

**Transcript**  
**GNSO Drafting Group on Cross SO/AC Working Groups**  
**18 October 2011 at 17:00 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the **GNSO Drafting Group on Cross SO/AC Working Groups** teleconference on 18 October 2011 at 17:00 UTC. . Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

The audio is also available at:

<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-cwg-20111018-en.mp3>

On page:

<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#oct>

**Attendees**

Jonathan Robinson  
John Berard

**ICANN Staff**

Julie Hedlund  
Margie Milam  
Nathalie Peregrine

**Apology:**

**Absent:**

Rosemary Sinclair  
Jeff Neuman  
Tim Ruiz  
Jaime Wagner  
Wendy Seltzer  
Liz Gasster

Coordinator: Oh excuse me. I'd like to remind all participants this conference is being recorded. If you have any objections you may disconnect at this time. You may begin.

Nathalie Peregrine: So good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the CWG call on the 18th of October. On the call today we have John Berard and Jonathan Robinson. From staff we have Julie Hedlund and myself, Nathalie Peregrine. And we have received no apologies up until now.

I would like to remind you to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and go ahead.

Jonathan Robinson: Thank you very much, Nathalie. So this is Jonathan Robinson speaking. John, I sent out a brief agenda which was - which I think was intended to be up on the Adobe Connect. It hasn't gone out to the mailing list. I don't think it will although I did copy - I did do a reply though to Gisella so you might have seen it.

But the essence of what I want to really cover up is three things. I mean, it's really what - we've got an open session - we've got - as part of the GNSO open session we've got a status report on where we've got to with this drafting team so far.

We've got a workshop on the Thursday morning and - or - and it's really about looking at the content of what we might be able to report back and the structure of that Thursday morning session. And if we've got time to sort of take a little bit of a look at how the drafting team might function between now and the end of the year when we've - when the charter envisioned us producing a report.

Now the biggest single concern I have is of course breathing some new life and making sure that this group is energized and has the right people so

certainly on my agenda for the report back to the GNSO is to actually make a new call for sort of if you like reconstitute the group and make a new call for volunteers so that's my first (act).

Thereafter I guess the other thing to do is to make it clear what's covered in the charter, what we intend to do. One of the things there has been the decision to work really within the - to formulate a GNSO position with input from - or anyone else who want to participate. I don't know, have you got any other thoughts, John? How does that agenda sound to you? And what would you, I mean...

John Berard: I mean, I do think we need to make - to add to the vitality of this organization. I mean, it's not to say I don't enjoy talking to you, Jonathan, but it'd be great if we had some other folks particularly because this thing got started at a pretty high level of enthusiasm.

And I think that your instinct is absolutely right that we should be seeking to reconstitute the group or at least extend the group so that we can actually reflect the profile that is creating more of a demand for cross constituency working groups.

Jonathan Robinson: Yeah and so that - exactly. So that seems to - the other thing to do I think would be to highlight at both the GNSO session, the GNSO open session as well as at the - on the Thursday morning thing I think is to - thinking about that is to highlight the key points of the charter and what's actually going to be - what's actually been done and is more than likely to be the outcome of this.

Because I want to set some expectations and set some - get some clarity as to what's really being expected to come out of this because I think there's been some different expectations throughout. You know, I think...

John Berard: And don't you think that the work we did in creating the charter solves that?

Jonathan Robinson: Yes.

John Berard: I mean, we are tasked with coming up with the GNSO position on how cross constituency working groups ought to operate.

Jonathan Robinson: Yeah. So the important thing there is to emphasize that and make it quite clear that that's the scope of what's being done and ensure that nobody has got any different expectations I guess.

And so the - it's a 15-minute session. And as far as the GNSO - as far as the report back to the GNSO is concerned. So I can't see that there's - I think what I would like to cover there is really a highlight of the key elements of the charter and the scope of the charter; remind people what that is.

And then probably a reminder back to the original draft principals that were put out by Liz all those months ago and say that's really - that's as far as this has got. And encourage both comment then in the GNSO open session and also people to come to the Thursday morning session to provide a bit more substance to it.

