Minutes of the GNSO Council Meeting 29 January 2015

Last Updated: 13 February 2015
29 January 2015

Agenda and Documents

The Meeting started at 12:03 UTC:

List of attendees: NCA – Non Voting – Carlos Raúl Gutierrez
Contracted Parties House
Registrar Stakeholder Group: Volker Greimann, James Bladel, Yoav Keren
gTLD Registries Stakeholder Group: Jonathan Robinson, Donna Austin, Bret Fausett
Nominating Committee Appointee (NCA): Thomas Rickert
Non-Contracted Parties House
Commercial Stakeholder Group (CSG):Phil Corwin, Susan Kawaguchi – absent apologies, Osvaldo Novoa, Tony Holmes absent apologies, Brian Winterfeldt, Heather Forrest
Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG): Amr Elsadr, Marilia Maciel, Edward Morris, Stephanie Perrin, Avri Doria, David Cake
Nominating Committee Appointee (NCA): Daniel Reed

GNSO Council Liaisons/Observers:
Cheryl Langdon Or – ALAC Liaison
Patrick Myles - ccNSO Observer - absent, apologies
Mason Cole – GNSO liaison to the GAC

David Olive - VP Policy Development
Marika Konings - Senior Policy Director
Rob Hoggarth - Senior Policy Director
Mary Wong – Senior Policy Director
Steve Chan – Policy Director
Lars Hoffmann – Policy Analyst
Glen de Saint Géry - GNSO Secretariat
Cory Schruth – Systems Engineer

MP3 Recording
Adobe Chat Transcript

Item 1: Administrative

1.1 Roll Call
1.2 Statement of interest updates

Phil Corwin will provide a statement of interest update
1.3 Review/amend agenda
1.4. Minutes of the GNSO Council meeting 11 December 2014, January 15 2015 will be posted as approved on xxxxx 2015 per the GNSO Operating Procedures:

Item 2: Opening Remarks / Review of Projects & Action List

Jonathan Robinson noted that the key purposes of the meeting are;

  • To review the action items
  • To ensure that everyone is as informed on the work of the Cross Community Working Group on the IANA Stewardship Transition
  • To ensure that planning for the Singapore meeting is on schedule

Arising from the Action List:
Jonathan Robinson's action item still open – to talk with the GAC Chair Thomas Schneider and the GAC vice chairs

Item 3: Consent agenda

3.1 – Approve request for extension of timeline for Issue Report on Rights Protection Mechanisms

3.2 – Approve formation of informal community group to review IDN Implementation Guidelines and approve draft GNSO Council letter in response to these.

Council approved the Consent agenda by voice vote.
There were no votes against and no abstentions.

Item 4: UPDATE – Cross Community Working Group to develop a transition proposal for IANA stewardship on naming related functions

Jonathan Robinson stated that the Cross Community Working Group to develop a transition proposal for IANA stewardship on naming related functions was chartered by four different chartering organizations and has done extensive work since its formation including preparing an initial draft proposal that is being reviewed for public comment.

The January 2015 target date was driven by the request for proposals from the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG). It is by now clear that the January target date will not be met and that a new target needs to be agreed.

A number of sub-groups were formed to progress work on the different elements of the ICG Request for Proposals and a face-to-face meeting was run in mid-November 2014. A draft proposal was published for community comment on 1 December 2014 and the public comment period has since closed. An intensive work weekend followed on 10 & 11 January 2015 which attempted to systematically review inputs from the public comment.

Given the deadlines and associated intensity of the work of the CWG as well as the need for the GNSO as a chartering organisation to approve the proposal, it is relevant for the Council, and through it the GNSO, to receive a full update and to have the opportunity to discuss the work of the CWG.

The key elements of the discussion are:

  1. to create an opportunity for any questions or issues in and around the work of the CWG so that the councilors are properly appraised of that work and are in a position to educate and inform their communities
  2. to understand the mechanics of how this will be done

The Membership of the CWG can be found here.
GNSO members are: Jonathan Robinson, Greg Shatan (CSG), Graeme Bunton (RrSG), Avri Doria (NCSG), Donna Austin (RySG) and Stephanie Duchesneau (RySG alternate)

Donna Austin informed Council that the Registry Stakeholder Group (RySG) meets biweekly and provides a regular update on the status of the CWG work. The challenge is defining the balance of keeping the RySG up to date on what is useful information because with the speed in which things move ahead sometimes one moves past what is useful information and moves onto something else. When substantial decisions taken the group is informed via the mailing list. There is a sub-group which focusses on the stewardship transition work

Avri Doria informed Council that the NCSG meets every three or four weeks and there is a regular update. In addition the NCSG has formed a sub-group focused on these issues. Announcements are regularly forwarded to the full NCSG discuss list which is comprised of several hundred members. One NCSG phone call has been devoted to this issue. It is hard to say how the group will react in terms of accepting the proposal that has been put out. There are strong views in the NCSG on one type of model versus another.

Phil Corwin, a participant in the stewardship group and keeps the Business Constituency regularly updated with Greg Shatan's (CSG) reports during their biweekly calls. Steve DelBianco from the BC is the CSG liaison to the Accountability Working Group. Phil mentioned an article that he had published discussing, amongst other items, Secretary Strickling's recent remarks.

Jonathan Robinson noted that a webinar is planned next week to inform the community before the Singapore meetings.

The intention and expectations are that a discussion document with key questions for the community will be published and available in Singapore. This is to make sure that the respective groups, constituencies and stakeholder groups will be in a position to process and understand what has gone on and how and what the key questions arising are.

The aim is to synthesize and distill down the work of the CWG into key areas – to highlight where there is convergence, divergence and disagreement -- and then move to another level and highlight where there are critical questions or issues on which broader community input would be useful to the CWG.

Thomas Rickert is the co-chair of the parallel related and interconnected work on ICANN Accountability. That group has key links with the CWG work but also with some of the concerns that have been expressed in and around Council-related activity and that is how accountable the structures are to follow and adhere to GNSO based policy recommendations and to what extent is there recourse should this not occur.

Jonathan Robinson concluded by emphasizing the importance of keeping fully up to date with what is going on, being in a position to continually remain up to date and ultimately to support a proposal which hopefully emerges with relevant and appropriate level of consensus from the community.

Item 5: Update: Planning for ICANN meeting in Singapore – key direction & themes

Volker Greimann reported that the plans were running to schedule for the GNSO sessions in Singapore.
There will be an update on the GNSO Review Working Party on Wednesday 11 February 2015.

Councillors are encouraged to provide input for the discussions with the BOARD, GAC and ccNSO.

Avri Doria raised the question of how the coordination of the IANA Stewardship group and the Accountability group would be done at the Council level because that is one of the coordination places where the GNSO and the ccNSO are responsible for making sure that the two do dovetail?

In the absence of Any Other Business Jonathan Robinson, GNSO chair, adjourned the GNSO Council meeting and thanked everyone for their participation.<

The meeting was adjourned at 12:50 UTC.

The next GNSO Council public meeting will take place in Singapore on Wednesday, 11 February 2015 at 13:00 SGT (05:00 UTC)