- Council Activities
- Group Activities
- Quick Info
Date:1 September 2016
Coordinated Universal Time: 12:00 UTC
05:00 Los Angeles; 08:00 Washington; 13:00 London; 15:00 Istanbul; 22:00 Hobart
List of attendees:
NCA – Non Voting – Carlos Raúl Gutierrez
Contracted Parties House
Registrar Stakeholder Group: James Bladel, Volker Greimann, vacant seat –proxy Volker Greimann
gTLD Registries Stakeholder Group:
Donna Austin, Keith Drazek, Rubens Kühl
Nominating Committee Appointee (NCA):
Hsu Phen Valerie Tan
Non-Contracted Parties House
Commercial Stakeholder Group (CSG);
Philip Corwin, Susan Kawaguchi, Wolf-Ulrich Knoben, Tony Harris, Paul McGrady, Heather Forrest
Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG): Amr Elsadr, Stephanie Perrin, David Cake, Stefania Milan, Edward Morris, Marilia Maciel
Nominating Committee Appointee (NCA):
Julf (Johan) Helsingius
NCA – Non Voting –
Carlos Raúl Gutierrez
GNSO Council Liaisons/Observers:
Olivier Crèpin LeBlond– ALAC Liaison
Patrick Myles - ccNSO Observer - absent
Mason Cole – GNSO liaison to the GAC
David Olive -Senior Vice President, Policy Development Support and General Manager, ICANN Regional Headquarters- Istanbul
Marika Konings - Senior Policy Director
Mary Wong – Senior Policy Director
Julie Hedlund – Policy Director
Berry Cobb – Policy consultant
David Tait– Policy Specialist
Emily Barabas – Policy Analyst
Glen de Saint Géry - GNSO Secretariat
Nathalie Peregrine - Specialist, SO/AC Support (GNSO)
Terri Agnew - Specialist, SO/AC Support (GNSO)
Mike Brennan - Meetings Technical Services Specialist
Item 1: Administrative matters
1.1 – Roll call
1.2 – Updates to Statements of Interest
1.3 – Review/amend agenda.
1.4 – Note the status of minutes for the previous Council meetings per the GNSO Operating Procedures:
Minutes of the GNSO Council Meeting on 21 July 2016 were approved on 27 August 2016.
Item 1: Administrative matters
GNSO Council Email Vote 4-9 August 2016 on two motions before Council
In lieu of a GNSO Council meeting on 9 August 2016 to vote on two motions before Council that were time sensitive, the Council conducted an email vote. The motions voted on and the results of the email vote are recorded below :
Wolf-Ulrich Knoben, seconded by James Bladel, proposed a motion to approve the liaisons and members of the Customer Standing Committee (CSC)
- The package of proposals that was developed by the community in relation to the IANA Stewardship Transition called for the creation of a new structure, the Customer Standing Committee (CSC), to provide operational oversight of the performance of the IANA naming function, a role currently performed by the United States government through the National Telecommunications and Information Authority (NTIA).
- On 02 June 2016, the GNSO Council confirmed a Selection Committee to evaluate the candidates for the GNSO CSC liaison. The GNSO Council approved James Gannon as the CSC Liaison.
- The GNSO Council provided to ICANN the liaison name along with his Expression of Interest by the deadline of 22 July 2016.
- The GNSO Council requested that the Selection Committee shall engage, if requested, with the ccNSO Selection Committee to evaluate the full slate of CSC members and liaisons.
- The GNSO and ccNSO CSC Selection Committees met on 02 August to consider the CSC liaisons and members.
- The GNSO and ccNSO CSC Selection Committees sent to the ccNSO and GNSO Councils their recommended list of CSC liaisons and members.
- The GNSO Council has reviewed the list of CSC liaisons and members and approves the full list.
- The GNSO Council requests that the GNSO Secretariat notify ICANN no later than 10 August that the GNSO has approved the full list of CSC liaisons and members.
The motion carried unanimously.