And then I guess as far as the - is there anything else - I mean, is there anything else you'd like - I mean, covered, John? How else might one cover that report back to the council as to what's being done?

So for me it's - highlight the charter, indicate the sort of limited participation. And there was always the sort of implicit warning about this; it was both a high profile and interesting topic yet at the same time everyone was concerned that actually they were pressing new gTLD and related matters that were going to potentially take precedence between Singapore and now and we were potentially always going to struggle for bandwidth. But...

John Berard: Well but now that the new gTLD program is authorized and particularly because we are going to be seeing a blurring of the constituency lines, right?

You're going to have companies that are rightly members of the Business Constituency become registries; you're going to have registries become registrars and vice versa.

Jonathan Robinson: Yeah.

John Berard: And so at a time when the lines are being redrawn, let's put it that way, because in the Business Constituency we are in the midst of considering what membership means.

Jonathan Robinson: Yeah.

John Berard: And so as the lines are being redrawn it will put increasing - it'll create more demand for cross constituency working groups. And so my feeling is that now that the new gTLD program is in place that, you know, four out of every five things they're going to be talking about are going to cut across a number of constituencies and so therefore getting this right now is of paramount importance.

Jonathan Robinson: I think that's very well said. And so it really takes on both - if it wasn't already sufficiently an importance - a greater importance and a greater urgency...

John Berard: Yeah.

Jonathan Robinson: ...going forward. So with that in mind then having set that as really the scene and had some - a relatively small amount of discussion within the GNSO open session itself what - I wonder what - we've got - I think we've got an hour and a half on Thursday morning. Julie, you might correct me if I'm wrong there. But I think that the Thursday morning session is around about that length of time.

And it's a morning session. It's a little later in the week. The question is how to energize that and make that into something worthwhile. And, you know, effective and what the best way to handle that would be. I suppose there's going to be a requirement to scene set for perhaps some slides even might be necessary.

Julie, have you any idea what sort of facility we're going to have there and what sort of layout or setup there's going to be - or Nathalie for that matter?

Julie Hedlund: Yeah, this is Julie. So I don't know but I suspect it's probably the same as what we request for all meetings which is that we request - because I assume this is a public meeting. I should check though.

Jonathan Robinson: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: Yeah, it's a public meeting so in which case we typically have a projector so that we can show slides. There'll be a requirement to have an Adobe Connect room. But there will be one; all of the rooms - all the meetings in Dakar will have an Adobe Connect room for remote participation. So we definitely can do slides.

And, you know, what I will do, you know, as staff support - and this is related to the first item on your agenda too - and that is we'll need to have a few slides for the GNSO Council update in Dakar. And I'll put together a draft of those slides.

And since there's only 15 minutes and we want to reserve some time for discussion then I would plan to highlight the key points from the charter, the goals, and the actions there and particularly the scope and try to pull some items out of the draft principals that Liz sent around.

And then for the session on Thursday once you've decided what you want to have in that discussion then we can probably use some of the same slides

from the GNSO Council update with a little bit more background since this would be a public session and people aren't going to have really any context for it.

So, you know, have a few sort of who we are, you know, when did we get started, what, you know, why do we exist, you know, and then points from the charter. And then, you know, whatever else you want to have in there, next steps, you know, increasing participation, a calling for volunteers, that sort of thing.

Jonathan Robinson: Yeah, Julie, that sounds very sensible. So in a sense I've got exactly as you've said; slightly the other way around in the sense that there's a - there's clearly a macro set of slides that will work for the Thursday meeting and paring them down a little with some select - a reduced set or maybe reduced content for the GNSO open session.

That'll be perfect; that sounds like a very sensible way of working. And there's - clearly the participation is one issue which I'll highlight both from a Council participation point of view at the open Council meeting.

But then one of the key objectives of the Thursday meeting it's trying yet - either then or indeed to just make it clear that - to sort of broadcast a little that actually although this is a GNSO position the whole point of the exercise was also to take input from any other SO or AC or member of the ICANN community so that the GNSO wasn't deemed to be or indeed wasn't actually working in isolation from any kind of broader community input.

