that. But the gTLDs is

very easy because there's mailing lists for them.

And the third one is the marketing materials or the collateral that we want I can start or help address something. But I need to understand exactly what

we are asking. And this is not very clear to me. Thank you.

Rafik Dammak:

Thank you Karla. That's - yes, great suggestion. So we have Andrew and

Avri. I think Avri was first. Avri please go ahead.

Avri Doria:

Well Andrew was actually first but that was from before. Right, okay. Thanks. Okay a couple points. I think in terms of reaching out to registrars and registries at this point taking the individual thing, until we've got you know, a real appeal and we know what we're doing, you know, at this point it looks like I don't know that we need to talk to those specifically as a group in San Francisco.

I think if we're, you know, ready to talk to them in Amman as a group assuming we get to Amman because we won't have started the four month clock until then. So everything has been moved off.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 02-04-11/9:00 am CT

Confirmation # 1083243

Page 14

So I think that, you know, talking to them individually, getting the individual

buzz up, perhaps eventually getting something to their list once we have

materials.

I think when we're talking to registries and registrars we don't have to tell

them what the value of having a gTLD is.

I think you're right Andrew for the - we kind of assumed that this is a good

thing to have that will spur development and will make communities culturally

and linguistically richer and more secure and perhaps even help them in their

developmental causes.

But that's an argument that we haven't developed. I don't know if staff has

developed any of it at all as part of their general gTLD outreach of going to

the world and saying here's this great new thing you can do and this - and it's

great because. So I don't know if...

((Crosstalk))

Avri Doria:

...got any of that but Andrew I think you're absolutely right that, you know,

getting those kinds of arguments together of well why - in fact I think there's a

lot of people even within our own community that sort of say hey, you know,

these things are for rich people to make profits, more profits. These things,

you know, won't help a community pull itself out of poverty into, you know,

something.

So if we think that it is the case that it will right, we need to write that up and

explain that somewhere. And I think that's a good thing for this group, this

small team to start developing and having other people kick in with.

I - Karla, I think the idea - I didn't realize that the board had quite specified

that there'd be such a space. I think that if this workgroup is allowed, and

especially this team, but this workgroup is allowed to - working group is

allowed to help contribute to how that gets figured out and the information that goes there, I think that that's great. That's the beginning of sort of the exchange - the here's the information, here's access, here's resources and how you get them, you know.

Once team AB has its criteria set out on what you need to qualify, it's great to know that that space will be there and that it will be possible to use it. So, you know, as much - in terms of knowing exactly what needs to go there, I think we're figuring that out at the moment. Thanks.

Rafik Dammak: Thanks Avri. Karla your hand is still raised. You want to speak?

Karla Valente: No, I do not. I'm sorry. Just lowered the hand.

Rafik Dammak: Okay. Thank you. Okay. Any further comment for this work team? No?

So I'm not sure that we can move to the next one as we don't have the leader of this work team. And I think we have only Avri as a volunteer. I'm not sure (unintelligible)...

Avri Doria: We've not had - we haven't done anything as far as I know.

Rafik Dammak: Yes. That's why - but I think that for this time, we think that for this time we have (Fabian) and I think that it's one of the people here that he have (unintelligible) expertise, so maybe if he can, you know, to make some suggestion if he is willing. (Fabian), can you hear me? Okay. (Unintelligible).

Gisella Gruber-White: He should be able to hear you. He's not on mute.

Rafik Dammak: Okay. So, yes, because that's right, okay. So then maybe if he want to talk later, but we can now move to the work team about the IDN if - I'm not sure if Andrew, you have something to report? Any progress on this work team?

Andrew Mack: Sorry.

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: Sorry.

Andrew Mack: My apologies. A little - can you hear me?

Rafik Dammak: Sorry, Andrew?

Andrew Mack: Hello? Yes, sir?

Rafik Dammak: Yes, yes, yes.

Andrew Mack: We've done a little bit of work. I mean, it's a - as you know, it's a short time

between calls, but what we have done is to try to reach out a little bit to some of the people directly affected by this, and I've had some good conversations

with them.

