

**Fake Renewal Notice Meeting  
TRANSCRIPT  
Monday 22nd December 2011 at 1930 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

<http://audio.icann.org/gns0/gns0-frndt-20111222-en.mp3>

On page: <http://gns0.icann.org/calendar/#dec>

**Attendees:**

Mike O'Connor (CBUC)  
James Bladel (RrSG)  
Paul Diaz (RySG)  
Poncelet Ileleji

**ICANN Staff:**

Berry Cobb  
Marika Konings  
Gisella Gruber

**Apologies:**

Ken Stubbs (RySG)  
Michele Neylon (RrSG)

Coordinator: This conference is being recorded. If you have any objections you may disconnect at this time. You may begin.

Gisella Gruber-White: Thank you, (Kelly). Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. On today's Fake Renewal Notice drafting team teleconference on Thursday the 22nd of December. We have Poncelet Ileleji, Mike O'Connor, Paul Diaz, James Bladel. From staff we have Marika Konings, Berry Cobb and myself, Gisella Gruber.

No apologies noted today. And if I could please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you, over to you Mikey.

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks Gisella. You and Glen have a great time. We will carry on in your absence. Thanks a million for getting this going.

Gisella Gruber-White: Thank you.

Mikey O'Connor: And welcome everybody else to the FRN holiday party. I should have uncapped a beer before I started this one but I didn't. I think this is going to be a fairly short call. We have our standard agenda item however on statements of interest. And Marika, do we need to amplify the statement of interest situation a bit? I've forgotten; is this the one that we need to remind people to get those in?

Marika Konings: Yes. This is Marika. So as we have Poncelet on the call he's one of the people that still needs to complete a statement of interest. And I think we still have two other people that need to update their statement of interest according to the new model.

I think Glen and Gisella have sent out reminders and we'll do that again after this call. But if - and this way you can remind everyone to please complete or update your statements of interest. And if you have problems in doing so or have questions just send us an email and we'll help you through the process.

Mikey O'Connor: Great. Thanks, Marika. Okay I think today's agenda is actually sort of just work through the series of questions one last time. And to do that let me just close that up for a minute and share my screen wherever it is.

There we go. We'll do the mine mapping thing again. I didn't hear a whole lot of protests so I think we're pretty close on the list of questions. But I thought we would just go through it one last time. Let me kind of get zeroed in on that.

That big enough that people can read it all right on your screens? Shout out if it's not.

Berry Cobb: Good, Mikey.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, Vulcan mind meld; I'm back to the screen now. I think you're right, Berry. So what I did for the list is I just published this list of questions starting with these. And unless somebody has a problem with that I think that's what we'll go with.

There was one left over at the very end that I - we just ran out of time on these last two. And I thought I would just take a minute to kind of remind us of the conversation.

Some of this came out of Ken's idea to maybe reach out to other organizations as we did this. And the other was the question about what role ICANN should take in solving the problem. And I'm just - I'd just like to take a minute and talk about that amongst the group.

My recollection is that unlike the other questions there was a little hesitancy about getting into the process stuff. So I would be okay essentially leaving these last two questions off and really keeping it content-focused. But I'm just curious about other people's reactions to that.

James, Paul, any thoughts on either of those? Is there value in throwing that out to the community to let them put in an or, or should we just skip those? Go ahead, James.

James Bladel: Yeah, I think maybe skipping those wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I mean, we're certainly still open to taking folks who have a burning desire to get involved they can join the working group. We certainly, you know, want to

keep this somewhat shorter-lived than a typical PDP. And we don't want them taking it too far off track. So I think, you know, the approach (unintelligible).

Mikey O'Connor: Okay. Paul, go ahead.

Paul Diaz: Yeah, thanks Mikey. I agree with James. I think that the valuable data is going to come from registrars. If you carry it further afield you run the risk of, you know, sending us down rabbit holes chasing after other things that are not as germane.

