## IRTP C TRANSCRIPTION Tuesday 13 December 2011 at 1500 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Consumer Metrics Project Discussion meeting on Tuesday 13 December 2011 at 1500 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-irtp-c-20111213-en.mp3
On page: http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#dec (transcripts and recordings are found on the calendar page)

## Attendees:

Avri Doria - co-chair James Bladel -co-chair Mike O'Connor - CBUC Kevin Erdman - IPC Barbara Steele - RySG Philip Corwin - CBUC Simonetta Batteiger - Registrar SG Chris Chaplow - CBUC Zahid Jamil - CBUC Jonathan Tenenbaum - RrSG Matt Serlin - RrSG Rob Golding - RrSG Bob Mountain - Registrar SG Rob Villeneuve - Registrar SG Volker Greimann - Registrar SG Jacob Williams **Angie Graves** 

## **ICANN Staff:**

Marika Konings Gisella Gruber-White

## **Apologies:**

Paul Diaz – Ry SG Michele Neylon – Rr SG Chair

Coordinator: Excuse me. I'd like to remind all participants this conference is being

recorded. If you have any objections, you may disconnect at this time.

You may begin.

Man: Thank you.

Gisella Gruber: James, would you like a quick roll call?

James Bladel: Yes, please.

Gisella Gruber: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone on today's IRT/PC

call on Tuesday the 13th of December. We have James Bladel, Mike

O'Connor, Kevin Erdman, Barbara Steele, Jacob Williams, Angie Graves,

Matthew Serlin, Philip Corwin, Chris Chaplow, Avri Doria, Jonathan

Tenenbaum, Bob Mountain.

From staff we have Marika Konings, and myself Gisella Gruber. And we have some - Simonetta Batteiger who will be joining late as well as Zahid Jamil. I

hope I haven't left anyone off the list.

And if I can also please remind you to state your names when speaking for

transcript purposes.

Thank you. Over to you James and Avri.

Marika Konings: And apologies Gisella?

Gisella Gruber: I didn't have any noted Marika.

Marika Konings: Michele sent his apologies. That was at least one I got.

Gisella Gruber: Lovely. Thank you. Noted.

James Bladel:

Well good morning everyone. This is the IRT/PC PDP teleconference for December 13th. And before we dive in, I noticed that Mikey O'Connor has his hand raised. Is this a quick matter of housekeeping Mikey?

Mikey O'Connor: Indeed it is. I want to introduce my friend Angie Graves, who's the newest member of the BC and also the newest member of the IRTP. Think of her as Barry Cobb II, the sequel. And so I just wanted to welcome Angie onto the call, and let you all know who she is.

James Bladel:

Well thanks Mikey. And in fact, we had left a placeholder on the agenda to reach out to Angie and welcome her to the group. Also to give her an opportunity to briefly introduce herself and what part of the - or slice of the community she hails from, and what interests she has in the fascinating world of inter-registrar transfers.

Angie, would you like to say a few words?

Angie Graves:

Absolutely. Thank you for the welcome, and I'm glad to introduce myself. I have been online since 1991, and since 1994 have done consulting in marketing, policy, and technical areas for clients. That include companies and individuals. And I really feel like I have a good awareness of user and consumer perspectives.

So I'm very glad to be here and I'm looking forward to participating.

James Bladel:

Excellent. Well we certainly welcome fresh perspectives on all of these issues, as some of us on these IRTP groups have become like old married couples. We certainly want other folks to keep bringing new perspectives I think into this process so that we don't get into some circular conversations. So welcome.

And are you also - like Barry, are you also from the West Coast, or...

Angie Graves: I hail from Atlanta, Georgia.

James Bladel: Oh, okay. East Coast. Not really a coast though. Eastern Time Zone.

Angie Graves: Yes indeed.

James Bladel: Okay, welcome.

Angie Graves: Thank you very much. I'm glad to be here.

James Bladel: Okay. And with that, there is one other matter of housekeeping before we

dive into Item Number 2, and that is the call or reminder to update the statements of interest, and make sure that Gisella has a statement of interest

on file in the new system.

And that - if you can see the list here, there are a few blanks in the list. Now Angie obviously gets a pass. She's new to the group and I know she's working on her SOI, but we have a couple of folks that have yet to submit one there, and wanted to issue a last call for statements of interest. We've had this on our agenda for - I believe since this group started several weeks ago.

So if you received a polite and then maybe a not so polite reminder from ICANN staff to get your SOI turned in as quickly as possible, please do so by the end of this week. Folks without SOIs you know on - updated SOIs active in the new system, we will have to consider not continuing - that they are not continuing with this working group as of Monday of next week. We got to draw a line - in the sand somewhere I think, or else this kind of drags on into the next year and throughout the life of the working group.

That doesn't preclude any changes or updates as we go along. This is for the initial SOI that's required when joining a working group.

So if you received one of those messages, please take action and get your SOI submitted in the ICANN system.

