ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 08-05-09/2:00 pm CT Confirmation #8225422

Page 1

GNSO

Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Communications Coordination Work Team (CCT) 05 August 2009 at 19:00 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Communications Coordination Work Team (CCT) teleconference 05 August 2009 at 19:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-cct-20090805.mp3

On page:

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#august

(transcripts and recordings are found on the calendar page)

Participants on the Call:

Mason Cole - Registrar Constituency – Chair Steve Holsten - Vice-Chair, gTLD Registries Constituency Chris Chaplow - Commercial and Business Users Constituency

ICANN Staff in attendance:

Ken Bour - Policy Consultant Julie Hedlund Scott Pinzon Glen de Saint Gery – GNSO Secretariat

Glen DeSaintgery: We have on the call Mason Cole, Chris Chaplow, Steve Holsten and for Staff we have Julie Hedlund, Scott Pinzon, Ken Bower and Glen DeSaintgery.

And may I remind you that when you speak please say your names because it is much better for the transcription, otherwise we get rather garbled transcription. It's just Man, Woman, Man Woman.

Mason Cole: Okay. All right, thanks Glen. All right, Mason speaking here. Are there any

updates or edits to Julie's notes from the last meeting in terms of the

recording of the meeting or the action items?

Julie Hedlund: No.

Mason Cole: All right. If not those will be considered approved as written. I was hoping

Zbynek or Helen would be on the call because I know we need an update

from them on Task 2 but perhaps we can just run through our task list quickly
- I'm sorry, Task 3, but perhaps we can just run through our task list quickly
and see where things are.

And then I'd like to talk about what form we should take in terms of putting the recommendation document together. So Ken and Steve, any further update to Tasks 1 and 2 since we met last?

Ken Bower: This is Ken. I think Scott does have some.

Mason Cole: Oh right. Scott, you had - you did a - you opened up your survey right?

Scott Pinzon: Yes, that's correct. We have sent invitations out. I have four of the interviews scheduled. They will begin Friday and go on into the next following two weeks and I actually expect more participants as we go along over the next two

weeks.

To remind the listeners this is interviews of people who we perceive as heavy users of the GNSO Web site so that they can weigh in on what they wish were done differently or better so that when we reorganize the site it will be effective. And also to the back end migration if that's of interest.

Mason Cole: Yes, please.

Scott Pinzon: As I hope you'll recall we're trying to move the content from its current static

version into a database so that content can be displayed in all kinds of different ways as needed. And ICANN's Web dev team has made some

terrific headway on that.

They basically took a copy of the GNSO Web site and have practiced migrating it in seamless fashion and found where there are problems and then fixed them and then basically iterated and they are just about ready to go on it.

Confirmation #8225422

They are doing some final quality assurance to make sure that when the switch happens that the e-mail lists continue posting seamlessly. So long story short they are now targeting Friday, August 14 as the date they will actually tell IT to change the DNS so that the test Web site becomes the live Web site and of course our goal is for that to seem seamless and totally transparent to the end users.

But it's worth noting that August 14 is the date for the switchover. They're doing it on a Friday so that - there's usually a natural rest in how many emails and postings are coming on the weekend so in case there's any difficulties they have a chance to do further quality assurance and just keep an eye on the site over the weekend when traffic is typically lower.

And it's our full expectation that on Monday morning when people come back to work they can just pick up right where they left off as if nothing happened. So we're in great shape on the back end.

Mason Cole:

All right, Mason here. That sounds pretty good Scott. Back to your - I had a question on your survey. So you've got interviews scheduled for the next couple of weeks. How fast do you expect to have your results, you know, tabulated or synthesized or whatever you're going to do and have that available to - maybe for use on - for Task 1?

Scott Pinzon:

Great question. I will be tabulating notes from each interview as they go along and that means that when we consider them done I'm trying to get a dozen interviews and at the point when we consider them done it would only take a day or two to concatenate all the different findings and put a little analysis on it.