We are also in a similar vein to what we discussed with the funding group trying to come up with some concrete examples of how this would work and what is the - you know, the most obvious ways to - what are the most obvious questions that we can get solved? And have been looking at some test cases, for example, like the idea of a community like Bengali where we might have a desire to have a - using - the kind of example of a community that might want to represent itself in a number of different scripts and things like that.

We are looking - I'm try - I've reached out to some people that we know who've expressed interest in this subject in Pakistan, and we're waiting to hear back from them to get their take on it, because we know that that's an area where it's come up in a number of meetings where the Web is in English

and the population is mostly not, and so this is a very front and center issue in their minds.

And those are the kinds of things we're - that we're doing right now. It's - we're still waiting to hear back from a number of people, so we'll be back with you in the near term.

Rafik Dammak: (Unintelligible), yes. Okay. Any comments?

Andrew Mack: I might ask one thing if I could, Rafik.

Rafik Dammak: Yes, please.

Andrew Mack: Which is we have - you know, Eric and Tijani and I who are - make up the

guts of this group are obviously - obviously have our own networks. But if there are other people within our working group or other people that you'd recommend. We're trying to take this from being - you know, we're in the same situation as with the funding group in the sense that we're trying to move this from something that appears or feels theoretical to something that

might be much more - feel like much more of a practical example.

So if anyone on this group has some contact in the IDN world that they'd recommend that we reach out to to get some good advice or how you think might be, you know, particularly interested as a user or something along those lines, by all means, please shoot that to us, and we will follow up.

Rafik Dammak: Thank you. Andrew, just asking, what do you want exactly? Some kind of

(unintelligible)?

Andrew Mack: Sure. Well, we're looking for the obvious - good question, Rafik. I'm sorry.

You know, we're trying to do it to take this away from the theoretical, right?

And so our idea is to talk with different people who might say, "Were this a

possibility, I'd be interested," or, "I think that there's a need for this."

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 02-04-11/9:00 am CT

Confirmation # 1083243 Page 18

So we've got - well, for example, the person in Pakistan that I'm talking to is

an ICANN guy who's mentioned this on a number of occasions. I want to dive

into how he - what his thoughts are on this and how he sees that it might be

used in Pakistan.

One of the key things that we don't want to do is to assume that we have -

because we've been working on this issue a long time, that we have a clear

sense of the - all the different ways that this might play itself out in terms of

demand and also in terms of development impact. So to get some authentic

voices from the actual IDN community I think would be very helpful.

Rafik Dammak: Yes, I understand - how to say? I understand the - your request, but I'm not

sure, because usually it - maybe for IDN community, usually, if we are going

to ask them, it's more about difficult issues related to IDN.

Andrew Mack: Right. I think - okay. Let me - Rafik, if it - maybe if it would be easier, let me

try to put it down in a formal request, okay? And then I'll send it out to the

group.

Rafik Dammak: Okay.

Andrew Mack: You know, just put it...

Rafik Dammak: (Unintelligible).

Andrew Mack: I - we're not specifically talking about the technical aspects of it, although one

of the things that we have been discussing is how much is it - you know, if we

wanted to move - if a community wanted to be represented in multiple scripts,

how much is it really in terms of cost for them to make that incremental

change? And I think we all agree it's not 185, and what - we just don't know

what the final number is, but we've had a little bit of discussion around that.

That's mostly Eric's area.

But my goal would be to try to reach out to some of these other people and say, "Is this - you know, how would you go about this, and if it's vital for you?" and - I'll put - I'll send something (unintelligible) no problem.

Rafik Dammak: Okay, it works. Okay, any comments? Guys, you are so silent today. Okay.

Okay. So I think we covered the - all the work teams that we have, the

leaders, today. Karla, please go ahead.

Karla Valente: Yes, I - it was something related to the San Francisco meeting. I can wait for

you to finish.

Rafik Dammak: No, it's okay. You can go ahead, please.