Okay. Moving on to that. What I would like to do, and I don't mean to put you on the spot Avri, but if we can pull up the draft that Avri submitted to the working group a few days ago, and perhaps Avri you wouldn't mind walking us through this?

Avri Doria: Sorry. I had to cough. Certainly, no problem doing that.

James Bladel: Okay. Thanks. I'll just turn it over to you then.

Avri Doria: Okay then. So I took upon myself the task to put down the first draft and it is just a first draft. I - you know, I'm more than willing to have it largely changed.

So the first paragraph is basically just meant to introduce what it is we're about and why we're bothering (unintelligible). Then I - and you know certainly, we can go through it also for wordsmithing, but I don't know if you wanted me to read it now, or you just wanted me to talk about the sort of intent behind it?

James Bladel: Sure. I think - yes, just don't read it.

Avri Doria: Okay. Well, I'll talk about it.

So then the next couple paragraphs I basically just quote - and a lot of this text I freely admit I stole from (unintelligible) notifications from our charter, from the review - you know the comment review, et cetera. So then I put - decided that I should tell them what our chartered activities are.

Then explained the purpose of templates, which is to assist GNSO constituencies with producing their comments. So we've created an input template. You know, we've decided to forward it to them on a voluntary basis

ICANN
Moderator: Glen de Saint Gery

12-13-11/09:00 am CT Confirmation # 2360705

Page 6

to be used. You know, and explaining what it was created specifically for. You

know, the GNSO stakeholder groups and constituencies we hoped you know,

that it would be useful to them in doing theirs.

There's the optional sentence for the ccNSO version about the need to come

up with a way to talk to them further in terms of interacting on the transfer

model issue.

Then basically, an invitation to participate in the last paragraph either as

representatives of their group, or in their individual capacity. And you know -

and would welcome a designated observer or participant in the group, you

know, and that they could use the template to do that.

So I tried to get all that - tried to get it in one page. I was a little long winded.

I'm not sure what could be cut out, but that was the basic general idea. So

what this is about? So what the group is about? And then, the specifics of the

request and an invitation.

Open to questions. Marika's got a question as does James. Marika, you had

your hand up first.

Marika Konings:

Yes, this is Marika. It's more of a comment than a question. And I think that

an update can be made to the last sentence of the first paragraph where it

now says, "As recommended by the new GNSO Policy Development Process

currently under review." I think that probably can be changed, "As adopted by

the ICANN Board," as it was adopted (unintelligible)...

((Crosstalk))

Avri Doria:

Oh, yes. Yes. Yes. You're right. That was in last night's Board. Thanks. Yes,

of course.

James? Are you muted?

James Bladel:

Hi. Yes, sorry. I thought I was there. So thank you again for kicking this off. The only comment I had was whether or not the sentence about the input template - you know, we want them to follow the template as much as possible, but we certainly allow for the possibility that maybe we haven't thought of something in the template. Is that something we want to say, or is that just kind of understood to be the case in these types of outreach efforts?

Avri Doria:

I'm sure - so basically, the content about them not having to use it I think is in

there.

James Bladel:

Okay.

Avri Doria:

What - the content that's not in there is that - of course if they other stuff to say other than what's in the template, they should feel free to say that too. You know, and I think it already says it is voluntary because we're requesting that they consider using it as the basis.

James Bladel:

Okay.

Avri Doria:

So perhaps another sentence that said you know of course - you know, if you don't use the template that's cool. And if you've got things to say that we didn't suggest in the template, please feel free. I mean obviously it would have to be (unintelligible), but yes. That then would definitely add (unintelligible).

James Bladel:

Okay. And you know, unless that's just too cumbersome or too obvious,

then...

Avri Doria:

Nothing's ever obvious. And what I said was certainly too cumbersome. I could see why you'd have that impression. But I'm sure it could be wordsmithed in a way that wasn't cumbersome.

James Bladel: I actually - I think the wordsmithing is fine. I think it's probably good to go as

is.

Avri Doria: Okay, yes. Chris?

Chris Chaplow: Yes, thanks Avri. I think it's great. The only little comment I'd perhaps indent

the three bullet points late into the charter so that it's clear when you've passed over that point, you want to - the letter per se. That was all I would

say.

Avri Doria: Yes, that's a good idea. I had only written it in email, and I haven't done any

beautifying on the thing, but that's a really good suggestion.

And thank you. I guess it was Marika who put it on - you know, turned it into

something that could be PDF, so I appreciate that.

Chris Chaplow: I saw a couple hands go by then go down. So there's three changes that I've

heard recommended so far, and correct me if I've got it wrong. I haven't been

noting things down. I've been looking at the text. The first was the change to

the current reality about the PDP rules.

The second was to add a sentence for that it was purely invited to use it. And

any comments they have that are outside the template are certainly welcome.

And then there's make the charter stuff indented and look like it's (close).

Did I get them correct? Any objection? Did I miss anything? Okay. Thank you.

