Minutes of the GNSO Council Meeting 14 january 2016

Last Updated: 30 January 2016
Date: 
14 January 2016

Agenda and Documents

Coordinated Universal Time: 12:00 UTC
http://tinyurl.com/ha4rugt

04:00 Los Angeles; 07:00 Washington; 12:00 London; 14:00 Istanbul; 23:00 Hobart

The Meeting started at 12:03 UTC.

List of attendees:
NCA – Non Voting – Carlos Raúl Gutierrez
Contracted Parties House
Registrar Stakeholder Group: James Bladel, Volker Greimann, Jennifer Standiford
gTLD Registries Stakeholder Group: Donna Austin, Keith Drazek, Rubens Kühl
Nominating Committee Appointee (NCA): Hsu Phen Valerie Tan
Non-Contracted Parties House
Commercial Stakeholder Group (CSG): Philip Corwin, Susan Kawaguchi, Wolf-Ulrich Knoben, Tony Harris, Paul McGrady, Heather Forrest
Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG): Amr Elsadr- absent, apologies proxy Edward Morris, Stephanie Perrin, David Cake, Stefania Milan, Edward Morris, Marilia Maciel
Nominating Committee Appointee (NCA): Julf (Johan) Helsingius

GNSO Council Liaisons/Observers:
Olivier Crèpin LeBlond– ALAC Liaison
Patrick Myles - ccNSO Observer
Mason Cole – GNSO liaison to the GAC

ICANN Staff

David Olive - VP Policy Development
Marika Konings - Senior Policy Director
Rob Hoggarth - Senior Policy Director
Mary Wong – Senior Policy Director
Julie Hedlund – Policy Director
Steve Chan – Policy Director
Berry Cobb – Policy consultant
Lars Hoffmann – Policy Analyst
Glen de Saint Géry - GNSO Secretariat
Nathalie Peregrine - Specialist, SO/AC Support (GNSO)
Josh Baulch - Manager, Meetings Technical Services

MP3 Recording
Adobe Chat Transcript
Transcript

Item 1: Administrative matters

1.1 – Roll call
1.2 – Updates to Statements of Interest
1.3 – Review/amend agenda.

Discussion

The Council discussed the format and nature of its response to the CCWG-Accountability's Third Draft Proposal. Although there were several recommendations that met with general support broadly across the GNSO's Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies, there were also a few recommendations where there were differing views amongst some SG/Cs.
The Council had formed a Sub Team that prepared a document summarizing the overall GNSO position in relation to each of the CCWG's recommendations, and that document noted divergences amongst the SG/Cs as well as commonalities and certain areas where the GNSO believed modifications or conditions were necessary.
The GNSO Chair will prepare a letter addressed to the CCWG co-chairs explaining the GNSO response as well as an update of the Sub Team document for the Council's review before the next Council meeting on 21 January 2016.

Please see the transcript for the complete discussion that took place.

ACTION ITEMS:

  • Letter explaining GNSO Council response – James Bladel to prepare draft for Council consideration before 21 January, assisted by Keith Drazek and Ed Morris
  • Recommendations 5, 11 – James Bladel  to draft additional language along the lines of what was discussed/agreed on the call, assisted by Ed Morris  and Paul McGrady
  • Recommendation 1 - reinsert BC note about strong right of inspection (perhaps with cross-reference in/to Rec 3?)
  • Recommendation 2 - change "unanimous support" to "broad support"
  • Recommendations 3, 4 - no change
  • Recommendation 6 - remove last sentence; add note that certain questions remain to be resolved in Work Stream 2 (WS2)
  • Recommendation 7 - no change
  • Recommendation 8 –further elaboration needed on note about timeliness (including replies and deadlines)
  • Recommendation 9 - Review whether IPC comment on AOC section 8(b) and direct constituency participation in review teams should be included; review generally for accuracy
  • Recommendation 10 - emphasize need for it to be a community-led effort
  • Recommendation 12 - no change

James Bladel adjourned the GNSO Council meeting and thanked everyone for their participation.

The meeting was adjourned at 13:57 UTC.

The next GNSO Council Teleconference will take place on Thursday, 21 January 2016 at 21:00 UTC.

For other places see:
http://tinyurl.com/zjkmew8