You know, if somebody really wants to leave it in I guess if everybody else ignores it you get to the same end. But I guess I'm inclined to say why don't you drop it, keep it more tightly focused. Also focus the efforts on making sure that registrars respond to the survey.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah and that's one of the drawbacks of these mine maps is that they capture a lot and sometimes they capture too much. And so this - these just came up as part of the discussion. And we almost got to it on the last call but we ran out of time so I just sort of wanted to have this final discussion.

And I tend to agree. I think what we'll do is we'll just leave those off. And so the list that - or the set of questions that I sent to the list is this list. Let me see if I can get it highlighted. No - I do it that way. This list here. Oh come on. There.

And so I think then from there it's - oh, Marika, I'm sorry, I was away from the Adobe room. Go ahead. You should have just interrupted me.

Marika Konings: Yeah, no - no problem. So this is Marika. No I'm actually agreeing with James and Paul because I think if you look as well at the tasks that the drafting team was assigned really focuses on collecting information and data.

I think those are maybe some of the questions that, you know, in the report or letter or, you know, however the group wraps the information those might be some of the questions you include for the council to consider in their next set or, you know, if it should be decided that they move forward with a PDP or any kind of other efforts that you highlight these are some of the other elements that then would need to be considered as part of the work. But I agree I think at this stage, you know, the drafting team should really be focused on information and data unless, you know, solutions and who should do what. I guess that's more for a second (unintelligible).

Mikey O'Connor: That's a great idea to put them in next steps. Let me just - I'll put them down there and then we can dispense with them at that time. Okay so then I think we're down to mechanics. And James had a suggestion on the list which I thought was pretty good, and Marika did too, that we come up with some sort of poll version of this thing that's online that could be administered.

If you want - this is sort of back to you, James and Paul, Marika and I could just go ahead and collaborate on that and wrap it with an email and get it out pretty quickly I think. Is there any nuance to this that we need to think about before we just went ahead and pounded these questions into a gizmo and send an email out?

Should it go to you guys? James, do you want to take the lead with the registrars or...

((Crosstalk))

James Bladel: Sure I can...

Mikey O'Connor: Go ahead.

James Bladel: Mr. Diaz is not a registrar anymore so he's off limits. He can't...

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah he's off the work. We could recruit Michele though.

((Crosstalk))

James Bladel: He can't be held responsible for herding cats anymore. But, yeah, I think that. And then we do want a disclaimer. I think I mentioned this - or maybe I meant to and forgot in my message.

The registrars are a notoriously skittish bunch especially a request comes from a large registrar like Go Daddy or, you know, a Solutions or something like that in that, you know, they want to know well, you know, is this going to undermine my competitive position if I tell people what I really think about this?

And I think that, you know, if we can have folks - I'm not sure we want to allow them to respond anonymously to the survey but if we should - any assurances that we can give them that we're not seeking any information that they feel would, you know, be disclosing a competitive advantage or anything that they would consider to be a trade secret or anything like that.

We certainly don't want that; that's not the point of this. We're not fishing for information about their customer service operations or how they handle resellers or whatever. And I think that that just can't be emphasized enough because without those reassurances I don't know that we're going to get a whole lot of take on the response.

And then even with the reassurances I'm (unintelligible) concerned that a lot of them are just going to play it safe and not respond. So those are just my thoughts on that - the mechanics of how to get the survey out.

Mikey O'Connor: Marika and then Paul.

Marika Konings: So this is Marika. So, James, do you think it would help if for example it would come from the registrar liaison team if they would send it out of course, you know, with the message where we basically explain what we're using the data for.

And again I think it would, you know, we would need to have clear, and I'll just set up the survey, do we want people to, you know, send in their names or leave that as an optional one if they want to disclose, you know, who they're representing and they can do so but otherwise, you know, they don't have to? So are those...

James Bladel: Sure. That'd be fine. I think it would actually get more direction coming from the registrar ex-comm than, you know, than the liaisons. But you can try both that's fine.

Mikey O'Connor: Okay what if - I don't see - I'm just trying to figure out sort of who does what. So Mikey and Marika...

((Crosstalk))

Marika Konings: ...the ex-comm I think and it's probably best if James and Michele talk to the ex-comm and explain what it's for because I think they're in a better position to, you know, convince them it's a good thing and maybe, you know, even if after we've drafted a note I guess maybe even add another note when it goes out to the registrars. So I think that might make the most sense.