James - so in which case - and then the idea was that it would be sent either

by James or myself, but with both of us as signatories and that we would be

sending it I believe to - we had talked about, but correct me if I misremember,

we definitely ccNSO with the extra paragraph. To the GAC. To the ALAC.

And we had talked about also SSAC, correct? Anybody else?

James Bladel: I think that's correct. I think that was correct.

Avri Doria: So those were the groups we were sending it to. Any others, or - I can't think

of any others. Just if anybody else can that are relevant to this particular

(unintelligible). And that was specifically why I also didn't say several advisory

committees and SOs. We were only sending it to one of them.

Okay. So I guess I'll take it. I'll make the changes. I'll send a changed version

out to the list just to make sure I got it right, and then I don't know. What do

we want to give as a - do we want to do a sort of last call? Give a 48 hour

period where people can raise objections before we send it off? Would that

be reasonable?

James Bladel: I think that's perfectly reasonable. I was thinking 48 hours exactly, so...

Avri Doria: Okay. So I will - I have a totally crammed day. I'll try to get it done today, but

if I don't today, certainly tomorrow. And I have no conference calls tomorrow.

So - unless there's one I forgot about.

So - and then I'll do that and then James and I can talk about which one

actually does the sending. I don't think that's terribly material.

James Bladel: Yes. Or we could just have staff send it on our behalf. I think that works too.

Avri Doria: That works just as well. I mean, I didn't actually ask staff to make the

changes, but if they volunteer to do so, that would be okay with me too. You

know, but certainly we could work that out between us. We don't need to do

that now.

Oh, Marika. Happy to make the changes. Thank you Marika. I gladly accept.

As I say, I'm totally bottled up today.

Okay. So then I guess that's it, in which case back to you James. Thank you.

James Bladel:

Okay, thanks Avri. And once again, thanks for taking the lead on that and getting that draft put together last week and finalized this week. I think it's great. And maybe we'll get some additional participants as well.

Marika?

Marika Konings:

Yes, this is Marika. Just one last thought on this. Do we want to give any kind of like deadline or saying you know, we would really appreciate if you can provide you know, any feedback by X date, or we just leave it open? I know we mentioned the deadline of the public comment forum. That's already you know, approaching very rapidly.

James Bladel:

Personally, I would think that if we can align this as much as possible with the public comment forum, that will simplify our task of incorporating analysis of the feedback. But maybe that would be more of a suggestion or nudge in that direction as opposed to a deadline.

I'm sorry. I see Avri has her hand up. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to jump in there.

Avri Doria:

It was an oversight on my part. I had thought to put something like that in there. I think it would probably be good if just we said the comment period for the stakeholder groups and constituencies is the following date. You know, and perhaps something we understand you know, that your schedule may differ. But the closer it is the better so that we can include it in the discussion.

Marika Konings:

And this is Marika. That was actually what I wanted to suggest as well, because the - you know the 22nd of January is right close, but the deadline we've actually given to stakeholder groups and constituencies is the 6th of January. So I'm happy to include a line along those lines and then your people can review and provide feedback accordingly.

**ICANN** Moderator: Glen de Saint Gery

12-13-11/09:00 am CT Confirmation # 2360705

Page 11

James Bladel:

Okay, thank you Marika. Okay, any other thoughts on this before we move on

to the next item on our agenda?

The queue is clear. Once again, thanks Avri. We'll look for a finalized version

on the list.

The next item is Number 3. There was a suggestion during the last call that

we as a working group would conduct a live transfer or a demonstration on a

live domain name of a transfer as a - to exercise some better understanding

of our - to better our understanding of the change of control function as it

exists currently today.

This was a suggestion I think initially proposed by Simonetta, and oh - I see

she has joined the call. Fantastic. I didn't want to go too far down this road

without Simonetta, so welcome Simonetta.

Simonetta Batteiger: Hi. Sorry for being late.

James Bladel:

Oh, no problem. Glad to have you.

So I wanted to spend just a few minutes here, maybe not more than 10 or 15

minutes, discussing how we could in practicality pull this off in such a way

that it occurs under the lens of a microscope in such a way that the group can

see all of the intricacies of the change of control/transfer of function and what

would be needed to pull this off.

We should note that this is typically not a free transaction, so it will probably

be happening on someone's live account where someone is incurring some

sort of - at least a negligible expense. So can we brainstorm - just take a few

minutes here to brainstorm about how we can do this?

Page 12

And then depending on where we leave it here at the end of the next 10 or 15

minutes, we may want to convene a small subteam/taskforce to actually start

going together and putting the pieces together to pull this off.

So with that, I will open the queue for brainstorming and different ideas, and

starting with Chris. Go ahead Chris.

Chris Chaplow:

Thank you. Yes, just almost by pure coincidence, my wife altered a name last

night, and she reached an agreement by email. And the seller proposed to

use I think escrow.com, who she'd never heard of and was a bit unsure

about, and actually persuaded the seller to put it into (unintelligible). And

that's just about to happen, so I can volunteer that one if we want to watch

that one through the system. And that was my suggestion.

