GNSO Council Teleconference Minutes

Last Updated: 31 August 2009
Date: 
28 May 2009
GNSO Council Meeting Minutes 28 May 2009

Proposed agenda and documents

List of attendees:
Philip Sheppard - Commercial & Business Users C
Mike Rodenbaugh - Commercial & Business Users C
Zahid Jamil - Commercial & Business Users C
Greg Ruth - ISCPC
Antonio Harris - ISCPC - absent
Tony Holmes - ISCPC
Stéphane van Gelder - Registrars
Tim Ruiz - Registrars
Adrian Kinderis - Registrars - absent, apologies
Chuck Gomes - gTLD registries
Edmon Chung - gTLD registries
Jordi Iparraguirre - gTLD registries - absent, apologies
Kristina Rosette - Intellectual Property Interests C - joined the call after the roll call
Ute Decker - Intellectual Property Interests C
Cyril Chua - Intellectual Property Interests C
Mary Wong - NCUC - joined the call after the roll call
William Drake - NCUC
Carlos Souza - NCUC - joined the call after the roll call
Olga Cavalli- Nominating Committee appointee
Terry Davis - Nominating Committee appointee
Avri Doria - Nominating Committee appointee

18 Council Members
( 22 Votes - quorum)

ICANN Staff

Denise Michel - Vice President, Policy Development- absent apologies
Kurt Pritz - Senior Vice President, Services
Robert Hoggarth - Senior Policy Director
Liz Gasster - Senior Policy Officer
Marika Konings - Policy Director
Margie Milam - Senior Policy Counselor
Craig Schwartz - Chief gTLD Registry Liaison
Julie Hedlund - Policy consultant
Glen de Saint G�ry - GNSO Secretariat

GNSO Council Liaisons/Observers
Alan Greenberg - ALAC Liaison - absent, apologies
Mr Han Chun Lee - ccNSO observer

Rita Rodin - ICANN Board member - absent - apologies
Bruce Tonkin - ICANN Board member - absent apologies

MP3 Recording

Roll Call.

Item 1: Update any Statements of Interest

The Secretariat informed the Council that Adrian Kinderis had updated his statement of interest.

Item 2:
Review/amend the agenda

- Switch items 4 and 5

- If IRT report is not available in time, this will become a status update item.

- Added Action Item list under AOB

Item 3: Approve GNSO Council minutes:

GNSO Council minutes 16 April 2009
GNSO Council minutes 7 May 2009

Chuck Gomes, seconded by Olga Cavalli, moved the adoption of the GNSO Council minutes of 16 April 2009.

The motion passed unanimously.

Chuck Gomes, seconded by Stéphane van Gelder, moved the adoption of the GNSO Council minutes of 7 May 2009.

The motion passed unanimously.

Decision 1. The Council approved the GNSO Council minutes of 16 April and 7 May 2009.

Item 5: Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP) Part B Issues Report

http://gnso.icann.org/issues/transfers/irtp-report-b-15may09.pdf

Marika Konings
presented the ITRP Part B Issue Report to the Council
http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/irtp-part-b-issues-report-28may09.pdf

Council will consider initiating a Policy Development Process (PDP) at its meeting on 24 June in Sydney. As required in the Bylaws, there will also be a motion on whether to form a committee of the whole, or a task force to undertake the work, ideally in combination with a working group charter.

  • Action Item:
    Avri Doria proposed working with Chuck Gomes and Marika Konings and inviting input from the IRTP A working group on developing a working group charter. The work can either be undertaken on the email list or via a teleconference.
  • Create a new mailing list for the working group

Item 4: IDN gTLD Fast Track
http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/idng-wg-charter-draft-27may09.pdf

Edmon Chung gave a brief overview of the proposed IDN group charter modeled on the IDNC charter.
With regard to the time- frame, the aim is to have the group functioning after the Sydney meeting with results by the Seoul meeting so that, whatever the final dates are for the launching of the new gTLDs, the process will be ready to proceed at the same time. Since there are several dependencies in the timing, there will be estimated periods of time for the work rather than fixed dates.

Council will consider the proposed charter at its meeting on 24 June 2009 in Sydney.

