ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 06-10-09/2:00 pm CT Confirmation #4290486 Page 1

GNSO

Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Communications Coordination Work Team (CCT) 10 June 2009 at 19:00 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Communications Coordination Work Team (CCT) teleconference 10 June 2009 at 19:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-cct-20090610.mp3

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#june

(transcripts and recordings are found on the calendar page)

Participants on the Call:

Steve Holsten - Vice-Chair, gTLD Registries Constituency (Chaired today's call) Chris Chaplow - Commercial and Business Users Constituency

ICANN Staff in attendance:

Rob Hoggarth
Scott Pinzon - Director of Policy Comm. and Information Services
Julie Hedlund - Policy Consultant
Ken Bour - Policy Consultant
Gisella Gruber-White - GNSO Secretariat
Glen de Saint Gery – GNSO Secretariat

Absence apologies:

Mason Cole - Registrar Constituency – Chair

Coordinator: I would like to remind all participants that today's conference is being

recorded. If you have any objections you may disconnect at this time.

Thank you. You may begin.

Gisella Gruber-White: Steve, would you like me to do a quick roll call?

Steve Holsten: That would be great. Thank you.

Confirmation #4290486

Gisella Gruber-White: Good evening all. We have on the call this evening Steve
Holsten, Chris Chaplow, Julie Hedlund, Rob Hoggarth, Ken Bower and

Scott Pinzon and myself, Gisella Gruber-White. Thank you.

Steve Holsten: Gisella, thank you. This is Steve Holsten. I'm the Vice Chair. I'm filling

in for Mason who's the Chair and is unable to attend today. We don't

have a specific agenda for this meeting today and so what I believe we

should do is essentially just give status updates as to where things

stand in each of the different subgroups.

Now there are three subgroups, one being the Web site improvement.

(Ken if he would be) so kind as to give a status on that and then - I'm

not certain that the other participants from the other groups are actually

in attendance. Is it Zbynek and - who is the other participant in

translation group?

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. It's Helen Laverty.

Steve Holsten: Yes, okay. Excuse me, Helen and Zbynek. Since they're not here and

since Mason's not here and Mason was going to give - he's the point

person on the other subtask group - that I guess we can really just

treat this as an update or a status update with respect to the Web site

improvement project.

Ken, do you mind going ahead and letting the group know where that

stands?

Julie Hedlund: And Ken, I'm sorry. This is Julie. I just want to let you know I did send

the PDF file of the latest version of the business requirements around

to the team. That email has evidently not made it yet. But I also posted

Confirmation #4290486

it on the Wiki so if people want to refer to the document it is linked on the Wiki ender, that first action item.

Ken Bour: I have already found it under the Wiki. Julie, you are extremely

efficient. I only gave her 15 minutes notice and she got it up there. That

was fast. But it's - yeah, if you guys can just...

Chris Chaplow: I found it as well. Yep.

Ken Bour: Yeah, if you can hop onto Wiki it's - yeah, she put it right up on the first

bullet. You can also - I guess you can probably open it from the

attachment list too, but how about you Steve? You got it?

Steve Holsten: I...

Ken Bour: I also sent it to - well actually, I sent it to you two guys earlier in the day

as it were (Doc) so you're pretty much familiar with it.

Steve Holsten: Yeah, you sent it to us at 11 o'clock today. I will confess I haven't had

the opportunity to look at it yet. I know Chris; you looked at it and said

it generally looked great.

Chris Chaplow: Yeah, I took it with me for a cup of coffee this morning and went

through it and it's fine, yes.

Ken Bour: So all I did then, as soon as I got Chris' comments back I went through

carefully to all of Mark's changes and edits. There was a considerable amount of changes that he made and comments and he was very, very thorough and I appreciate that. I will send him a note thanking him for...

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

06-10-09/2:00 pm CT Confirmation #4290486

Page 4

Chris Chaplow: Yeah, I second that.