Yeah, I don't know if they listen to you either, I see your chat about (unintelligible).

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, why would they listen to Bladel? God.

James Bladel: Yeah, I can definitely give that a shot, you bet.

Mikey O'Connor: So the sequence might be then - the M&M team will build a poll and build a draft email and push it to James and Michele. And then can we leave it in your hands to push it onto the ex-comm or should we...

James Bladel: Yeah, we'll take it from there.

Mikey O'Connor: Okay. And okay well then I think we've got a little mini action plan. Is there anything that's missing from this list of stuff? Let me make it bigger, it's easier to see. Because I think, you know, Marika, I assume that you guys are off next week right?

Marika Konings: Yes that's correct.

Mikey O'Connor: So that means - do you think it's realistic to get this pounded into a polling thing by - before you leave or could I do it - I can do it in Survey Monkey but I don't have an account on the polling system that you guys have been using more recently than that. So I'd be...

Marika Konings: I can try to put something together. It's more, I mean, I think we're currently using Zoomerang or we have an account with that. Or otherwise in the first week of January, I mean, you know, if you want to take care of it I'm sure you want to take some time off as well between the holidays and I'm not sure whether we would get it out anyway before the beginning of January.

So as you prefer I can give it a try tomorrow but I guess we need to refine it anyway, you know, over the next week.

Mikey O'Connor: Well and the other thing is that, you know, what we could do is we could just leave it as a list in an email to James and Michele. And they could take it in email form to the executive committee.

James Bladel: That may not have the same degree of response. I'm just thinking about convenience here; we want to make this as downhill as possible...



Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, okay.

James Bladel: ...for respondents so...

Marika Konings: This is just a couple of - I mean, I can turn this around and get that to you tomorrow, Mikey, to review on Zoomerang if you like. And, you know, if there are any changes I'm, you know, happy to make them in the course of next week some time.

Mikey O'Connor: Well I think that, you know, let's give this one last scrub right here on the phone because I think we're pretty close. You know, I'm not anticipating any changes to the wording at all because we basically did the wording as a group. And...

((Crosstalk))

Marika Konings: ...if you want to, you know, give a deadline I guess that's something if we get it out - that our aim is to get it out in the first week of January. Presumably I guess many people are off even the ex-comm, you know, (unintelligible) if we can get it out to the ex-comm at the beginning of January what will be a realistic timeline or deadline for...

Mikey O'Connor: That seems reasonable to me. Let me just (unintelligible) us back into our status report see how that lines up with the dates. Yeah, if we were done - the end of the first week in January would be essentially January 8 so that would still leave a month for the responses to come back. That seems realistic, right? James, what do you think in terms of turning it around that fast?

James Bladel: Yeah, that's good.

Mikey O'Connor: Okay. All right...

((Crosstalk))

Mikey O'Connor: ...so we'll set it - all right we'll set it at - we'll set it at the end of the first week in January for us and then - only one thing I wish about Adobe and that's that when you share your screen you didn't have to do like five mouse clicks to get back.

Anyway we'll get to that by the end of January. Maybe you and Michele could give the executive committee a head's up that this is coming.

James Bladel: Yeah, I'll do that; no problem. I think that they may have already had their last meeting before the holidays but - what date will this be...

((Crosstalk))

James Bladel: ...hitting the streets then you think? It will be...

Mikey O'Connor: You just raised an interesting question. We should pay attention to their schedule. Do we know when they're meeting?

James Bladel: No, I mean, we'll only just be able to get it into the next meeting that's all; I don't mean to complicate this. This really doesn't have to - it doesn't have to wait anymore than, you know, than normal so we'll get it. I can get it to them as soon as possible and then I think they'll - we can even do this over the list. But I think that, you know, we just need to temper our expectations based on what we're looking for responses.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah and that's what I was, you know, if the ex-comm isn't going to meet until the middle or late January then life gets complicated.

James Bladel: But I don't know that they need to meet for this, Mikey.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah...