So I think we've tried to tread that line very carefully between recognizing that the GNSO would like to set up - would like to understand where - and form a view on where it stands but nevertheless there was always a concern that doing that completely in - without community input as it were was not going to - was just going to - then we'd have to go around that loop again anyway and may be perceived to be problematic.

So I'd quite like to - both to encourage that input on Thursday as proposed and find a way of doing that. Now the question is then with an hour and a half session having done that, I mean, we can cover all of that in half an hour; the question is what to do with the rest and whether that might be - there may be a way of stepping through and discussing elements of the - I mean, one way of dealing with this might be to just put up some sort of grid with the draft principals and work through those and take input and comment on those.

I don't know if you've got any thoughts, John, about how to make best use of that Thursday time. I mean, our charter says...

((Crosstalk))

John Berard: Should we invite certain constituencies to participate and ask for their input rather than hope that we get it?

Jonathan Robinson: That's a good point. I thought we - in fact I know we have done that via - I mean, we agreed with Stephane that he would reach out to the ccNSO. How else - I'd be guided by you and/or staff as to - if there's any other suggestions as to how we might invite - or sort of advertise the session.

And then not only do we need to advertise it and encourage participation secondly how we structure it and formulate that session so it's...

John Berard: Right.

Jonathan Robinson: ...constructive.

John Berard: Well, I mean, if you think about the, I mean, besides the GNSO and then there's the ccNSO which Stephane said he would reach out to that then leaves, what, the ALAC and the GAC. Is there any other entity that we would invite?



Julie Hedlund: Well there's the SSAC and the SSAC - this is Julie - has been involved in a couple of the current cross community working groups. They are participants in the internationalized registration data working group and also in the DNS security and stability analysis working group.

The rather unfortunate thing is that this meeting was set up - at the time this meeting was set up I wasn't really involved in this group. And the SSAC members are involved in two other meetings that run at the same time as this one which naturally does occur to a certain extent at ICANN meetings.

The DSSA working group is meeting with the SSR review team from eight o'clock to nine o'clock on Thursday morning and the SSAC is holding its public session from nine o'clock to ten o'clock. So I can certainly let the SSAC members know that this group is meeting but they will unfortunately not be able to attend.

Jonathan Robinson: But, Julie, that's - while I agree with you that's imperfect I think your ability to reach out and let them know that this is going on and to have, you know, be aware of the initiative and the opportunity to give feedback whether or not it takes place on Thursday morning would be helpful.

What about reaching out to ALAC and GAC? I mean, how do we do that and what's the best method for doing that?

Julie Hedlund: Well - this is Julie again. I can certainly, you know, send some information off to Heidi and she can, you know, the staff support for ALAC. And she, you know, she and her folks can get a message out to ALAC to give them the details of this, you know, and some background information.

And I also believe, if I remember correctly, that just in general the - this group was mentioned in the two policy webinars that were held last week which are cross community events that preview the meetings that are being held at...

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: ...the ICANN meetings. So just as a note I think, you know, that was sort of a general notice. But I can engage Heidi for the ALAC. The GAC is perhaps a little bit more problematic. Right now we don't really have a designated staff support person there but we do have Jamie Hedlund in our - VP of our government relations who interacts with them and I can certainly pass the information onto his as well.

Jonathan Robinson: I think, Julie, that would be really, really great; it would be much appreciated. And I think it should also form then part of our slide reporting to the GNSO to - on the - in the open session saying look this is what we've done in terms of outreach to date.

And so it's quite clear that although it's quite late in the day we do have the workshop and we have made a reasonable effort to highlight the existence of the workshop both via, as you say, the policy webinars and direct outreach as well. So at least there something that we can make clear about what's some of the outreach that's gone on.

And then in terms of the Thursday meeting I think we have to be realistic about what the likely participation is going to be. But hopefully having - we may have reenergized it from a GNSO point of view at the open meeting. We may have rounded up one or two others to come in via this little piece of outreach.

And then it comes back to a question of well what's the best way to engage and involve anyone who we have brought along. And like I say my first thought is to - of course we'll step through the charter and explain that but having got through, you know, background, history, charter and then in terms of - I'd quite like to put some new content into that as well as it being a sort of where we've got to today. I'd like to come away with some fresh input.