Ken Bour:

Sure. I'll be sure to pass it along - your thoughts. And but largely what he did was, you know, it's a little re-phrasing here, wherever we referred to the Web site. He liked the use of the term "online Internet presence" and so there was some of that kind of thing.

You know, generally just tidying up and making the language a bit more precise. And so I just went through and essentially accepted pretty much everything that he suggested because it didn't change the meaning, the intention, or what we had wanted to convey.

It just became a little bit more accurate I would say, maybe a little tighter in certain areas. Better terminology was selected.

And so anyway, if you scroll through the document it's all clean now. I mean, there's no - and hopefully you won't see any other comments or redline edits at this point. And so I've titled it, "Version 1.1" and I also at the very bottom in Section 4.3, I gave Mark credit for moving us from Version 1.0 to 1.1.

And I would suggest that if Mason has not already sent a Version off to the OSC that this would be a better Version to send.

Chris Chaplow: Yes.

Steve Holsten: Great. That's great. Okay, we have the business requirements document in good shape then. What's the next step by your account? Either Julie or Ken?

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 06-10-09/2:00 pm CT Confirmation #4290486

Page 5

Ken Bour:

Yeah, I think the next step - there may not be anything for us on our subteam to do initially. Well, you know, let me - earlier - I hope I've explain this. Rob and I had a conference call with Kieren McCarthy and Mark Salvatera and it was very productive call.

And I think what we ended up completing as a result of that call was that this project, this Web site rebuilding for the GNSO, is going to be under the auspices of Corporate Affairs and Mark specifically - he and his team - he's got by the way a Drupal contractor that works for him that will be assigned to work with this project with us, with our team.

We sort of discussed - there was a little bit of confusion around what we meant by agile development and prototyping and all that. We cleared up those issues I think pretty well. The - in terms of timing Mark has no bandwidth between now and Sydney, but that's only a couple of weeks away anyway.

And I think the agreement we had, and I'll get - I'll also put this stuff in writing and just send it to make sure I didn't lose anything, but I think what we agreed is that I would come to Marina Del Rey as our representative, maybe just as soon after we get back from Sydney as people have a chance to breathe, you know, catch - get home and get situated.

And then I will spend at least one if maybe two days in Marina Del Rey and Mark and I will sort of hammer out a kind of tactical plan for getting this Web site into the prototyping phase where we can start working with screen designs and start all that.

There is some infrastructure work that has to be done on top of which this prototyping and screen development would occur. You know, he was careful to point out that some of the prototyping methodology and agile development - it will work for some aspects of the project but not for others.

Some things were just going to be - it's just going to be done a certain way, like the underlying taxonomy and the underlying database structure and all that. That - he'll just build that and it will be delivered to us, and for us, I don't think we even care right? That's under the cover stuff.

The stuff that we want to prototype on is all the stuff that's on top of the covers. And of course he said, "That's great. No problem with that at all. You guys can knock yourselves out."

Now when I - and by the way I - when I use the term taxonomy, it seems like we have a different understanding there too. Frequently when you - when we talk about it in our subteam we say that the taxonomy has to do with the various categories that are on the pages of the Web site.

And Mark thinks of taxonomy as more almost of a data dictionary, meaning that like at a fundamental level inside ICANN, they use a term and he gave an example, like final report. Final report is a dictionary term. It's part of the taxonomy of the underlying ICANN fabric.

And when we go around into documents on the GNSO site we're not going to call our things that are final reports something different than that. We're going to call them final reports.

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 06-10-09/2:00 pm CT

Confirmation #4290486 Page 7

And so whoever gets the job of tagging documents prior to the data

migration, you know, has to understand what that underlying taxonomy

is, the keywords. So...

Steve Holsten: You realize Ken that now that I've learned that word from you and

incorporated it into my vernacular, now I'm going to have to yank it out

of my daily, you know, vocabulary.