James Bladel:

Thank you, Chris. I think both of those are viable options.

I think one of the things we may get into here is that when a - somewhat of a

policy void or a nice word that I learned from (Emily Taylor) was (lacuna). So

an absence of policy in this area here, and that therefore we're going to see a

lot of nonstandard but innovative market-based solutions offered like those of

escrow.com and (unintelligible).

Which is interesting and fascinating, but I wonder how much value they would

have individually as a learning experience unless we were to do two or three

of them so that we could have kind of a compare and contrast exercise.

Angie, you're up next.

Angie Graves:

Hi, yes. I bought a couple of domains last Thursday, and am currently in the

middle of an intra-registrar process at GoDaddy, and - sorry, an inter-registrar

process at GoDaddy, and an intra-registrar process right now from (Monicor)

to GoDaddy.

I'd be willing to offer those up - you know, the details if it would be of use to the group, and there's no escrow or other platform.

James Bladel: Okay. So those would - you have two then examples. One is internal through

GoDaddy, and another one is from one of the registries - from and outside registrar, from (Monicor) to GoDaddy. Is that I understand the examples

correctly?

Angie Graves: That's correct.

James Bladel: Or did I - okay. I thought maybe I'd reversed the second part. Okay...

Angie Graves: They're currently in process. Thanks.

James Bladel: Okay. Thanks. And this just kind of - I apologize Simonetta. I'll get to you in

just a moment here. I just was thinking that we have a lot of folks offering up examples. Maybe the best approach here is kind of a homework assignment with a show and tell component, where folks would go off and document their experiences and then bring them back and we can do kind of a compare and contrast where folks would present their personal experiences with their

individual scenarios. So that's one possible way we could approach this.

Angie, did you have more to add, or...

Angie Graves: Oh, let me take my hand down. Sorry about that.

James Bladel: No problem. Simonetta, go ahead.

Simonetta Batteiger: I was wondering if maybe - and I don't know how this works with Adobe

Connect. If we could do a transfer between two people on this working group and have the ability that these two people can basically share their screens?

Because a transfer process usually always starts with like two people coming

Page 14

to some kind of agreement they would like to do this, which we have in place

here anyway.

We would have to have someone who has domain names who's willing to like share the screen of what it looks like within their registrar's environment, and then basically create or request their auth code there so we can see how that works. And then swap over to the screen of the person who's purchasing or

gaining this new domain name and look at what they're doing with this.

And the obviously, we're going to go - or we would be able to see that the registrars involved are sending out messages to both sides, or only one side, depending on which way it goes. And we can take a look at what that messaging says and looks like, and how it feels, and how it applies to this type of a situation where there's really two parties involved. And I think that

would be one way to do it.

Or we could do this offline and just basically assign this to two people who are going to do this and they're going to document everything and put it in a

kind of a presentation and present it back out to the group next week.

James Bladel:

Thank you Simonetta. I went ahead and put myself in the queue. This is first I think ask staff if that is a possibility if the Adobe Connect supports the functionality that Simonetta has described where an individual can share their screens live. We would make them as a host and then they would share.

Go ahead Marika.

Marika Konings:

Yes, this is Marika. It is possible to share screens, but you need to be a little bit of an expert user. And I've noticed as well that on certain platforms it doesn't work very well. For example, on - when I share my screen on a Mac, it doesn't work very well unless I close everything else and even minimize the Adobe Connect screen.

I know Mikey does it right proficiently and it works very well when he does it, so you know it would require a bit of practice to make that work. I was wondering whether - you know, you would have the same effect by, for example, having screen shots of the different sequences and those we could easily put, for example, in the PDF document and run through those as an alternative.

But you know, if people want to try out to make it work in Adobe Connect, we could for example try to test it prior to the meeting and make sure that it works so we're not wasting people's time trying to do it during the meeting.

James Bladel: Okay

Okay, thank you Marika.

And that last bit was kind of - addresses the concern that I was getting at with Simonetta's idea. While I think that the proposal that Simonetta has raised is probably the most comprehensive approach to presenting and learning this information, I think that if it isn't rehearsed and very tightly scripted, that it won't come off very well in a live session.

A lot of these tests, as we've discussed here and in other groups, are asynchronous, so that you would have to leave one system - for example your registrar account, go to another system like email and take some action there, and then come back to the registrar account where depending upon the speed of the registrar's system, it may be milliseconds, minutes, or hours before the next action is ready to be taken.

And that's my concern with that live demo approach Simonetta. So maybe perhaps if there were a way that we could not live, but if we could record those steps and patch them together, eliminating the gaps or the time difference. Like for example on the cooking show when they put together a cake and then they walk over to the oven and there's one that's ready that they've worked on earlier that day. Something of that nature I think might be

more conducive to - as a learning exercise than trying to do it live. I just - I am concerned that it will not flow very smoothly.

So what are your thoughts on that Simonetta? I don't want to dismiss your proposal.