John Berard: But one of the ways we could do that, Jonathan, is if one of the slides could be a list of the cross community working groups that have already been formed or may even be finished with their work. And if we could get comment from whoever the chairs were of those cross community working groups as to the three, you know, three things that guided their work and maybe even the three biggest obstacles, you know, the three - the benefits and obstacles to the work and that might be helpful as well.

Jonathan Robinson: Yeah, sort of lessons learned...

((Crosstalk))

John Berard: So, you know, was it Edmon who was the chair of the JIG?

Jonathan Robinson: Yeah.

Julie Hedlund: The JIG is still ongoing and Edmon is still the chair.

John Berard: Right, but that's fine, yeah, yeah, yeah so...

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: Yeah and Jim Galvin and Edmon are the co chairs of the IRDWG.

John Berard: Right.

Julie Hedlund: And there are several co chairs of the DSSA working group. There's Mikey and Jim Galvin and Olivier and Mark Kosters. I can't remember all of them. But at any rate my only concern is that we may have difficulty rounding up responses from all of them in time to put a slide together.

You know, because we need to - we really need to get the slides posted, you know, prior to the workshop. And I want to try to get slides to you and the rest of this group members, you know, to look at.

I really, really - I'm going to have to have slides done tomorrow essentially because I'm traveling on Thursday.

John Berard: Oh is there a chance then to get somebody who was a chair or a co chair of one of these groups to take five minutes and offer testimony as to what worked, what didn't and what they learned in the process of leading a cross constituency working group?

Julie Hedlund: Unfortunately the DSSA chairs will all be in a meeting at the time of this meeting. They'll all be meeting with the SSRT - SSRRT group. As well - as well at least Jim from the IRD because he'll be - he is also in the DSSA working group.

Edmon - I can reach out to Edmon and see. He might be the best candidate. I do not know if he is in Dakar. I think he is. I could ask Edmon since he's been on two of these groups if he might be willing to and if he's available, you know, to drop in to this meeting.

John Berard: Would that invitation be better coming from Jonathan?

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: ...however you want to do it.

Jonathan Robinson: Either way, I mean, you could just copy me and then I could endorse it, Julie, that would be fine.

Julie Hedlund: I mean, that's fine; I know Edmon really well. It's just that he does...

Jonathan Robinson: Yeah.

Julie Hedlund: ...have a unique perspective of having been now in two of these groups. And, you know, I mean, he's quite familiar with their work. And both of these have been going on for, gosh, a couple years now. So it's really extensive experience.

Jonathan Robinson: Yeah. I mean, I think that's a really constructive idea from - that helps my thinking as well because what we could do there is, John, we could take the input - assuming Edmon can do it - it would be very helpful to have this input on the day and he could talk about that in particular maybe with reference to our charter which is primarily focused on effective chartering but also functioning and utilization.

And we could do this as a kind of a lessons learned. And then we could, after the workshop, reach out to the chairs of the other CWGs and just do that online with them and say, look, please populate this form if you'd like; give us a little bit of material with which to work.

And so that could be a very useful sub session of the Thursday morning. That seems to work. It could then run on into future telephone sessions.

John Berard: Right, right.

Julie Hedlund: Well I'm happy to invite - I'll send him an invite today and I'll copy - what I'll do is I'll say I'm inviting on your behalf, Jonathan, and I will copy actually the CCWG list so that everybody...

Jonathan Robinson: Perfect, yeah.

Julie Hedlund: ...knows we're making the invites.

Jonathan Robinson: That would be great. And then what about the next thing being to the - say step through the draft principals of the - you know, as I say on some kind of grid or something like that where we just step through the draft principals and say, you know, and provide them as discussion points where people can respond to each of them, you know, shoot it down, add to it, embellish it and so on.

Or is there another way in which might be more effective way of trying to engage whoever comes along? It just strikes me that we've got a limited amount of material so far. We really want to test that material out and try and get some feedback on it. And this isn't - it's perhaps a good way of doing it.

Julie Hedlund: I can certainly...

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: ...get the draft principals from Liz and - I don't have them handy but - and turn them into a grid, you know, on a couple of slides. I forget how lengthy they are. And I...