So I don't have a calendar in front of me but this all should - I'm expecting it to happen in August. The only possible delay is I am encountering of many of the people we would like to reach are on vacation because it's August. So,

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

08-05-09/2:00 pm CT Confirmation #8225422

Page 4

some of the people who want to participate may not be able to do so until the last week of the month.

Mason Cole:

And then Ken and Steve, I assume this is of interest to you - the results of all this. I mean, do you anticipate wanting to work Scott's findings into your - into any additional recommendations you would want to make in terms of business requirements or anything else?

Ken Bower:

That's an interesting question. Yes, I guess we should hold open the possibility that, A, we will get some additional constructive feedback from Council members, constituency leaders or people who just - right, because we - Chuck sent that out, the requirements document.

Mason Cole:

Right.

Ken Bower:

We have gotten some emails that have come back to me and I'm kind of collecting all that. But there hasn't been anything really substantive. Some, you know, some plotted and recognitions of good work and that sort of thing, a couple of minor things here and there.

But, you know, on the basis of Scott's work that could be the second place where we might want to add some substance or change some things in the requirements. What do you think Scott and Steve?

Steve Holsten:

Well I would think the requirements are again just requirements. The interview that Scott - the interviews that Scott's going to do I think are more on the implementation of those requirements, so I agree with you Ken. Let's leave open the possibility that we will amend the requirements but I think it can simply be building upon the requirements rather than changing them.

Scott Pinzon:

This is Scott. I agree with what Steve said. I mean, if we genuinely find something that redirects us of course we'll pursue it but my expectation is that because the requirements are fairly high level these interviews will provide

additional detail that will address the how of implementing the requirements as opposed to creating new requirements.

Mason Cole: Okay, well that's good. Then we're not reinventing the wheel.

Scott Pinzon: Hope not.

Mason Cole: Yes. Okay that's very helpful Scott. Anything else from you on that issue

Scott?

Scott Pinzon: No I think that's the gist of it.

Mason Cole: Okay.

Chris Chaplow: Chris here. Could I just ask a question...

Mason Cole: Sure.

Chris Chaplow: ...that's just occurred? First of all - well obviously Scott, I think it's a great job

doing the survey because so often we make conclusions about our users and

we don't really survey them properly because it is actually jumping in with so

much work so just to underline that.

I was just wondering about the other group of user, the surveys with power

users. Have there been any thought to do something maybe even on

something lighter with the non-power users, with the sort of half interested

curious users?

Steve Holsten: Great question Chris.

Mason Cole: Scott.

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 08-05-09/2:00 pm CT Confirmation #8225422

Page 6

Scott Pinzon:

This is Scott. There has certainly been some thought given to that. The problem is that since I ICANN lacks a formal marketing department we don't really have a way to reach out to folks who are not already in the ICANN community.

So two aspects, one, we have included some ALAC people and, you know, what - the kind of user you described Chris, which ones we are aware of we are trying to include but I actually guessing it will be up to this team to try to advocate for the people who are not here yet, basically set the table for guests who have not arrived at the party yet.

Ken Bower:

Hey Scott, this is Ken. And I understand what you mean when you say people that are sort of not in the community. But you've mentioned earlier that you were going to take some output and recommendations from the survey that (Kieren) is doing on the ICANN total site right? Would that provide some useful guidance around the sort of non-power user community?

Scott Pinzon:

This is Scott. Yes Ken, thank you for reminding me about that. That was part of the plan here is - I'm sure you folks are familiar with the survey because it was - ICANN Web site in general for weeks and I'm actually meeting with (Kieren) on Friday to find out when we can expect some results from that. So hopefully we'll get guidance there too.

Ken Bower:

This is Ken again. And do you want to say anything at all about the taxonomy and where it stands?

Scott Pinzon:

This is Scott. I certainly can. To the best of our knowledge it's done. It has been reviewed in detail by (Marc), our lead Web developer here at ICANN. Ken and I have been over it in depth.

The - (Marc) assures me that if there are any omissions or anything that should be added that it would be trivial to fix. I think the taxonomy's good.