Simonetta Batteiger: No, it's totally fine. I mean the PDF idea or like recording it and presenting back out is totally fine as well. I think it would just be really valuable for everyone if we're making sure that all the steps are captured. And there's so much you can learn with - and that's where I was coming from with the screen sharing idea.

With these moments of confusion where people are like, "I don't even know what I need to do next," and that's exactly what people are experiencing today when they're trying to transfer a domain name from A to B. It's like it sounds very straightforward and simple and it really isn't, because there's lots of steps involved. And a bunch of these steps make absolutely no sense for someone who tries to transfer the domain name from one owner to another at the same time with moving the name from Registrar A to B.

So - but we can definitely capture this in a PDF as well. It's just - it is a little bit of work. And we would have to have - I'm happy to volunteer to be on the gaining side of this. But I don't have a domain portfolio myself, so I can't offer like an example of a name to trade. And I can't just go ahead and register one, because then it's in a 60 day lock and we wouldn't have this example ready for quite a while.

James Bladel: Right.

Simonetta Batteiger: So I guess what we need is a volunteer who has - who's willing to like offer a domain name for this exercise, and then I'm happy to take the screenshots on the other end.

James Bladel: Okay. So - oh, I'm sorry. I still had my hand up. Bob, go ahead.

Simonetta Batteiger: Okay.

James Bladel:

Excellent, thank you, Bob. So let's see if I can sum up where we're going here and propose a way forward. I think that we agree that while the maximum value lies in the - in doing this live, I think that we're understanding that there's some practical limitations with the time differences and possibly limitations of Adobe and being able to look over - to have the whole group looking over someone's shoulder.

So I would propose, as a way forward, that we assemble a few what we'd call - I don't know if we want to call it a subteam, but more of a, like, working pairs on this issue where, for example, Bob and Simonetta could go and put together an example of a change of control from Bob to Simonetta. And also we could leverage Angie's offer to demonstrate the inter- and intra- transfer processes that she was describing. And I think we could start to document those and plan a time to present those back to the group.

I'm just giggling a little bit at the chat between Bob and Simonetta. Yes, make sure that if you're actually transacting in domain names that you either pay the person or you give it back once the exercise is over. Was there anyone else that would like to join in this effort and put together some examples to bring back to the group and demonstrate this process?

Marika, are you volunteering, or perhaps you have something you'd like to add?

Marika Konings:

No, just - this is Marika. I'm not volunteering, but I do recall, I think that Michele on the last call mentioned also that he might have some names that he would be willing to, you know, transfer or change ownership as an example, so maybe it's worth checking back with him as well.

James Bladel: Thank you, excellent reminder. I had forgotten that and I will individually

reach out to Michele. Anyone else interested in running off and kind of

creating this material to share? Chris?

Chris Chaplow: Yes, I'm happy to do it with the domain I just mentioned earlier. I'll document

it through the process and bring it back to the team.

James Bladel: Okay, excellent. And - oh, I see Barbara as well. Barbara?

Barbara Steele: Hi, this is Barbara. I just wanted to say that I'm happy to be a resource to the

extent that somebody has questions about, you know, registry system and the timing of all of this. Because some of the things we want to make sure is that we're using some existing domain names that really haven't had any changes made to them in a while because, at least from our perspective, if

you're looking at com or net domain names that end in those extensions,

there is that 60-day restriction that's systematically imposed from the time

that a domain name has been initially registered.

James Bladel: Good catch, Barbara, thank you. I think that's an excellent idea. I would,

however, just kind of throw out the idea that perhaps Barbara's role should be minimized as much as possible because typically registrants involved in the change of control don't have a really helpful friend as a registry that can assist them with visibility on what's going on behind the scenes or give them

any advice.

So to keep the results as pure as possible, we probably should want, you

know, want to make sure that Barbara doesn't - isn't too helpful.

Barbara Steele: Are you thinking I may skew the results, James? No, I do understand that and

I respect that and I think that is a good point as well, if we're trying to get, you

know, truly a real scenario, then I think that's fine. Just do know that, you

know, I am available as a resource if you have questions that I may be able

to help with.

James Bladel:

Yeah, thank you. That's kind of like in the real world, you don't have this - what do they call it, a deus ex machina, you know, standing over your shoulder making sure you don't mess something up. Maybe we need to mess something up.

Okay, well, so - oh, do we have a - kind of a roster of folks that would want to participate in that? I know Simonetta, Bob, Chris, Michele, Barbara as much as possible - was there anyone else that wanted to volunteer for this? Angie, I'm sorry, Angie - I skipped on that one.

Angie Graves:

Thank you.

James Bladel:

Simonetta, go ahead.

Simonetta Batteiger: I'm wondering about - there's really two scenarios, there's within the same registrar and there is between two registrars. James, I don't want to, like, put work on your plate but do you think you could do a within Go Daddy example of screenshots?

James Bladel:

I would be perfectly willing to. I thought that was one of Angie's examples that she was offering.