Jonathan Robinson: Julie, they're pretty basic, I mean, it's essentially two major points; one is one scope and the other is on practices. And scope has two points and practices eight. So it's a manageable little list.

And I'm kind of envisaging almost, you know, like exactly the sort of grid where one could then critique it then and there and say right, you know, the first - first is provide a discussion forum to achieve, I mean, the key scope one is provide a discussion forum and provide advice that not be used to develop consensus policy.

So one's got three points there that could say actually I think it should be more or less, greater or more, strongly, not. And just depending on who is

there they might provide some useful sparking points to get some discussion going.

Julie Hedlund: That sounds good to me. John, what do you think?

John Berard: It's fine. Can you just refresh my memory; who are the people on this list right now?

Jonathan Robinson: That's a really good question because I tried to dig it out and I've got a - I don't have a list.

Julie Hedlund: And I don't know either. And I'm sorry to say that I don't. All I know is I think there's only four. So it's you two and two other people and I'm not sure who they are. And I apologize for that...

((Crosstalk))

John Berard: (Randy) would be one of them.

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: ...but I sort of came a little bit late into this so I don't have it up my...

((Crosstalk))

John Berard: Well I know that (Randy) has been on these calls.

Jonathan Robinson: Jaime - I think Jaime...

Julie Hedlund: Jaime - yes I know Jaime...

Jonathan Robinson: And Jaime, yeah, okay.

Julie Hedlund: ...is one because he responded to the Doodle poll.

John Berard: Right.

Julie Hedlund: But I don't...

Jonathan Robinson: I think Rosemary might have been on it originally. I think Kristina might have been on it originally but Kristina wrote to me recently and said she was going to have to withdraw but - although she's never participated actively. John, we had someone else and I'm trying to think who was on - I think was it - was it Alan?

So again I think that - Julie if - by the time we come to the ICANN meeting - by the time we come to the meeting next week it'd be great to just be able to pull out that email list and say, you know, either weed people out or refresh their involvement. So it'd be quite good to say this is how the group started off; this is how it seems to have ended up and this is why we need more people on it.

Julie Hedlund: Right, right, yeah. Well I'll pull out the list of members because I think that we should - I - sorry, Margie is sending her apologies for - okay. Did you join, Margie? Sorry.

Margie Milam: Yes I did. I apologize. For some reason it wasn't on my calendar. Anyways I...

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: Oh that's okay. And I'm taking some notes, Margie, that I'll send around. And I'm going to put together some slides - you'll see this - but I'll put together sort of a master set of slides for next Thursday's session. And then from that we can extract what we need for the updates for the GNSO Council update.



But here's a question for you - and I don't have this handy - but do you have somewhere handy who the original participants were, who signed up to this group? And kind of - we're trying to get a sense of who are the members but who maybe haven't been involved in, you know, also just so we can find out whether or not they still want to be involved.

Margie Milam: Yeah, no I don't have the list. I believe Glen would have the list if she's on or we can certainly get it from her.

Julie Hedlund: We can get it. Or, Nathalie, if you could maybe follow up and see if you can get the list of members that would be really helpful.

Mp: All right, I'll do that.

Julie Hedlund: All right thanks.

Jonathan Robinson: Jaime said he had a problem dialing in so I'm just letting him know. All right well, you know, I think in many ways my third point that I wanted to cover today was really looking at how things might go from here, how we might develop the group from here.

But frankly I think that's a little bit ambitious for today's agenda because really the important thing to do is to get through next week's meeting in one piece and give a reasonable update to the GNSO and ideally to run a half decent workshop that sort of reenergizes the whole effort.

And then to see how we take it from there which I expect will be regular telephone conferences with hopefully a more energized group involved. And perhaps that's as much as we need to cover for now.

How does that sound? I mean, I suspect that you, Julie, you've kindly offered to help and I think it will make a big difference if you - I know you're busy and, you know, and all that but I think if you are able to sort of get the slides done

that cover all the areas we've talked about I think it'll make me feel like I'm in a confident position to update the GNSO and present something half decent on the Thursday morning which will be, you know, a great start at reinvigorating what we intend to do.

