Last Updated: 31 August 2009
This working group was formed following a Council resolution on 18 May 2006.
Decision 4: That the GNSO Council forms a GNSO working group of volunteers, conversant with the IDN issues raised in the IDN issues report.
The purpose of the working group would be to:
(1) review the Issues Report,
(2) prioritise the policy issues in the Issues Report for further work,
(3) develop the terms of reference for an initial policy development process in the area of IDNs within the GNSO,
(4) propose ways of interacting with ICANN groups such as the President's Advisory Committee on IDNs, the GAC, ALAC, SSAC and other related groups in ICANN, and
(5) select three representatives to interact with the three ccNSO representatives to form a separate joint GNSO/ccNSO working group to:
(5.1) agree on the priority issues and determine whether to examine the issues as a single "joint" PDP, or as two separate PDPs
(5.2) provide a report to the GNSO and ccNSO Councils with recommendations for terms of reference of one or more PDPs, and the mechanisms for coordination with other parts of ICANN
The group would aim to have recommendations completed by the end of July 2006.