Simonetta Batteiger: Okay.

James Bladel:

Am I - did I catch that correctly, Angie? That was one of the ones you were

putting on the table?

Angie Graves:

Correct.

James Bladel:

Okay, so I think if you need any help in that regard, anything I would put together would be now similarly putting myself in the category as Barbara, is that I could show you some of the internal training and operations materials

that we have, but if we want to keep it as, you know, pristine as possible, we have to assume that folks don't always have access to those things. Okay, so it sounds like we're putting together a subteam of sorts. Do we want to do this individually, or would those folks who are performing these transactions like to coordinate, perhaps?

And if so, if it's the latter, then can we draft someone as a volunteer to lead that effort? Avri, go ahead.

Avri Doria:

Yeah, I think coordinating would probably be a good idea, especially if they're going to be put together in sort of one exhibit, to just have a quick agreement and to give each other support with the technical parts of it. But I am not volunteering.

James Bladel:

Oh shoot, I thought we were going to get some additional volunteers on that. So, okay, any other volunteers on that sense - for that group or any other folks want to offer themselves up as kind of a de facto leader of that subteam? I'm kind of looking at Simonetta right here.

Simonetta Batteiger: I don't want the work right now...

((Crosstalk))

James Bladel:

I know, but it was such a good idea. Okay, fair enough, I didn't mean to put you on the spot.

Simonetta Batteiger: I mean, I'm happy to coordinate this with Bob, but I wouldn't want to, like, have, like, five other meetings to coordinate the efforts of the other examples.

I just don't have the time for this right now, I'm really sorry.

James Bladel:

Understood, a very lightweight process is always appreciated. And Bob, you have your hand up?

((Crosstalk))

Bob Mountain: Yeah, sorry, I was a tad distracted. What exactly - maybe just explain what

we're looking for in terms of the coordinator on this?

James Bladel: Well I think we're looking for someone to ensure that we have all of the

scenarios covered, that we are putting together the information into some sort of a - it doesn't have to be exactly the same format, but at least in some sort of consistent manner so that we can effectively contrast the different

methods. And then ensuring that they're all complete and submitted back for presentation by a certain date specific, and then going forward from there. So

I think it's those three tasks.

Bob Mountain: Yeah, okay, cool. I'll sign up, I just obviously need help from the participants,

but I'm happy to pop a few emails and coordinate that.

James Bladel: Thank you very much, Bob, I certainly appreciate you stepping forward on

that and I think Simonetta has also volunteered to help as much as she is

able, but she is pretty swamped.

Bob Mountain: Oh, yeah, she'll be involved, no question.

James Bladel: Okay, excellent. We look forward to that group, but of course Avri and I - oh, I

shouldn't speak for Avri, but I didn't want to exclude her but, you know, as the Co-Chairs of the overall working group, we would be at your disposal as well if you need assistance or extra staff resources or something like that. And I

shouldn't have spoken for Avri but I think she feels the same way.

Okay, well - oh, I see Jonathan - I was about ready to close this off, but go

ahead, Jonathan.

Jonathan Tenenbaum: Yeah, I just wanted to say that, you know, I'd be willing to volunteer and provide, you know, any of the back end help on the, you know,

on the domain examples and all that kind of stuff. I meant to chime in earlier, I'm trying to - I'm unfortunately home with a sick kid so I've been spending most of the call just on mute, but monitoring. And I'm sorry if you can hear him kind of yelling a little bit in the background.

But yeah, whatever you guys need, I mean, you know, whatever we can do, you know, on our end, you know, to be one of the registrars, you know, on either side of any of these domain transfers, you know, just let me know. And, you know, we can also, you know, as far as, you know, waiving whatever costs we can and that kind of thing, either on the nets or the register.com side.

James Bladel:

Excellent, okay, thank you. And we'll make sure that the folks working on these - compiling new scenarios know that they can reach out to Jonathan if necessary. Okay, so any other thoughts on this subject before we move on to item number four?

The queue is clear, so let's spend the balance of the time going back into Mikey's mine map, which I think is taking shape very nicely. And remember, this is the approach to our charter questions, trying to resist the temptation to dive into the meat and potatoes of the charter questions themselves and just laying out what an approach to those questions might look like, and what sort of information or subordinate questions we would like to address as part of that effort. So I don't mean to put Marika on the spot here, but I see she's making some edits.

So Mikey or Marika, can we perhaps just give the team kind of a snapshot of where we are with this document and what lies in front of us and what our next steps are? And then when do you feel like we can hold something up and say yes, we have a workable approach and we can go forward with this plan?

Mikey O'Connor: This is Mikey. Since I'm the one that's driving, let me do that. Marika, is that

okay?

Marika Konings: Yes, absolutely.

James Bladel: You guys did that so seamlessly, I had no idea whose screen we were

looking at.

Mikey O'Connor: I tell you, you've got to get up pretty early in the morning to get in front of

Marika and Mikey. So here's what we've got. Let me check, is this font big

enough that you can read, folks?