Karla Valente: So the working team - I just wanted to confirm. The working team does not

want to have any public session at this point, but you wanted to have a space for a face-to-face meeting. What I need to know is what day and for how long do you need the space and maybe do the different working groups need to

have different meeting spaces and times and locations or is there just one for

this whole group?

Rafik Dammak: Okay. Well, that's a good question. So for last time - for the last meeting, I

don't think that we had the session -- face-to-face session. So I'm not sure about the date, but I think because usually for (unintelligible) it's quite hectic

in the first days, maybe we can have a session in Thursday. Yes, I agree,

Thursday.

And so we have five work teams. I'm not sure how we can - at least we have face-to-face for all working group members, and then we can discuss about all the progress that was done in the all work teams.

Thursday, 8:00 am, I'm not sure, Karla. So maybe we can have, like, (unintelligible) or something like that to see or just we have to request the time now?

Karla Valente:

We don't have to request the time right now, but that would be helpful, because then when they open the meeting agenda, I can go right away and reserve for us as soon as possible. So if I have some guidance on the day and the time, it'd be good, because then I can, you know, ensure we get a good room to meet.

Rafik Dammak:

Yes, just to - let's say, to avoid any session from (unintelligible), that will make it more easy to find the time. (Unintelligible), please go ahead.

Man:

Yes, Karla, you asked about having a session for the whole group or sessions for different teams, isn't it? Did you ask this question?

Karla Valente: I asl

I asked whether or not the different...

Man:

Okay.

Karla Valente:

...teams want...

Man:

Okay, so I...

Karla Valente:

...their own meeting space.

Man:

So I will answer this question. I do think that we need a meeting for the whole working group, because the work of the work teams have to be, I would say, almost done by San Francisco. And what we need is coordination is perhaps by having more harmonious outcomes. That's why I think that we need the face-to-face meeting for the whole group.

Rafik Dammak:

Anyway, I think the different work teams member can meet informally during the San Francisco meeting, so it should be okay. But yes, we should have, as you said before, face-to-face meeting for the whole working group members.

Okay, Andrew, please go ahead.

Andrew Mack:

Yes, I hate to be a little bit of a downer here, but I think we will do ourselves a big favor if we're realistic about what can and cannot be accomplished between now and San Francisco. The - I mean, if you think about the number of things, some of these things should be fairly straightforward, and those things that are fairly straightforward we should certainly do. But some of these things along the lines of fundraising and others, those just take time.

I mean, any successful appeal, especially one coming from a relatively new-you know, new entity, they take time, and I absolutely agree with (unintelligible). I think we should have a meeting. I think that we can - we should have that as a meeting as a whole probably informally with us so that we can try to work out, you know, outstanding issues. I agree 100%.

But I'm - I just - I'm honestly a little concerned that we set our - we don't want to set ourselves up for failure. It will take some time to work out some of these details. And I don't know. I'm - I just I hear us saying we want to have them - have everything done by San Francisco, and I don't know, maybe I'm the only one, but I'm a little concerned that we're - that that may not be realistic.

Rafik Dammak:

Yes, Andrew, I agree with you. I guess let's say to reach some level of (unintelligible) for San Francisco meeting. It will be challenging, but let's try to do our best.

Avri, please go ahead.

Avri Doria:

Yes, thanks. This is Avri. I agree with Andrew. I mean, at the moment, we're talking about a month left, so we have to try and have as much done as we can. And it'd be good if we at least have outlines, we at least have drafts, we at least have stuff to talk about. As opposed to talking about what we're going to do, start talking about materials we have assembled.

But we've got until June now, and of course, that's just the latest. I mean, you know, we could have another Charlie Brown moment between now and June, you know. So at the moment, they -- the Powers That Be -- have pushed things back to at least June before the four-month alarm goes off.

So that's not a lot of time, but it's certainly not what it was three days ago where we thought the four-month alarm was going off at San Francisco. So no need to relax, but certainly as long as we've got some substance to talk about in San Francisco, I believe we'll be doing well. Thanks.

