- Council Activities
- Group Activities
- Quick Info
Date:29 January 2009
|29 January 2009
Proposed agenda and documents
List of attendees:
16 Council Members
Avri Doria chaired the meeting.
Pierre Bonis, who has taken up a new position with the French Government, has resigned as the ccNSO observer to the Council.
Chuck Gomes, the only candidate for the position of GNSO Council vice chair, was nominated by Olga Cavalli, seconded by Stephane van Gelder and provided a candidate's statement on the Council mail server list.
Council approved the election of Chuck Gomes as the GNSO Council vice chair for the period running concurrently with that of the GNSO Council chair for the period 1 February 2009 until the newly structured GNSO Council is seated and a new chair is elected.
One abstention from Chuck Gomes
Item 4: Vote on Operations Steering Committee (OSC) Charter
Chuck Gomes seconded by Olga Cavalli, proposed the following motion to approve the Operation Steering Committee (OSC) charter
* The GNSO Council reviewed and accepted the new GNSO Improvements Implementation Plan
* That Plan called for the creation of an Operations Steering Committee (OSC) to oversee efforts to enhance the GNSO's structure, constituencies, and communications.
* The OSC was formed and held six teleconference meetings and conducted various online discussions as of 21 January 2009.
* The OSC reviewed and modified the draft OSC Charter prepared by the GNSO Improvements Planning Team and recommended that the Council approve the revised draft Charter dated 22 Dec 08.
* The Council discussed the charter in its 8 January 2009 meeting and two Councilors suggested edits.
* All OSC members approved the charter with the proposed edits as found at
* The GNSO Council approves the OSC Charter and directs the OSC to proceed in fulfilling the terms of that Charter.
The motion passed unanimously by voice vote
Item 5:Vote on Policy Process Steering Committee (PPSC) Charter
The GNSO Council reviewed and accepted the new GNSO Improvements Implementation Plan developed by the Planning Team at its 16 October meeting.
That Plan called for the creation of a Policy Process Steering Committee (PPSC) to oversee efforts to revise and enhance the GNSO's Policy Development Process.
The PPSC was formed and held three teleconference meetings and conducted various online discussions as of 7 January 2009.
The PPSC reviewed and modified the draft PPSC Charter prepared by the 'GNSO Improvements Planning Team and recommends that the Council approve the revised draft Charter dated 7 January 2009 and contained at the committee's wiki site at:
The GNSO Council approves the PPSC Charter and directs the PPSC to proceed in fulfilling the terms of that Charter.
The motion passed unanimously by voice vote.
Item 6: Individual non-commercial Registrants
An important distinction was made that the motion before the Council related to the GNSO restructuring and was separate from the GNSO improvements that the work teams in the Operations Steering Committee and the Policy Process Steering Committee are working on.
It was further clarified that the At-Large structure was created to include both non-commercial and commercial individual user groups that were interested in participating in ICANN. Although the majority if the individual user groups involved are non-commercial in nature, there are commercial oriented user groups as well.
The Board resolution has caused some confusion and it is difficult to separate some of the issues, but since the GNSO’s working group on restructuring was broadly representative and made the recommendation for the inclusion of individual users and, as the Business constituency representatives also pointed out commercial individual users were also involved, the Board felt that it did not want to limit or narrow the focus of requesting a recommendation on an overall strategic and structure of individual user involvement within ICANN and particularly in the GNSO.
Chuck Gomes seconded by Bill Drake with friendly amendments by Alan Greenberg proposed the following motion on Individual Users in the GNSO
* On 11 December 2008, the ICANN Board approved Resolution 2008-12-11-02 seeking a recommendation on how to incorporate the legitimate interests of individual Internet users in the GNSO in constructive yet non-duplicative ways and requesting that the recommendation should be submitted no later than 24 January 2009 for consideration by the Board.
* In an email message to the GNSO Council list dated 20 January 2009, the ICANN Vice President, Policy Development clarified that the11 December Resolution is an effort to help the Board identify a strategic solution that balances ALAC/At-Large and GNSO opportunities for all user and registrant stakeholders.
* The Working Group on GNSO Council Restructuring Report sent to the ICANN Board of Directors on 25 July 2008 recommended that the Non-Contracted Party/User House would be open to membership of all interested parties that use or provide services for the Internet, with the obvious exclusion of the contracted parties and should explicitly not be restricted to domain registrants as recommended by the BGC and that such recommendation was made in response to the suggestion of the ALAC Liaison to the Council.
* The GNSO Council Chair previously contacted the ALAC Chair and the GNSO ALAC Liaison to discuss this topic.
* The potential members of the two GNSO Council Non-Contracted Party Stakeholder Groups have been tasked with submitting proposed Stakeholder Group Charters to the ICANN Board prior to the Board meeting on 6 March 2009.
* The Council requests the GNSO Council ALAC Liaison in consultation with the ALAC Chair to:
Item 7: Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery Policy Development Process (PDP)
Marika Konings walked the Council through the Staff response to questions posed on the Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery Issues Report
Action Item: Create drafting team and appropriate mailing server list
Kristina Rosette reported that the group had produced a draft charter that would shortly be confirmed by the full group.
During the Mexico City meetings a working team meeting and an open workshop are being prepared as a precursor to a potential policy development process (PDP).
No details have been worked out, but the Policy Process and Operations Steering Committees will tentatively be meeting in the morning and there will tentatively be comments - reviews on the IRTP Part A, and the Fast Flux Initial reports on Saturday afternoon.
9.1 Tentative Agenda 28 February 2009
9.2 Tentative Agenda 01 March 2009
It was suggested that the topics for the Board/GNSO Council/Staff dinner should be of such a nature that Board members need little preparation and find them easy to discuss.
9.3 Tentative Agenda 02 March 2009
Councilors were requested to provide topics for discussion at the cross Advisory Committees and Supporting Organisations (ACSO) meeting.
Support was expressed for a joint ccNSO/GNSO Council meeting and IDN ccTLDs and the Fast Track process were mentioned as possible topics for discussion.
9.4 Tentative Agenda 04 March 2009 Public Meeting
9.5 Tentative Agenda 05 March 2009
10.1 Board Update
10.2 Policy Items
10.3 Drafting Teams
The WHOIS Study Drafting Team expects to circulate a motion requesting that staff undertake both cost and feasibility estimates for a subset of the studies. Representatives are encouraged to circulate the motion to their Constituencies
10.3.2 Travel Policy
10.4 Working Groups
10.5 GNSO "Improvements"