If it's not, just sing out and I can make it bigger, but there's a lot on the page and so it's nice to have a pretty small font. Mountain can read it, I'm getting chat - hang on a minute - Bladel can only barely read it. All right, that's - I always listen to my Chairs.

Okay, let's do that, is that better? Just sing out, James.

James Bladel: Yeah, that's good.

Mikey O'Connor: Okay, so we've got three charter questions. Here they are highlighted in blue.

And what we've been working on today is the change of control one, item A,

and I've shrunk it down so that you can kind of see the process as it stands in

the notes right now.

This by no means is to say that it's all done or that it's in the right order, this is just what we've got right now. And I can - I think what I'll do is I'll expand each one one at a time, otherwise the font's not going to work. So on this one, we've got early in the process understand why we're looking at it, compile background information to determine whether - this is a comment that came up on the first call I think, to determine whether this is even appropriate for ICANN to consider.

That may be out of order. Investigate how it's currently being done, and that's really where we were talking about this education exercise. And I took little notes of today's - I'm just going to expand the whole thing.

You can see how these mine maps can get pretty overwhelming. But I took notes on the conversation we had today just to capture this, so - to sort of show you how to navigate one of these maps. What I've started doing is posting this map to the Wiki in three forms every week after the call.

I post it as a PDF, which gives you a little viewer that you can walk up and down these legs yourself, so you can expand and contract things like I'm doing on the screen. And that, I think, is the easiest way to look at this, but it's also the biggest file by far, it's a meg and a half or something like that. Then I also post it as the actual file that I'm working on, and I'm delighted to report that Avri has joined the mine map - mine jet cabal, and so if I'm ever sick or not able to make a call, Avri is coming up to speed on this tool as well, and actually made a few changes on the last version.

So we've got a backup there. And if anybody else would like to get a hold of this tool and learn it, I'd be happy to coach folks. But anyway, so that's what we've been doing today, is working on - I'm going to shrink all this back down - how we do these things today.

We also included in Avri's note a piece of this work, which is are there any applicable models in the country code space, hopefully we'll get a bite on some of that. Then we've got a chunk of work to do, maybe to draw up an ideal process, and we've got the beginnings of some of that going on. Send the ideal process back to the registrars for a review, incorporate those changes into the ideal - maybe this is the place to put whether, you know, I think maybe move this down here, determine whether this is even a policy that's appropriate for us to consider - would be a lot smarter at this point.

Draft changes to the new policy - we've got a few goals in there, and then do some educational materials. So that's kind of where we're at on change of control. I think it might be a good spot to stop, how much time have we got?

Well, we haven't got - I'll tell you what, James. I think what I'm going to have to do is just run through these to give you a snapshot of where we're at. If - we don't really have time to do a whole lot of revision here. Let me catch up with the chat for a minute, I just realized I haven't been watching.

James Bladel:

Yeah, thanks, Mikey. I was just going to mention that if we could just get an overview and then if we could kind of send this out to the list. I think we are getting close to something that we can call complete.

I wanted to save the last three to five minutes for a discussion of scheduling. So you're free to go up...

((Crosstalk))

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, okay. Let me just rip through what we've got at that same level on the next two. We're a little sketchier on this one - let's see, let me just see how this expands.

James Bladel: Also, we have a queue, so let me know when you're in a good spot for that.

Mikey O'Connor: Oh, Simonetta, go ahead, I'm sorry. I haven't been watching. Yeah, James, if you could mind the queue and just interrupt me like that, that would be great.

James Bladel: Will do. Go ahead, Simonetta.

Simonetta Batteiger: I think it might help in terms of, like, making sure that our approach is complete if we look back at the actual charter questions and then compare to the items that we have in our approach to see if we've captured everything that was in the charter question. And one item that is in charter question A

Page 26

that I'm not sure if our approach completely includes - it kind of touches a little bit on the identify why we're even looking at this guestions, but there's

this aspect of security in there. So I'm not sure if that is completely captured

in our approach yet.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, we couldn't...

Simonetta Batteiger: Comparing actual question to the approach for each one of them might

help us to identify what other steps we may need in our approach to be able

to really come to a good result for this.

Mikey O'Connor: Okay, I'll add an action for that. Okay, let me zoom forward. James, you

know, we're getting close enough to the end and this is elaborate enough

now that we might want to just pause at this point and pick it up first thing on

the next call. It's your call, but...

James Bladel: Okay, well I appreciate that, Mikey, I mean - because I had just two more

housekeeping items, I guess, to discuss. So if you think that's the end of the

overview, then I would put out to the group that, you know, this is available - if

I'm not mistaken, this is available on the Wiki, and Marika has sent a list - or a

link to that. Is that correct, Marika?

Marika Konings: Yes, that's correct. There's also - under item four on the right-hand side of

Adobe Connect, that link.

James Bladel: Okay, and we can use that. That is a mine map but there's also a PDF

version, is that correct?

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, the PDF version is the one that you'll want to use unless you want to

buy this software.