And then we'll try and keep things going on a regular basis after that so that we do meet the deadline of producing something, you know, by the end of the year which is what our intention is to do.

Julie Hedlund: Right and I'm, you know, and so this is Julie...

John Berard: Jonathan this is...

Julie Hedlund: ...absolutely this is, you know, this is one of the groups I'm supporting and I'll, you know, give it the support it needs. And I'm going to try to then come up with a draft set of slides tomorrow so that I can have them out to you guys to look at while I'm traveling on Thursday.

And I guess my next question is - because I don't think we - and probably you're coming to this and I'm just being impatient but the activity between now and the end of the year is we want to include a few points on what our goals are in the slides?

Jonathan Robinson: Well it would probably make sense. It's really - why I was fumbling a bit there - and maybe you've got a thought on this, John, is I was really - the deliverable is to produce a - to produce a final report to the GNSO by the end of the calendar year.

So therefore, I mean, I would expect that the activity is simply a series of calls to flesh out and firm up the draft principals that we've already - that we've started working with.

((Crosstalk))

John Berard: That's as I see it.

Jonathan Robinson: Yeah.

Julie Hedlund: You know, this is Julie. I'm just going to check the motion that was passed because - and Margie, you can correct me if I'm wrong too. But I thought that that end of the year goal was changed to a little bit later. But I could be wrong. I can check this really quickly. And then don't let me interrupt you talking but I'll just check the motions just to...

Jonathan Robinson: All right.

John Berard: Jonathan, Jonathan, John here. I will not be able to participate even remotely in the Thursday session.

Jonathan Robinson: That's unfortunate but we will - that will be as it is I suppose, John, and because you've been, you know...

Julie Hedlund: Yeah, and so this is Julie. We actually have - okay so maybe I was misunderstanding you. So the final resolve clause in the motion says, "As specified in the charter a status report is to be delivered at the ICANN Dakar meeting in October 2011 and a final report to be produced by the CCWG DT on or before the end of calendar year 2012."

Jonathan Robinson: Ah, I think that's - I don't know. I think that's a mistake for 2012.

Julie Hedlund: Margie - yeah, because that seems like a lot of time. Margie, do you remember...

((Crosstalk))

Margie Milam: Yeah, I think that's...

((Crosstalk))

Margie Milam: I think the intent was to have it by the - this calendar year.

Julie Hedlund: Okay so that is an error?

Margie Milam: Yeah, I believe so.

Julie Hedlund: Because I remember hearing the 2012 and thinking okay.

Jonathan Robinson: No, Julie, I mean, we're a drafting team. We - this may well, I mean, this may well create another effort. Ideally we're sufficiently effective at being inclusive as we get broad based support for the GNSO view of this. And that would be my idea.

It's probably a little naïve to think I could navigate such rocky waters as to - but it's quite clear that the GNSO would like to have thought about this, given it some work and have a view. At least that's my understanding and I'd like to I guess refresh - have a clear view on how the CWGs might function within - in times ahead.

And that's pretty urgent. So in many ways...

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: No and I'm sorry, this is Julie. I'm not questioning that at all I just - I just recalled the 2012 date in the motion and I see then, you know, thank you for the clarification that that's an error. And I just wanted to...

Jonathan Robinson: Well it's well spotted because I'm not sure anyone else...

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: I just wanted to point that out. Unless you, you know, really did want a lot more time. But I totally agree with you that this is urgent and that we need something quite soon rather than...

((Crosstalk))

Jonathan Robinson: Yeah, quite candidly it's gone a lot slower than I would have expected. That's - there are a number of reasons for that not the least of which has been my own personal schedule. But I'm rather keen to not just let it drag on indefinitely. And I don't think anyone else is. So it's - that's what we'll try and achieve.

Julie Hedlund: Terrific, thanks.

Jonathan Robinson: Great. I'm - go ahead, Julie.

Julie Hedlund: Yeah, go ahead, sorry.

Margie Milam: It's Margie. Yeah...

Jonathan Robinson: Margie.