Rafik Dammak:

Yes, thanks, Avri, yes. Yes, I agree that you should have at least -- yeah -- something substantive for San Francisco. (Unintelligible) it's we have a tight schedule, but just to not - how to say? Let's try to do our best.

Okay, any comments? Andrew, please go ahead.

Andrew Mack:

Thanks. Just one question for the group, and I don't necessarily know if I have a clear mind on this one. But I think that there is a little bit of a diplomatic thing that we're trying to do simultaneous to solving the problems. And I throw this out to the group as a question. What, if any, communication do we want to have whether at San Francisco or in other forums with the two chartering bodies or the two supporting bodies or - you know, who do we want - is there any kind of a formal communication that we would like to have as an interim step with the people who are looking over our shoulder?

Rafik Dammak: Yes, Avri, go ahead.

Avri Doria:

Yes, I don't know that we need to have much of anything. I mean, certainly, in San Francisco, I'm sure that each of our chairs will have to make some sort of update to the charting group to give us that -- update of where we're at. You know, the GNSO had great old time discussing it.

As far as I could tell, they're not protesting us working under a unionized charter and, you know, making it quite clear that at the end of the day they want to review everything not just the things they charter to comment on them. Way cool. Let's see what happens.

You know, ALAC will probably finish up its approval of the union. We got to keep them apprised, but at this point, you know, unless there's something we want from them, I think we could just ignore them and get about our work. They're here half the time. Some of them - well, not that many people from the GNSO, I mean, but we do have, you know, a councilmember as our chair, so we definitely have contact with the GNSO.

And I guess Carlton is an ALAC member, so I mean, we're completely plugged in as much as we need to. I don't think, other than giving status reports or if there's anything we want from them, I don't see why we have to worry about them. Thanks.

Rafik Dammak: Yes, thank you, Avri. Yes, just to reply...

Avri Doria: Say it again.

Rafik Dammak: Yes, to reply to Andrew. Yes, I agree with Avri, we shouldn't worry too much now about our (unintelligible) organization. We had that discussion yesterday

in the GNSO council call. And so let this working group continue working on

the task that it has from the GNSO and ALAC.

And so at the end of - when we will submit our reports in and we decide to proceed in a different way, but don't - so in the - this working group, I don't

Page 24

recommend to be worried about what will happen at this stage. So let's work.

We have some work to do.

And for the GNSO council for the San Francisco meeting, yes, there will be a

session about our working group, and I guess I will give a status report at the

time.

Andrew, please go ahead.

Andrew Mack:

Last comment on this thought. I agree with you - everybody completely. I wasn't suggesting that we look for approval so much as I was asking about

whether we wish to proactively communicate with them to show motion and

movement, you know, but on our terms. And I'm not sure what the answer is

to that.

I think if we go silent for a number of months, that may be a benefit to us, but

it also may not be. And so I leave that to the group to think about. But it may

be worthwhile for us to have something to send forward to say - effectively

some sort of an equivalent of a status update, you know. That's all.

Rafik Dammak:

Yes, Andrew. That's exactly what I said, that we will have - there will be an

update session for the - our working group to GNSO council, I think, in San

Francisco meeting. So they will get some update about the work done in the

working group. So, but the...

Andrew Mack:

Okay, got it. I understand now. Thank you.

Rafik Dammak:

Thanks. Okay. Any comments? So we have - we still have nine minutes, but

you've - at least no any question, any topic to discuss, or any suggestions or -

I think we can adjourn this call. But I think as we have many working group

members present today, so to try to benefit this time to discuss about

different to be raise some issues, so please go ahead and share your

thoughts with working groups. Okay.

Okay, hearing none, I think that we can adjourn with the call for today. Thank you, everybody, for attending and please try to participate as much as you can on the mailing list and let's do some work before the next call on Tuesday. Thank you, everybody.

Avri Doria: Thank you. Bye-bye.

Man: (Unintelligible). Thank you. Bye.

Man: Bye.

Woman: Thanks, everyone.

END