James Bladel: I think that - yeah, I think they can go forward with just, you know...

Mikey O'Connor: All right so we'll leave you guys...

James Bladel: So I guess, you know - yeah if you can give us what you have we'll - when it's finished we will, you know, be the messengers and take that to those folks. And then we'll get it - hopefully get some responses going on that.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah I think that'd be great. You know, Marika, let's try and bash this out tomorrow. That gives, you know, I know that not - nobody will be working much on it over the holidays but at least then it's in people's hands and they can be thinking about it and it gives people a little bit more time. I don't think there's a lot of controversy in these questions anymore. And...

Marika Konings: Okay.

Mikey O'Connor: And then if you get stuck, you know, if, you know, the end of the week just crushes you that's not a big - but let's try for that anyway. Okay anything else in our little list of stuff to do? Go ahead, Marika.

Marika Konings: Yeah, this is Marika. Just to give you a brief update on some of the other action items. Because I listened to the call of last week and understood there were two questions that you had for our compliance and legal team. So I put those forward but, you know, I think we're kind of almost closing. It will take a little time to get back on those. So hopefully in the New Year I'll have feedback on those.

And I did get - I'm just trying to pull up the email. I did get feedback from Claudio and he basically said that they - because we asked - because in one of the meetings we had I think someone suggested that (Intel) might have additional data. So I wrote to him asking if he could share that if possible.

So he said that he looked at a recent survey that the Internet committee (unintelligible) identify (unintelligible) is that correct? Using trademarks of others to perpetrate their (unintelligible) scheme. And he said fake renewal notices relate to a trademark was identified as a form of abuse that is occurring.

But on some of the specific team surveyed the cross (unintelligible) registration scam was actually the most common encountered with a 95% response rate.

Mikey O'Connor: Wow.

Marika Konings: And so I did ask him - I wrote back to him asking if, you know, if the survey is public and if it would be possible to share so we can have, you know, more insight into it. But he hasn't responded to that yet so just so you know that, you know, we're still trying to get more information but this is the first feedback I got.

Mikey O'Connor: Okay that's great. That's really interesting. Well in one form or another we'll get at least some hint of that into the report. That's fabulous. CTRS, oh Berry, help me. Is that the shorthand version of...

((Crosstalk))

Berry Cobb: Yeah...

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, okay.

((Crosstalk))

Berry Cobb: That's a pretty big number. I was surprised by that.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah that is. Well, yeah, it's a pretty overwhelming percentage too. I'm actually not surprised, you know, even friends of mine are getting those now. It's pretty impressive.

Okay I'm not going to - well it's the end of the hour. I'm going to wrap this up unless there's anything else to do. And Marika and I will go to work over the next 24 hours. And people are typing like mad. You can just - it is the holiday party so you could just talk if you want.

Paul Diaz: Okay hey Mikey, it's Paul.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, go ahead.

Paul Diaz: Yeah, a question. This group has now moved to Thursdays from here on correct?

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah that's my understanding. Is that okay with you?

Paul Diaz: Yeah it's much better. Mondays are horrible days.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah.

Paul Diaz: So our next scheduled meeting will be when?

Mikey O'Connor: In two weeks.

Paul Diaz: For sure. We're going to have a meeting even if we haven't pushed this out? We want to keep moving ourselves right?

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, I think just to kind of keep the pencil tapping on the table at the usual interval. We'll meet no matter what and then if there's nothing to report we'll have a short meeting. But...

Paul Diaz: Perfect.

Mikey O'Connor: ...I'm hoping that, you know, we'll have a survey out tomorrow and an email to James and Michele and hopefully hear some reports of steps forward. So we'll go ahead and meet around then.

Okay last call at the FRN holiday party. This is my last ICANN call before the New Year so you all have fabulous holiday seasons and we'll pick it up again in a couple of weeks.

Poncelet Illeleji: Okay same to you and Merry Christmas to everybody out there.

((Crosstalk))

Mikey O'Connor: Okay.

James Bladel: Thanks, Mikey.

Marika Konings: ...holidays everyone.

END