Ken Bour: Well, I don't think you need to do that. It's just that in this particular

environment Mark wanted to differentiate the taxonomy that is - that

underlies ICANN's Web development. And a taxonomy that we might

apply to the top-level page of a Web site. One is within our prototyping

scope, the other is not. That's all.

Steve Holsten: Got it. Okay.

Ken Bour: And so things like that, you know. I mean, we're obviously not going to

have any interest in how the database is constructed and all that kind

of stuff, right? So there's a whole series of structural things that will

happen under the covers that Mark will just take care of. And that's

part of what he and I will do when we go to - when I come to Marina

Del Rey.

And what we really want to do is map out some sort of a schedule and

some targets and here's how we'll do this and we'll do this first, maybe

we'll take this second. And generally get it mapped out in such a way

that he's comfortable with it, his contractor's comfortable with it. And

then I can come back and get you guys back involved and then we can

actually begin doing some real work with the real Web site.

Steve Holsten: Okay, great.

Ken Bour: And that's - so that's the general set of next steps as I understand it.

Rob, is that fair, does that...?

Rob: That is precisely correct, Ken. Thanks.

Ken Bour: So what I thought I would do is tap out a little email to Mark and just -

and to Kieren and Rob and just say, "This is my understanding and if

anybody's got any changes they could make them."

But, yeah, I would look for us to be back in business as a subteam

some time sort of toward the middle of July.

Steve Holsten: Okay. Okay.

Chris Chaplow: Can I just - obviously I'm hoping to bump into Mark in the corridor

somewhere in Sydney and get acquainted and also to, you know, start

some ideas and discussions, you know, sitting round the table or

whatever at some point anyway.

Ken Bour: Yeah, that sounded great except Rob indicated he wasn't sure if Mark

was going to make it to Sydney and I don't know, I haven't confirmed.

Rob: I haven't either.

Ken Bour: I know he was certainly in Cairo and he was in Mexico City, and that

he typically ends up in the staff room. They have this, you know, staff

room and I don't know, is he allowed out of there, Rob? I think they got

him chained.

Chris Chaplow: Well if he's out I'll hunt him out.

Ken Bour:

Yeah, I know. I'm just kidding. Yeah, in fact, I'll send him a note and ask him if he's going to be there. I see he's offline in Jabber or I'd ask him now.

So that's basically the scheme of it. My understanding is that we won't have to do any more functional specifications or any other technical descriptions. The business requirements are going to be satisfactory and now that Mark has weighed in on it, right, it's written so that he likes the way it sounds as well, and he thought it was fine.

Chris Chaplow: Ken, have you bypassed the charter complications for the sort of prototype?

Ken Bour:

I believe we have. I believe we have bypassed that mess. So the folks like (Joyce) and (Reesa) and others that were involved, I don't think they will continue in involvement with this particular project. It'll just be under the Corporate Affairs umbrella and Mark has the authority to do this Web site work.

Chris Chaplow: Yeah.

Steve Holsten: Okay. Chris, do you have any other business or any other questions?

Chris Chaplow: No, I don't really. I think that's the (unintelligible) been involved but,

you know, (unintelligible) so no, it's fine.

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 06-10-09/2:00 pm CT

Confirmation #4290486 Page 10

Steve Holsten: Great. Anybody else on the call have anything they'd like to add? I take that as a no. All right, well despite a fairly small bit of attendance I think we've made some good progress and again, Ken and Chris, I

appreciate all of the laboring that was done with the business

requirements.

So I think we can call this meeting adjourned and I will not be in Sydney but I hope you guys have a great time there. I will be staying up until the wee small hours becoming a nocturnal creature. But I'm sure that I'll hear you guys on the phone so have a great trip and travel

safely. Enjoy Sydney.

Chris Chaplow: Great, thank you. Bye-bye.

Julie Hedlund: Thank you.

Steve Holsten: Thanks everybody.

Ken Bour: Okay, bye-bye guys.

Steve Holsten: And welcome, (Scott).

(Scott): Thank you.

Chris Chaplow: Bye-bye.

END