Margie Milam: ...the intent as you may recall in the Council there's been a lot of hesitation to take on additional work that's of the cross community nature. So the idea was to get this, you know, dealt with quickly so that it wouldn't hold up, you know, consideration of starting new groups if we had some sort of understanding as to what should be done, you know, in terms of procedures for that. So it's certainly the sooner the better.

Jonathan Robinson: Margie, that's a very good and fair point. And, Julie, if possible it's probably worth having that as part of the background slide, a recognition that

it's really I guess - and then I'll work on - if it doesn't appear I'll try and weave it into the slide myself.

But really that's part of the background for all this that both the perceived importance, which John highlighted earlier, of the type of groups in future - in the new world order if you like - and second the fact that there was - that there was a reluctance to certainly more such groups up and running without a clear set of principals at least that the GNSO could have - rely on if not the broader community as a whole.

Julie Hedlund: Right, I've captured that and I will include that.

Jonathan Robinson: Brilliant.

Julie Hedlund: And so, Margie, I'm going to pull together some slides. I won't get a chance really to finalize them I don't think until tomorrow. But perhaps I could send them by you to take a quick look at them tomorrow and then maybe we could, you know, then get them out to the full work group tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

I'm flying Thursday and I think you might be as well so...

Margie Milam: Yeah, I think we may be on the same flight. So, you know, whenever you send it I'll turn it around so that we get something to the group tomorrow.

Julie Hedlund: Yeah, it's not going to be a huge number of slides but I'll get them out to you tomorrow.

Margie Milam: Okay.

Jonathan Robinson: Well I think that probably wraps it up. I'm not sure if there's anything I've missed that we need to cover but I think that probably covers it.

Margie Milam: Jonathan it's...

John Berard: I will miss being with you guys in Dakar. I get to spend a few days in San Diego instead.

Julie Hedlund: Yeah that's - I think we'd probably all rather be with you in San Diego, John. And I will have to apologize because since I support the SSAC and also the DSSA working group I am unfortunately going to be in both those meetings that Thursday morning. But Margie and Marika and Liz will all be able to be in this meeting of this group.

And of course we'll have the slides done and everything ahead of time and loaded up in the Adobe Connect and so on. So you'll be ably supported without me.

Jonathan Robinson: That sounds great, Julie. And please whatever you do don't misinterpret my next point. But with that in mind one of the things I found challenging is - and we can just chat about this over a beer or a cup of tea or something in Dakar - is how to effectively work with you guys.

And so that's something which I would - because you've suddenly come in and I've had little fits and bursts. I mean, Margie was very good with helping with the charter and now you're great in volunteering to help with the slides. But I'd like to sort of work in a slightly less erratic way with you.

And as I say I - it's partly because I've had to dip in and out of this as my other work pressures have ebbed and flowed. But certainly just sort of place hold that's something where I'd love to chat to you about it in probably an informal way but just to make sure that we do work as effectively as possibly together because...

Julie Hedlund: Absolutely. Let's make it a bear though.

Jonathan Robinson: Have you seen the temperature forecasts? Have you seen what the temperature is...

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: No I haven't but I bet it's going to be warm.

Jonathan Robinson: The temperature I saw was 35 degrees C each day. I mean, that sounds hot rather than warm.

Julie Hedlund: It will be, yes, hot.

Jonathan Robinson: Yeah.

Julie Hedlund: So no we'll take care of all that for you, Jonathan, don't worry. And we'll, you know, as staff we try to make sure that the support is seamless. One way or another you'll have the support that you need.

Jonathan Robinson: Brilliant. All right well that's much appreciated both you being on the call and the - so jumping in at the relatively late hour to help with the preparation for Dakar so really thank you very much. And I guess we'll see you guys - and apart from John - in another part of the world.

Julie Hedlund: Exactly. Well safe travels and have fun in San Diego, John.

John Berard: I will do my damndest.

Jonathan Robinson: Yeah. All right thanks again everyone.

John Berard: Bye all.

Julie Hedlund: Thanks everyone. Cheers, bye-bye.



Nathalie Peregrine: And thank you, (Kelly), you may now stop the recordings.

Coordinator: Okay thank you.

Nathalie Peregrine: Thank you. Bye-bye.

Coordinator: You're welcome. Good-bye.

END