Item 6: Issue arising from GAC Position Paper on Geographic Names

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/karklins-to-twomey-24apr09.pdf

Referring to the GNSO Council letter to the GAC Avri Doria raised the question of the validity of the customary communication practise the Council used when a response was needed in a short time-frame. It depends on Council members' freedom to vote; some constituencies direct Council members how to vote and expect them to stay within that direction, while other Council members are the determiners for every vote. The former indicates that the constituency approval cycle should be taken into account and a longer time period allowed before the communication is sent in the name of the Council.

In the Council's discussion a distinction was made between the issue and the principle. The principle of drafting communications/letters in short time frames, was generally supported by the Council while recognizing that on certain issues it is impossible to get full support from everyone and that acting as the Council does not necessarily encompass the full representation of all the constituencies which is difficult to convey to the community.

Avri Doria, proposed that the appropriate Operations Steering Committee work team be tasked with documenting the process of submitting such communications/letters for future reference.

Avri Doria clarified that it was communicated to the GAC chair, that the lack of comment on the issue of names at the second level, should not be interpreted as agreement.

Council will consider the GAC response when it is posted on the website, work via the mailing list, and note the issue for discussion with the GAC at the joint GAC/GNSO meeting in Sydney.

Item 7 Implementation Recommendation Team (IRT)

Kristina Rosette gave a brief overview of the IRT meetings in San Francisco, 11 -13 May 2009. One full day was devoted to presentations by entities and organizations that had participated in the public comment process on the Draft Application Guidebook (DAG) and had raised comments relating to trademark protection issues.
The remaining time was spent discussing the presentations, and the public comments and identifying areas that merited further discussion, revision or adjustments to report.

The group did not meet the May 24 2009 deadline but the extra time allows for the public comments that raised issues to be fully considered and addressed.
Kristina, speaking individually, said that all comments due by June 6, 2009 would be addressed and incorporated in the final report.

Members of the IRT will be available to provide Community briefings on the report during the Sydney meetings. In addition two community consultations are scheduled for July 13 and 15 in New York and London respectively. The input will be synthesised to determine what goes into the Draft Applicant Guidebook. The Board will consider the completed process but it is unlikely that it will take a formal vote.

Item 8: Status Updates

8. 1. Board Update

Board Agenda 21 May 2009
Denise Michel noted that the Board resolutions had not yet been posted. The General Counsel's office was best placed to clarify why there was a delay between the resolutions being voted on during the meeting, and posting them on the website.

The Board has taken a new approach to board meetings. There is a consent agenda, a regular agenda and an informational agenda.

The intent of the consent agenda is to approve all the items that the Board has previously discussed and are ready for approval.

The regular agenda's items are for discussion and potential action.

The Informational items provide information to the Board, but are not necessarily discussed at the meeting.

Denise highlighted the items of interest to the GNSO:

- the Board approved the package of RAA amendments.
- the Board directs the Structural Improvements Committee and ICANN Staff to make the necessary changes to the Stakeholder Group charters to make them consistent with the Board’s GNSO Improvements Report and related Resolutions, and to post the revised charters, and an explanatory memorandum, for GNSO consultation and public comment later this month;

Denise clarified that the Structural Improvements Committee was particularly focused on insuring, that in the future, new constituencies had an appropriate role in the stakeholder group.

8. 2. ccNSO Liaison update

Olga Cavalli and Edmon Chung are the GNSO representatives to the IDN ccPDP working group formed by the ccNSO. The GNSO chair and vice chair have observer status on the group.

8. 3. Geographical Region WG update

The Board discussed the charter for the Geographic Regions working group, did not approve it and Staff was asked to modify the document.

8. 4. Joint Advisory Committees/ Supporting Organisations (AC/SO) Efforts

There will be a joint AC/SO meeting in Sydney.

8. 4 . 1. Joint GNSO/ccNSO group to discuss coordination of timing for IDN TLDs (Avri Doria /Chris Disspain) update

Discussion continues on a joint GNSO/ccNSO working group.

8. 4. 2. RAA with ALAC

Avri Doria referred to the email sent to the RAA mailing list http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-raa-dt/msg00001.html and said that she had had several discussions with the ALAC chair.
ALAC is well represented among the participants on the mailing list and the next action is to arrange for a meeting. Constituencies are urged to join the group, particularly the Registrar and the Non Commercial Users constituencies.

