- Council Activities
- Group Activities
- Quick Info
Date:29 March 2017
What Happened at ICANN58?
At ICANN58, the GNSO Community organized 55 sessions. This included a number of GNSO Working Groups who organized a series of sessions to advance discussion on topics impacting generic top level domains (gTLDs), such as policies related to new gTLD subsequent procedures, next generation registration directory services to replace WHOIS, and a review of all rights protection mechanisms for gTLDs. In addition, a number of non-policy topics were addressed throughout the week such as the implementation of the GNSO Review recommendations as well as the work in relation to the GNSO's new rights and obligations under the post-transition ICANN Bylaws.
In addition, the GNSO held a series joint sessions. The GNSO met with the Country Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) and discussed the status of Cross-Community Working Groups (CCWGs), including CCWGs on Use of Country and Territory Names as Top-Level Domains, Internet Governance, and New gTLD Auction Proceeds. The charter review for the Customer Standing Committee and processes and procedures to make the Empowered Community function effectively were also discussed. The GNSO joint session with the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) covered a number of topics, including new gTLD subsequent rounds, the implementation plan for the GAC-GNSO Consultation Group Final Report, opportunities for substantive discussion on topics within Policy Development Processes (PDPs) for which there are different opinions in the community, and PDP-generated workload. The GNSO met with the ICANN Board of Directors and discussed the scope of participation and pace of progress for the Cross-Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability Workstream 2, the GNSO's priorities for the coming year, the ICANN Board of Directors' priorities for the coming year, as well as stewardship of the ICANN model and protection of the GNSO/PDP remit.
The GNSO also held two facilitated dialogue sessions with the GAC to discuss the second-level protection of International Governmental Organization (IGO) and International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) names and acronyms, which resulted in encouraging progress on the issue.
During its open meeting, the GNSO Council adopted the charter for a GNSO Standing Selection Committee (SSC). This Committee will be tasked with making recommendations to the GNSO Council on all GNSO appointments to ICANN structures, such as Review Team members, Liaisons, and the GNSO representative to the Empowered Community. Furthermore, the GNSO Council confirmed Erika Mann as the GNSO Co-Chair for the Cross Community Working Group on New gTLD Auction Proceeds replacing Jonathan Robinson, who announced in February that he would be stepping down from the position.
Over the next few weeks, the GNSO PDP working groups will resume their regular meeting schedule. Notably, the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG announced that it is planning a cross-community discussion at ICANN59 on geographic names at the top-level and a webinar on 25 April leading into the discussion.
Following the dialogue on second-level protection of International Governmental Organization (IGO) and International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) names and acronyms, work will continue to resolve outstanding issues related to this topic.
The GNSO SSC is expected to form shortly, with a call for volunteers to GNSO Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies already out. In addition, the Council plans to review the updated Charter for the CCWG on Internet Governance during its upcoming meeting. The Council will continue to discuss a proposed Council request for an update of the legal review that had been done previously for the Thick WHOIS Implementation Review Team.
Working groups are currently accepting public comments on several documents, including the Initial Report of the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms Policy Development Process, the Interim Paper of the Cross-Community Working Group on Use of Names of Countries and Territories as Top-Level Domains, and the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Policy Development Process Working Group's Community Comment 2. In the coming months, the working groups will consider feedback received through public comments.
Planning for ICANN59 is already underway. Community leaders and ICANN organization representatives are working together to ensure continuous improvement on the new meetings strategy to ensure a successful meeting in Johannesburg.
Listen to recordings from GNSO sessions held at ICANN57 and read more about the work of the GNSO:
- GNSO Council Meeting | Working Session, Public Meeting
- Joint Meetings: ccNSO | GAC | ICANN Board of Directors
- GNSO-GAC Facilitated Dialogue on IGO and Red Cross Protections | Session 1, Session 2
- New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Working Group | Workspace, Session
- Next Generation Registration Directory Services PDP Working Group | Workspace, Session
- Review of All Rights Protection Mechanisms in All gTLDs PDP Working Group | Workspace, Session
- IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms PDP Working Group | Workspace, Session
- Thick WHOIS Implementation Review Team | Workspace, Session
- IGO-INGO Implementation Review Team | Workspace, Session
- Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Implementation Review Team | Workspace, Session
- GNSO Review Working Group | Workspace, Session
- GNSO Bylaws Implementation Drafting Team | Workspace, Session
- CCWG on New gTLD Auction Proceeds | Workspace, Session
- CCWG on the Use of Country and Territory Names as TLDs | Workspace
- Cross-Community Discussion with Data Protection Commissioners | Session
- GNSO ICANN58 Wrap Up Interview
Public Comment Opportunities:
- Initial Report of the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms PDP WG
- Interim Paper of the CCWG on Use of Names of Countries and Territories as Top-Level Domains
- New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG's Community Comment 2