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 08-05-09/2:00 pm CT Confirmation #8225422

Page 7

Mason Cole:

Okay. Anyone else? All right. Scott, Ken, everybody, thank you. That was very helpful. This seems like the task that sort of just keeps expanding on itself. But it's obviously one of the bigger ones in front of us so thanks for all the good work.

All right. Julie or Ken, do either of you have any update on Task 3 as it relates to what Zbynek and Helen have been working on?

Julie Hedlund:

This is Julie. Mason I have not seen anything new from Zbynek or Helen so I think we're still awaiting any additional details that they might be able to add to the report that Zbynek gave and sent by email that is prior to the last meeting.

Mason Cole:

Yes. Yes, I'm not aware of anything either. I did ping Helen and Zbynek and asked them if there were a better meeting time but I think they agreed that this works fine for them so I think I just need to keep encouraging them to orient themselves more toward the task.

But what we're on the subject is there any other, you know, thoughts or issues on Task 3? Okay. All right, let's do a Task 4 in a moment but I'd like to talk about how to orient the - our final output.

I do have one question Ken or Julie. If you could tell us, is there an expectation of some kind that the finding or the recommendations of the team be presented in Seoul at the meeting there or in some other formalized way?

Julie Hedlund:

This is Julie. No I think the only requirement is that any recommendations that the team have - has should go to the OSC and then they will consider them and maybe make some suggestions.

And then once they're happy with them they will pass them on up to the GNSO Council. However I should say that I do know that Chuck Gomes has asked for the OSC to meet on Sunday afternoon at Seoul and will then

Confirmation #8225422

expect to provide reports on deliverables that any of the Work Teams have been able to produce at that point. But there would be an opportunity for us to feed into that meeting.

Mason Cole: All right. And do we know how the OSC is going to make the totality of its

recommendations known to the GNSO? How is that going to be presented?

Julie Hedlund: I don't know if there's a precise structure for that. Ken do you know?

Ken Bower: Ken. Yes, I don't know. I'm sorry. I don't think that's actually been discussed

yet or if it has it's - it hasn't reached me.

Julie Hedlund: I don't think it's been formalized. I - I'll - while we're sitting here I'll take a

quick look on the OSC Web site to see if it, you know, if it says but I doubt it.

Mason Cole: All right. I mean, I asked because if there's a particular expectation on the

part of the GNSO or the OSC about how they want to see our

recommendations, I don't want to go too far down a path of structuring a document of some kind if, you know, it's going to be in the wrong direction.

Julie Hedlund: Right I understand. I - this is Julie again. I don't think that there is a set

structure because recommendations vary greatly, various Work Teams,

because they're really pretty much structured around the work at hand and

ours would look very different from say for instance the GNSO Operations

Work Team is making recommendations for changes to the GNSO Council

operating procedures.

That's going to have a very precise form just because it's changes to the procedures. It would be very different from anything we would do. But I'll just

take a quick look through the site here too while we're talking.

Mason Cole: Okay. Mason here. So yes, if you could do that Julie that'd be helpful or if you

- would it be helpful to ask Chuck if there is any kind of particular expectation

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

08-05-09/2:00 pm CT Confirmation #8225422

Page 9

being developed at the OSC level about how we make our

recommendations?

Julie Hedlund: I think that's a very good idea. This is Julie. I don't see a problem with doing

that.

Mason Cole: Okay. All right. Well I do think we ought to do that. I don't want to over

formalize the process. As I think we all agreed at the beginning of this whole effort, you know, we wanted to consider everything in totality and not have it be governed by, you know, too much process as, you know, ICANN can

sometimes fall into so I don't really want to do that.

But if there is a particular way that the GNSO would like to see the results of

our work then, you know, we could at least orient the production of that work

toward that.

Chris Chaplow: Mason, Chris here.

Mason Cole: Yes.

Chris Chaplow: Did you not send out a document early on with the structure for us? I think

remember it looking okay.

Mason Cole: Yes, Mason here. It was just a basic outline I think of once we got our initial

ideas on the table about where there are areas of communication that can be

improved. I just set that up in outline form.