James Bladel seconded by Donna Austin proposed a motion to adopt the GNSO Review of the GAC communiqué for submission to the ICANN Board
- The Governmental Advisory Committee advises the ICANN Board on issues of public policy, and especially where there may be an interaction between ICANN's activities or policies and national laws or international agreements. It usually does so as part of a Communiqué, which is published towards the end of every ICANN meeting.
- The GNSO is responsible for developing and recommending to the ICANN Board substantive policies relating to generic top-level domains (gTLDs).
- The GNSO has expressed a desire to provide feedback to the ICANN Board on issues in the GAC Communiqué as these relate to generic top-level domains, to inform the ICANN Board as well as the broader community of past, present or future gTLD policy activities that may directly or indirectly relate to advice provided by the GAC.
- The GNSO Council developed a template to facilitate this process, which was completed following the publication of the GAC's Helsinki Communiqué by a volunteer and shared with the GNSO Council for its review.
- The GNSO hopes that the input provided through its review of the GAC Communiqué will further enhance co-ordination and promote the sharing of information on gTLD related policy activities between the GAC, Board and the GNSO.
- The GNSO Council adopts the GNSO Review of the Helsinki GAC Communiqué (see http://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/review-gac-communique-27jul16-en.pdf [PDF, 178 KB]) and requests that the GNSO Council Chair communicate the GNSO Review of the Helsinki GAC Communiqué to the ICANN Board.
- Following the communication to the ICANN Board, the GNSO Council requests that the GNSO Council Chair informs the GAC Chair as well as the GAC-GNSO Consultation Group of the communication between the GNSO Council and the ICANN Board.
The motion carried unanimously.
Item 2: Opening Remarks / Review of Projects & Action List
- Staff to send out Doodle poll to find out if current and incoming Councilors will be present in Hyderabad (including for the Council Development Session on 9 November)
Item 3: Consent agenda
3.1 – Confirm dates for selection of GAC-GNSO liaison (motion passed on 30 June 2016) based on updated ICANN57 meeting dates: https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Motions+30+June+2016
Motion as passed, with dates to be updated as indicated below:
The GNSO Council hereby confirms the extension of the term of the current GNSO Liaison to the GAC, Mason Cole, until the end of the ICANN AGM in Hyderabad. The GNSO Council instructs the GNSO Secretariat to inform the GNSO Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies of the extended selection timeline (Nominations Accepted for Candidates - 1 OCT 2016; Council Chairs consider candidates and notify first choice - 20 OCT; Chairs submit motion to Council by 28 OCTOBER for consideration during Council meeting on 7 NOVEMBER; GAC Leadership notified of new Liaison by 9 NOV.
Item 4: COUNCIL VOTE – Approval of Recommendations from the Standing Committee on GNSO Improvements
Amr Elsadr seconded by Rubens Kuhl and as amended proposed a motion to approve the proposed modifications to the GNSO Operating Procedures relating to Elections and Motions
- On 05 March 2015 the SCI submitted to the GNSO Council a Review Request concerning the fact that there are currently no formal procedures on (i) whether, how and by whom a properly submitted motion is to be seconded, and (ii) treatment of proposed amendments to such motions as either "friendly" or "unfriendly".
- At its meeting on 19 March 2015 the GNSO Council asked that the SCI codify the existing customary practices of the GNSO Council and consider new processes to govern the seconding of motions and amendments to motions.
- In a motion approved on 19 November 2015 the GNSO Council requested the SCI: (1) To review Sections 2.2(b), (f) and (g) of the GNSO Operating Procedures with respect to clarifying: (i) the eligibility of incoming Council members to run for the position of GNSO Chair; (ii) the start and end dates and the duration of the Chair and Vice-Chair terms in accordance with the ICANN Bylaws; and (iii) the timing of publication of the election results; and (2) To recommend a general time table for election of the GNSO Council Chair to be approved by the GNSO Council and added to the GNSO Operating Procedures.
- After extensive consideration the SCI reached Full Consensus on modifications to the GNSO Council Operating Procedures relating to motions and the Chair/Vice-Chair elections.
- As required by the ICANN Bylaws, a public comment forum on the proposed modifications was opened on 05 July 2016 and closed on 14 August 2016 during which two comments were received that supported the proposed modifications.