8. 5. 1. 1. Fast Flux

Marika Konings reported that the Fast Flux PDP working Group is currently reviewing the public comments. No face to face meeting is scheduled in Sydney, but at the Thursday GNSO Council wrap-up meeting, the Fast Flux working group chair and the liaison to the Council will give an update.

8. 5. 1. 2. Registration Abuse Policies Working Group (RAPWG)

Council will be provided with a status report at the Thursday GNSO Council wrap-up meeting.

8. 6. 1. Travel Policy Drafting Team - Travel Database for Sydney

Avri Doria noted that it was important to have the list of names of who is traveling to Seoul by 1 September 2009. While there is no formal decision yet on the dates, the possible by-law amendments to have the new GNSO Council seated at the Seoul meeting indicate that 8 September might be too late for the list to be submitted for ICANN Travel support and alerted Council to the earlier date.
Stephane van Gelder commented that clarification was needed on the overall travel policy going into the next fiscal year and noted the Travel Drafting Team's purpose was to propose certain policies before ICANN finalises the policy.

Tim Ruiz provided a summary of the two teleconferences scheduled to provide a brief update and solicit input on the draft travel support guidelines and highlight the financial assumptions in the draft FY10 Operating Plan and Budget.

Olga Cavalli commented that the Travel Drafting Team will provide comments to the draft Travel Support Guidelines when they are published.

8. 7. 1. Policy Process Steering Committee (PPSC) Policy Development Process (PDP) work team (WT)

Liz Gasster reported that the PDP work team, chaired by Jeff Neuman is focused on improving and enhancing the current PDP.
The group is currently discussing the pre-PDP initial planning and initiation stage.

8. 7. 2. PPSC Working Group work team WGWT

Liz Gasster provided a brief update on the Working Group work team, chaired by J. Scott Evans which is divided into two subgroups. One group is examining Working Group charters as a guide to future Working Groups, and the other is developing operating guidelines for them that will help working group chairs and participants in structuring and delivering outcomes of the working group itself.

Both groups, challenged by lack of participation and the participants stretched bandwidth, will reconsider timeframes for deliverables on their upcoming calls.

The work is not critical to seating the newly structured Council as long as transitional provisions are in the By-laws.

8. 7. 3. Operations Steering Committee (OSC) Communications coordination work team

Chuck Gomes reported that the Community Communications Coordination team is focused on developing business requirements for a new GNSO website and drafting recommendations for translation needs on the web site.

8. 7. 4. OSC Constituency operations work team

The constituency and stakeholder Operations team, chaired by Olga Cavalli, has four sub-task teams and each is developing a project plan and timeline.

Constituency and Stakeholder group charters are being reviewed and elements for toolkit services are being explored. A request for information regarding the services toolkit will be forthcoming shortly from the chair to the Council for additional input.

8. 7. 5. OSC GNSO Council operations work team
The GNSO Council operations team is considering principles to establish the role of the Council as strategic manager of the policy process and they are developing a new statement of interest of policy.

The team is aware that the revision of the Operating Rules of Procedure for the Council is a time-sensitive and gating issue for seating the new Council.

8. 8. Restructuring group

Avri Doria, referring to the pending actions list with the inventory of key process and implementation decisions to effectuate transition to restructure the GNSO, mentioned that by the end of the first week of June there should be a set of recommended changes for the constituencies to review. Constituency cooperation is critical to meet the end of June deadline.

8. 8. 1. Status of By-Law discussions

There should be a set of By-laws changes in place sufficient to start the new Council structure and then further recommendations can be made by that body.

8. 9. Preparation for Sydney

Saturday 20 June - By-law discussion and new gTLD issues

Sunday 21 June - working team/group meetings

Monday 22 June - Advisory Committee AC/Supporting Organisations SO agenda will be posted on the ICANN website.

Wednesday 24 June Council open meeting
https://st.icann.org/gnso-council/index.cgi?agenda_24_june_2009

Avri Doria thanked Liz Gasster for updating the pending action list for the GNSO council and noted the inventory of key processes and implementation decisions to effectuate transition to the restructured GNSO was updated on 26 May 2009.

Avri Doria adjourned the GNSO Council meeting and thanked everyone for their participation.

The meeting ended at 15:50 UTC.

Next GNSO Council teleconference will be on Wednesday, 24 June 2009 in Sydney at 8:00 am, (22:00 UTC. Tuesday 23 June 2009)
see: Calendar