

**GNSO
Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery (PEDNR) drafting team
08 March 2011 at 19:30 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Post Expiration Domain Name Recovery (PEDNR) drafting team teleconference on 08 March 2011 at 19:30 UTC. . Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

Attendees:

James Bladel - Registrar Constituency
Paul Diaz - Registrar Constituency
Alan Greenberg - ALAC Liaison to GNSO Council, Chair
Tatiana Khramtsova - Registrar Constituency
Cheryl Langdon-Orr - ccNSO Liaison APRALO
Sivasubramanian Muthusamy - ALAC IDN liaison - At Large
Michele Neylon - Registrar Constituency
Michael O'Connor - Commercial and Business Users Constituency (CBUC)
Mason Cole - Registrar Constituency
Ron Wickersham - Non Commercial Users Constituency
Jeffrey Eckhaus - Registrar Constituency
Berry Cobb - Commercial and Business Users Constituency

ICANN Staff:

Glen de Saint Gery
Marika Könings
Margie Milam
Kristina Nordström

Apologies:

Michael Young - RySG
Olivier Crepin-Leblond - ALAC Chair
Oliver Hope - Registrar
Karim Mohamed Attoumani - Government Advisory Committee

Coordinator: Excuse me, this is the Operator. Today's call is now being recorded. If you have any objections, you may disconnect at this time.

Gisella Gruber-White: Thank you very much. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone on today's PEDNR Call on Tuesday the 8th of March. We have Mikey O'Connor, Mason Cole, Allen Greenberg, James Bladel, Paul Diaz,

Berry Cobb, Jeff Eckhaus, Michele Neylon. From staff, we have Margie Milam, Marika Konings and myself, Gisella Gruber-White. An apology is noted from Ted Suzuki and Olivia Crepin-LeBlond.

(Unintelligible) please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. And, once again, apologies for the delay in starting this call. Thank you. Over to you, Alan.

Alan Greenberg: Thank you, Gisella. I think the agenda today is just to review the presentation, make any suggestions we have. And we've already had an email discussion going on this morning on that. And identify people who will - who are willing to speak at these various sessions.

Is there anything else that we need to do? If not, I will ask Marika to go over the presentation with us.

Marika Konings: So this is in regard to the slides are up on the screen. Everyone has the control themselves. So you can scroll with me. So the first line is just the background on, you know, what the working groups thought about to do, what we've done so far. And going into Slide 3, Lease and Development, we're talking about initial reports, you know, what we've done with (the) comments received when we published our final report and mention of the public comment forum, which will be open until the 7th of April.

Then we go into Slide 4, 5 and 6, which basically contain a summary of the different recommendations that include as well a note that some of this is part of refinements and highlighting that some of the bracketed language in the report indicates where some discussion is required. Slide 7 goes into Next Steps, encouraging people to participate, noting that the next step following closing of public comments will be for the working group general review comments and finalize report for submission.

And then on Slide 8 are the links to the final report and the comments (part).

Man: I don't know about other people. But my screen is frozen. I can't get past five.

Woman: Okay let me try to, like, take back control maybe. Can you...

Man: Now I have a...

Woman: ...see the slides moving now?

Man: Now I have the slide background and nothing else on my screen. I don't know. But, anyways, is everyone seeing the same thing?

Man: I have the Next Step Slides.

Man: Yes, I can...

Woman: Right. That's what you should see.

Man: It's just me then. So let's not worry about it. Let's go on anyway.

Woman: Okay. So, yes, you might want to restart Adobe Connect. It sometimes happens that it freezes. So but, basically, yes. A copy was also attached to the email I sent - I think I sent on Monday. So, if people are having problems with Adobe Connect, you can find the slides on as well in the email I sent.

So that's in a nutshell, the presentation. I think there was discussion on the list that there should be a slide going before the recommendation, basically outlining the - what the objective was of the working group. Then introduce recommendations. And, I believe, seeing the last emails that there is an agreement around what those bullets should say.

So I guess the question is, are there any other changes that should be made or any other information that should be added? And I know, Alan, you offered

to provide some more detailed slides on some of the recommendations in case needed for more in depth discussion.

Alan Greenberg: Yes. My feeling is during council - the council meeting, there may well be some questions. And I think something with a little bit more detail flushing it out will be useful there.

And in the public session, partly depending on what kind of response we get during the council session, we may actually want to, you know, insert a few of the more critical ones, you know, the ones where the summary is, perhaps, a little bit cryptic and doesn't really address the full substance of the recommendations.

And, as I said, I'm willing to put them together and, you know, obviously distribute to the group and see if there's anything - any other comments on them if people think that's a good idea.

I think we came close to closure on the one preceding the recommendations to try to give - my intent was, again, not to raise any red flags but to try to give an overall summary of what we believe the recommendations were doing. And I think Mason was correct that it wasn't the intent of the working group but what we believe we have done, regardless of what our intent was along the way.

I think Michael is well - is correct in that we probably should address other stakeholders. But the focus really is on registrar's work because they are the ones. So, my inclination is to say something like registrars and other stakeholders.

If there's any, you know, if there's general agreement on that, I'll try my hand at crafting some merger of what Michael had and my last version and put it out to the list. Other than that, is there any - is there general agreement on that? And are there any other comments on the presentation?

Seeing no hands up, no nays. I'm assuming everyone else is saying - implicitly saying yes. In terms of the schedule, on the Monday session, all we're against is the new gTLD program status. So no one will be interested in that. So we should have a good audience. (Jeez) everyone's asleep. I was expecting heckling on that call.

Jeff Eckhaus: It's Jeff. I don't know how to raise my hand. I lost the functionality. I can't do...

((Crosstalk))

Man: ...the top in this new deal.

Man: Oh, there it is. I keep it tucked in.

Man: Somewhere at the top, a little man with a hand up and if you click it, it will raise your hand.

Man: There we go.

Man: There you go.

Man: Okay, so one of my questions was, are we going - do you expect - I mean, I know what's been in the past but - any Q&A from the council on this? And do we want to, maybe, think about - I don't know, maybe talk to our - talk to council. I don't know about, you know - what if they - is it going to be like, hey here it is, you talk. Everyone's, you know, looking at their laptop.

Sorry, you know, it's not you. But that's how it normally goes. And then it moves on. Or do we expect Q&A? And if we do, should we think about preparing anything or having...

Man: We've got, I think - Marika is it now a half hour allocated to this? I've lost track. At one point, I think it was...

Marika Konings: That's correct.

Man: Okay, at one point...

Marika Konings: That's correct, 30 minutes.

Man: Okay at one point, it was 45 minutes. I think it's now a half an hour. So, clearly as Marika indicated, we can go through the slides in five minutes flat, maybe a little bit longer. So, yes, I am expecting some question and answer.

Man: All right and that's - I think Michele just put in the thing. It's on 9:30 am on Saturday.

Man: Yes.

Man: Okay. Well just me, personally, I am actually not arriving until 11:00 so I will miss this. So, but okay.

Man: I guess you're not going to speak at it then.

Man: No, I - that's so I will - I'm not going to be able to speak at it even though my flight is probably the shortest one. I have about an hour and forty minute flight. I'm not able to make it until 11:00 am on Saturday.

Man: All right, I guess I'm going to - I thought this was in the afternoon. But I guess it's being juggled. Okay, who on this group is going to be there on Saturday morning and can participate in the discussion? I'd prefer it if it's not just me speaking.

Mason Cole: I can. It's Mason.

Man: Okay.

Man: Mikey's going to be there.

Man: All right.

Man: James will be there.

Man: Paul too.

Man: Mikey and Mason, okay. How do you want to do...

Man: (Unintelligible).

Man: ...this? Do you want me just to do the introduction and turn it over to someone else for the recommendations? And then we all field questions? Or turn it over to two people for the recommendations? Decide early Saturday morning? Or do you want to try to settle it now or in email before the meeting?

Man: Michele...

Michele Neylon: Well, I mean, think - what's - we in the IRTP Working Group, we have - were discussing this earlier today. And several of those people are on this call, not all of them, obviously. There is a certain degree of crossover. I mean, the way we were looking at is, I think, we were expecting more interaction in the longer meeting. (Unintelligible) in the GNSO...

Man: Michele, you're breaking up badly.

Michele Neylon: It takes two to tango. It's the other line - end of the line is breaking up as well.

Man: Oh, okay.

Man: I'm sorry, Michele. I'm sorry, what does that mean? It takes two to tango on that...

Michele Neylon: Well what I mean is -was it was breaking up. I could hear you breaking up as well. So we want - I wasn't expecting a huge number of queries and everything in such a short period during the GNSO update. I mean, obviously, there could be some. But I think it's what the - it's the public facing meeting, which is an hour and a half long, where it is probably going to be more - where there's more time for interaction.

And what we did was, we just, kind of, said right well, you know, some people are probably more comfortable talking about certain things than others and just depending on what people are asking about then to, kind of, handle it that way rather than trying to overthink it. Does that make sense to you, Alan?

Alan Greenberg: Yes. No I think I agree in general. In terms of the public session, I would like to make it clear to the people that this is a work group output not just the output of me or, you know, the users or something. And having other people present part of it, I think, is part of that message.

I mean this one, this report, I think, is going to be a little bit more controversial than some of the IRTB - IRTPB parts. And I think it's important to send the message that this is a work group report not, you know, not something that has been authored by only one part of the group or another.

I'm happy in council to take the lead on it and do the presentation and have other people answer questions or join in. I'd like to follow the lead of whatever the group wants. In the public session, I would like more participation, you know, in terms of presenters. (No)...

Mikey O'Connor: This is Mikey. I'll...

Man: Yes, please could you just call out? Don't worry about raising hands at this point. Go ahead, Mikey.

Mikey O'Connor: I'll cheerfully present whatever part you want me to present.

Alan Greenberg: Okay. All right. How about, in terms of the council meeting, we'll talk about it just prior to the meeting. I don't think it's going to take more than three minutes to, you know, decide who does what.

In terms of the public session, we will have until Monday to decide that. And I would suggest that we get together for ten minutes during a break sometime and, you know, decide how we're going to divvy up the work? Again, I think Michele's right of trying to overthink it right now and predict it may not be the best thing.

Is there anyone on this group who is - who knows they will not be at the Monday session that will be at the gTLD session instead? I think that's one of the critical issues.

Man: Sorry, what's the question Alan?

Alan Greenberg: The question is, on the Monday session, which is opposite the new gTLD review, the status update, are there people on this call that will - that know they will not be at the PEDNR meeting but will be at the gTLD one instead? Are we going to lose all of our working group to that - to the other meeting is the question.

Jeff Eckhaus: It's Jeff here. I'm 50/50 at this point. I have to see if I can get coverage on the other meeting from another colleague, if possible.

Alan Greenberg: All right. I think that's another reason not to define this to death right now. But we will clearly have to do it prior to Monday. So, you know, sometime

between Saturday and Sunday, we'll have to come to closure on who does what on Monday.

Man: Alan, I'm sorry. Can I - do you mind if I ask Gisella a question while...

Alan Greenberg: Sure, go ahead.

Man: ...she's on the line? Gisella, is the meeting schedule on the ICANN Web site for Saturday and Sunday, is that - that's the latest GNSO schedule, is that right?

Gisella Gruber-White: We'll be able to confirm within the next hours. I know that they're still doing some tweaking to the GNSO schedule. I'm not sure if Marika's got any further update.

Marika Konings: Yes, this is Marika. I noted as well that the link to the wiki is not completely up to date yet. There are some meetings that haven't been filled in yet on the social effects wiki. But I think Glen is working on that. I'll check with her as well if she can, maybe, send out an update version to the council list so people can take the Excel sheet from there as well.

Man: Okay. All right, thanks. All right, sorry Alan.

Alan Greenberg: That's okay. All right. At this point, given I've got some homework to do in terms of re-crafting that first statement, the one preceding the recommendations and coming up with some suggested ones to talk about the recommendations in depth.

I'll say ahead of time, my intent is not to put any, you know, controversial messages in them. But if you see something that you think is not accurate or right, then please just point it out to me. And, we'll play the Saturday meeting be ear. I'll start off presenting. And if, you know - depending on who's there in the room, we may divvy it up a little bit.

And sometime over the weekend, we need to decide on who's covering what on the public meeting on Monday afternoon.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Alan, Cheryl here...

Alan Greenberg: Yes, Cheryl.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I'd highly like to the PEDNR session. The sittings that are already in session isn't scheduled to finish until 5:30. Obviously, I will bail as soon as I can. But it will be at a discussion point break. That should mean I'm just missing the show and tell, not the interaction.

Alan Greenberg: Good, thank you. Is there anything else we need to discuss today? Marika or anyone else?

Marika Konings: This is Marika. One thing we might want to discuss but I don't know if anyone already knows when we have the next meeting following the San Francisco meeting, when we should, you know, tentatively, schedule a call, you know, to pick up discussions.

I don't know if people want to wait until the closing of the public comment period or whether everybody want to start, you know, as we still have some bracketed language or items that we know need to be part of the - if the discussion should already start earlier than the 7th of April. That's another open item.

Alan Greenberg: Let me ask Cheryl a question. There was a private discussion going on. Both Cheryl and I were rather surprised that the public comment period opened on the 21st of March. We had been under the impression that we weren't going to start it until after the meeting.

And, therefore, it's closing a lot earlier than we thought it was. Cheryl, do you get a feeling that the ALAC will be able to respond given the language issues and the, you know, the translation issue and such, adequately by the 7th of April? Or are you likely to have a problem with that?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I would think that the best way to get feedback on that would be if we can engage the original before that date would be if we can engage the original leadership community more effectively in the public forum. Failing that, in other words if many of them are actually in the gTLD room, which they may be, then yes, I see a possible request for an extension to 40 - for another, you know, 12 to 15 days only because of them not being able to do their synopsis in local language rather than use provided translations. But...

Alan Greenberg: Marika, what's the status of the translations of our documents?

Marika Konings: This is Marika. I've been told, when I submitted the documents, that they should become available today. So I'm going to follow up because I haven't seen anything yet. So I'm still hoping that they'll get here before I start traveling so we can actually get them posted before the start of the meeting.

And when they're available, I'll send a notice to the list so you can distribute that as well then to the ALAC community.

Alan Greenberg: Thank you.

Woman: Marika, it's (Arnay). If they're available, you know, when you're there, you know, early days in the prep days, it might be useful then to have them put on the little (thumb) drive that our people get with their background material.

Marika Konings: Okay. So I guess who prepares - Gisella are you the one preparing that? Do you want me to leave those with you? Or is Heidi in charge of that?

Gisella Gruber-White: To me. Yes, Marilyn is downloading them and (unintelligible).

Marika Konings: Okay. So I'm going to check to see what the status is of the translations. And as soon as I get them, I'll forward them to Gisella. And if there's time, we'll get them on the drives as well.

Woman: Yes, well the advantage of putting them on the drives is that, with our people traveling as well, we know they've got them day one. And they can use them and, indeed, distribute them locally in their local language areas. So...

Alan Greenberg: Okay. At this point, assuming the public comment period closes on time, it closes on the 7th if I remember correctly, I would suggest we want to schedule a meeting for the 12th. If there is an extension of the comment period, then we will, you know - chances are we'll delay that meeting.

But, at this point, I hate to mention it but the cutoff for the June Singapore meeting is very soon. And we're only going to have a moderate number of weeks to go over the public comments and craft any changes we want in the final report. So I don't think we can afford to waste any time once the public comment period actually closes.

So, I would say schedule - excuse me. Schedule a meeting for the 12th. If we delay it, we delay it. But at this point, I would say schedule a meeting for the 12th and every Tuesday thereafter, so that we can try to get the work done in terms of the - before the next cutoff, which as I said, is approaching very quickly.

It's sometime in May, I'm presuming, or the end of May at least. Marika, your hand up. Or is that from before?

Marika Konings: Oh, yes. Sorry, that was from before - lowering it now.

Alan Greenberg: Anything else? I haven't been following the comments if there's anything there that we need to look at - doesn't think so. Anyone else have anything

before we adjourn when I give you back a few hours and let Marika actually get some sleep?

Woman: They think Marika gets sleep? Good Heavens.

Alan Greenberg: It's like letting you get sleep. We like to do it occasionally just to fool you.

Man: I love the scene where Marika was coming in off the porch to give her summary of the presentation earlier on this call.

Man: Sorry, I must have missed that.

Man: I heard a lot of screen door noise.

Man: If she was coming in off the porch, her weather is better than mine is.

Marika Konings: I wish I was sitting outside. Unfortunately, no, I'm pretty cold here. But I was moving to a different room. So well spotted Mikey.

Man: Yesterday, the God's surprised us with an extra, something like 20 cm of snow just because we were so good this year. So...

Alan Greenberg: Okay people. Thank you very much for coming. And we'll see you in San Francisco.

Woman: Okay.

Alan Greenberg: If there's anything you need...

Woman: (Unintelligible).

Alan Greenberg: ...to be discussed, please post on the list.

Man: Okay.

Man: Bye.

Alan Greenberg: And hopefully you'll see my...

Man: Bye, bye.

Alan Greenberg: ...stuff before the end of Friday. Okay...

Man: Okay. See you.

Alan Greenberg: Bye bye all.

Woman: Bye.

Man: Bye bye.

Woman: Thank you. Goodbye.

Man: Bye.

Man: Bye guys.

Man: Thank you Marika.

Woman: Bye.

Man: Bye bye.

Gisella Gruber-White: Thank you Operator.

Operator: Thank you. Have a good day.

Gisella Gruber White: You too. Thank you very much. Bye bye.

Operator: Bye.

END