And, you know, what we're going to need I think at - as elements of the end

product are things like an executive summary and then some detailed

discussion about either research that we did or methodologies that we

followed or results that we found and then based on all that evidence what

recommendations we make.

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

08-05-09/2:00 pm CT Confirmation #8225422

Page 10

I don't really see a reason to make it any more complicated than that. I mean, we deal with enough complications in the community already that we got all that we can use. So, you know, I think as a default position we're - we should probably just use that structure unless there's a reason to go elsewhere with it.

Chris Chaplow: Yes o

Yes okay. That's fine by me.

Mason Cole:

Does that make sense to everyone?

Steve Holsten:

Sounds good by me.

Julie Hedlund:

Mason this is Julie. I did check the OSC Web site. There's nothing specific in there of the form that recommendation should take either to the OSC or from the OSC Council.

So I think that - our use for using the structure that you had originally suggested and then maybe just sending a quick note to (unintelligible) for them that they're not expecting it.

Mason Cole:

All right, that sounds like a good plan. All right. So with regard to the document I think the plan for producing it should be something on the order of, you know, we take whatever's been produced in the sub-teams and then I'll take a first shot at laying it into a document that follows the outline that we just discussed, something that can make sense to the end reader.

And then I think we should share it among ourselves and then - and have one point of editing where, you know, one person's in charge basically of the document and can collect suggestions or ideas about how to make the document better and then that way we're not all trying to write the same thing in parallel. Does that make sense to everyone?

Ken Bower:

Yes.

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

08-05-09/2:00 pm CT Confirmation #8225422

Page 11

Mason Cole:

Okay. So I know Tasks 1 and 2 are pretty well close to having that done.

Their recommendation's done. It sounds like we need some more or we have the opportunity to have more data available to us based on what happens

with Scott's and (Kieren)'s surveys.

Tasks - or Task 3 we need - we just need to find out where we are and then

Task 4 is mine and I'm about probably 50% done with what I want to do on

that one.

So Julie in terms of action items from here what I think I've got is Task 1, to

collect additional input and consider it as appropriate the data coming from

(Kieren) and Scott.

Task 3 I will follow up with Zbynek and Helen and find out what the status of

that is and whether or not they need additional resource help to finish that up.

And then one other action item is to query Chuck and ask if there's a certain

way to orient the recommendations. So have I missed anything there?

Julie Hedlund: No I think that's right. And did you want to guery Chuck or would like me to?

Mason Cole: If you would that would be great.

Julie Hedlund: I'm happy to do it.

Mason Cole: All right, very good. All right, any other business today?

Scott Pinzon: This is Scott. I just wanted to thank Chris and Steve and of course others too

for nominating people to be interviewed. The folks you pointed me too all agreed to participate and Chris also is generous enough to spend an hour advising me, so I just wanted to read that for the record and thank them for

their help.

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 08-05-09/2:00 pm CT

08-05-09/2:00 pm CT Confirmation #8225422

Page 12

Mason Cole: Thank you Scott and Chris thank you for spending time with Scott to do that.

Chris Chaplow: You're welcome. You're welcome.

Mason Cole: All right.

Chris Chaplow: I was actually surprised how few people on the business constituency is -

came back for the survey. That list can be quite active sometimes about

certain issues and I thought there'd be a good half dozen people coming back

but...

Mason Cole: Interesting.

Chris Chaplow: Yes, it's back to this whole subject I think on communications where

everyone's says, "Yes I agree," and doesn't really want to roll their sleeves up

I think.

Mason Cole: Yes I think there's - I agree with that one. Get off subject but my own opinion

is the community is taking on more than it can handle right now and so it's hard to get people to volunteer for things when their plates are already pretty

full. But that's just my point of view. Okay, anything else for today folks?

Julie Hedlund: No.

Mason Cole: All right, very good. Well we'll speak again in two weeks if not sooner. We are

adjourned.

Julie Hedlund: Great. Thank you very much Mason.

Mason Cole: Bye.

Steve Holsten: Bye-bye.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 08-05-09/2:00 pm CT Confirmation #8225422 Page 13

Chris Chaplow: Bye.

END