James Bladel: Okay.

Mikey O'Connor: And that's the one that lets you walk through the map in pieces rather than the Web version is my tip of the hat to people who don't have either Adobe Acrobat's Reader or this software. But it's dreadfully hard to read, because it's the whole thing in an outline and it's very bushy.

James Bladel:

Okay, but ultimately we would need something in a format that can be shoehorned into our final report, right? So whether that's a PDF or...

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, no, this exports nicely to Word. You know, I think at some point what we want to do is trim off a bunch of this stuff. These are basically notes of meeting conversations.

> At some point we're going to want to trim this up into a document that's quite a bit less bushy. And I wouldn't call that process even started yet. You know, I view these as sort of the notes of conversations that we've had on these topics, but not a finished approach yet at all.

James Bladel:

Okay, Avri?

Avri Doria:

Yeah, one of the things about the outline form for when we're ready, is the way I've often used these tools is in fact to create the mine map to see it, to visualize it. But then I've taken that outline, bushy being a nice term for it as Mikey says, and used that as the core of the written work. I mean, it's generally when I have to write a synthesis of a meeting, that's the kind of tooling and the kind of use I make of it.

So that outline is the - in the HTML - is difficult to work with and discuss now, but it is actually quite a good tool for initiating the next step. Thanks.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, and this is Mikey, I agree. I generally go from this to the outlining in Word, because it exports right into the Word outlining framework that the staff use. So on the DSSA stuff, we've dropped a few of these right into Word documents that have turned out pretty good.

Avri Doria: Yeah, I didn't mean using the HTML format.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, the HTML is pretty rugged.

James Bladel: Okay, so do you think that maybe in the next call or maybe in two calls we

would be able to have something like that in that format finalized, or is that...

Mikey O'Connor: Well, I think that what we ought to do is take a pretty big chunk of the next

call and sort of - rather than just having Mikey's note-taking, you know, actually go through this and say, "Wait a minute, that's not in the right sequence, let's put that later," and "That's dumb, who came up with that idea? Oh, it was Bladel, well we don't have to listen to him." I think we've got

a - kind of a group edit to do yet before we've got something that we can

publish. And then the publishing is very fast, as Avri said.

It's really easy to go from this to a published document. But I don't think that the group has really had a chance to look at this and think about the implications that - the issue that Simonetta brought up is a perfect example, where we need someone kind of keeping an eye on the charter questions and saying, "Well, have we touched all the bases? No, we missed this one, where does it go, let's put it in the right place, blah, blah, blah." But I think we can probably wrap up the meat of it pretty fast on next week's call, and then

getting to a publishable form as quick as a wink.

James Bladel: Okay. All right, so what if we allocate the balance of next week's call to go

over this in detail? I think that jives with our work plan and I'll double check that offline, but let's plan on that. And we only have just a couple minutes and there was one other subject I wanted to cover, so if we could - so I'll off on here, Mikey, with the expectation that this is where we're going to pick up

next Tuesday?

Mikey O'Connor: Yep, that's fine with me.

James Bladel:

Okay, thanks. And if everyone could take a look at that at some point in the next seven days using that link, that will allow us to hit the ground running with - if we flag those areas of concern, similar to what Simonetta caught earlier today, I think that will make the most efficient use of that time next Tuesday.

The next question is about scheduling. Regardless of your location or, I guess, belief system, there is no getting around the fact that a large number of folks will be experiencing absences due to holidays over the next coming weeks. And I think that we discussed that we are okay, looking at the calendar, until January 3.

I think that that was one area where Marika and I were discussing the calendar and wanted to make sure that the expectation was synchronized on this group, whether we would or would not have a call on Tuesday, January 3. We could send out a Doodle poll on the list, but candidly, I think we have enough representative body of the working group on this particular call that we could make that decision today, of whether or not we want to have a meeting on Tuesday, January 3. So if you are available for - this is in the Adobe chat room - if you are available for a meeting on Tuesday, January 3, if you could - I'm not saying prefer that, if you are available - could you put the green checkmark up?

And if you are absolutely unavailable and just - there's no way you could do January 3 - if you could put a red X up by your name, and we'll get kind of a sense of whether or not that meeting is even possible. And I see so far one red X from (Phil), but otherwise I think it looks like the majority of folks are available, even if it isn't the sort of thing that folks are, you know, it's January 3 if you're in the U.S., you'd probably rather be watching college football. I know I would, but I think - okay, I think that's pretty clear, we'll go ahead then and schedule that meeting, Marika, noting that we may have a few more apologies than we typically do.

Page 30

Okay, well thanks for that brief bit of housekeeping. And I think we have some solid action items. I think we are on target with a very aggressive work plan. I see that the commitments to participate are coming back.

I thank you for your indulgence in that little experiment. And if there are no other items of business, we'll close the call for this week, and everyone have a great week. We'll see you next Tuesday.

Woman:

Thank you, James.

Man:

Thanks, James.

**END**