- On its meeting on 16 July 2016, the GNSO Council adopted the charter of the GNSO Review Working Group, and instructed the SCI to disband following the completion of the two tasks now before the Council.
- The GNSO Council adopts the modifications to the GNSO Operating Procedures relating to motions and the Chair/Vice-Chair elections.
- The GNSO Council instructs ICANN staff to post the new version of the GNSO Operating Procedures, effective immediately upon adoption.
- The GNSO Council thanks both present and former members of the SCI, as well as Policy Staff and the GNSO Secretariat supporting them for the work they have done on behalf of the GNSO over the years since the SCI's formation.
Motion passed unanimously.
(NOTE: Motion as passed was amended from the motion as proposed – the sentence "The SCI is hereby disbanded" was deleted from the Resolved clauses as a friendly amendment prior to the vote)
- Staff to confirm that the Charter for the new GNSO Review Working Group includes a mandate for the group to handle future requests to review GNSO procedures
- Staff to post updated Operating Procedures to the GNSO website
Item 5: COUNCIL VOTE – Adoption of Implementation Advisory Group Recommendations to Update Procedure on WHOIS Conflicts with National Laws
Volker Greimann commented on behalf the Registrars.
Motion withdrawn following Council discussion
- Council leadership to initiate discussion on a proposed way forward on next steps for the GNSO concerning the Implementation Advisory Group Recommendations, including whether or not, and when, the motion should be reintroduced
Item 6: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – ICANN Board Letter on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures
- Council leadership to request input from SG/Cs as well as new gTLD Subsequent procedures Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group on questions raised in the ICANN Board letter in time for next GNSO Council meeting in view of crafting a consensus response by the Council.
Item 7: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – Next Steps for the Cross Community Working Group on Internet Governance
Deferred to the next Council meeting on 29 September 2016
- Discussion deferred to next meeting, where it will be moved higher up in the agenda to ensure there is adequate time for deliberation with a view toward Council action at ICANN57 in Hyderabad. Council leadership to send a note to the Council providing further details in relation to the reason for this topic being on the agenda.
Item 8: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – Proposed Cost Control Mechanisms and Request for GNSO Council Validation of the Budget for the Cross Community Working Group on Ensuring ICANN Accountability (CCWG-Accountability)
- Discussion to continue, with Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies encouraged to continue to contribute comments, with a view of concluding on the request for validation during the next Council meeting.
Item 9: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – Planning and Scheduling for ICANN57
- Councilors to contribute comments to the email thread on the Council mailing list regarding suggestions for improving planning and decision making on GNSO sessions.
- Council leadership to send a note explaining the proposed process for reviewing meeting requests.
- Councilors to ensure they begin the visa application process in a timely manner
Item 10: Any Other Business
10.1 – Discussion of note from Chris Disspain on status of IGO acronyms protection work
- Councilors to send comments on Chris Disspain's note via email to the Council list
10.2 – Confirmation of Council liaisons to the the Translation & Transliteration of gTLD Contact Data PDP, IRTP-C PDP, IRTP-D PDP and GNSO Review Working Group
- Continue discussion on the mailing list – note that a volunteer that has come forward for the Translation & Transliteration of gTLD Contact Data Implementation Review Team (IRT) – Amr Elsadr as well as a suggestion that appointments be made at a time when incoming Councilors will be known and thus eligible to volunteer
10.3 - Timeline for GNSO Chair/Vice-Chair elections leading up to and at ICANN57 to be shared following meeting – Councillors encouraged to share any questions / concerns with mailing list
10.4 Proposed Measures for Letter/Letter Two-Character ASCII Labels to Avoid Confusion with Corresponding Country Code
- Staff to circulate the timelinefor GNSO Chair/Vice-Chair elections to Council mailing list
10.4 – Proposed measures for 2-letter labels to be released
- Continue discussion on Council list
James Bladel adjourned the GNSO Council meeting and thanked everyone for their participation.
The meeting was adjourned at 14:15 UTC.
The next GNSO Council Teleconference will take place on Thursday,29 September 2016 at 21:00 UTC.
For other places see: