

**Charter Drafting Team for the Outreach Task Force (OTF-DT)
TRANSCRIPT**

Wednesday 20 July 2011 at 1300 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

<http://audio.icann.org/gns0/gns0-otf-charter-dt-20110720-en.mp3>

On page:

<http://gns0.icann.org/calendar/#jul>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: <http://gns0.icann.org/calendar/>

Participants on the call:

Carlos Aguirre – NCA
Roy Dykes – NeuStar
Olga Cavalli – NCA, Chair
Debra Hughes – NCSG, alternate Chair

ICANN:

Staff Julie
Hedlund
Glen de Saint
Géry Gisella.Gruber-White

Apologies:

Tony Harris – ISP

Absent:

Amr Elsadr - NCSG

Coordinator: Excuse me this is the operator. And I'd like to inform the conference that today's call is being recorded and if you have any objections you may disconnect at this time. And thank you, you may begin.

Gisella Gruber-White: Thank you very much. Good morning, good afternoon to everyone on today's Charter Drafting Team for the Outreach Task Force conference call on Wednesday the 20th of July.

We have Olga Cavalli, (Roy Dykes), Carlos Aguirre. From staff we have Julie Hedlund and myself Gisella Gruber. And apologies noted today from Tony Harris.

If I could also just remind you to state your names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you over to you Olga.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you. Thank you very much. This is Olga Cavalli. Welcome. Thank you for joining us in this Drafting Team for the charter of this working of this Global Outreach Task Force.

Just a brief background for (Roy) and for Carlos. Gisella...

Carlos Aguirre: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: ...and Julie have joined me and been with us on all this process through 2009, 2010 in our another working team that it's over now because we finished our work that we did recommendations for constituencies and also we prepared a toolkit of services.

And one of the other things that we had to do was to work on the outreach issue. So our last task and we organized a sub working team that was leaded by Debbie Hughes.

And some of us participated in the that sub working team. And we prepared this document that then was reviewed by the whole working team and then approved by the GNSO.

So here we are with some ideas about how to increase the participation in GNSO. Why I think this document is important.

GNSO is, as you may know, I don't know (Roy) how much you follow the GNSO conference calls and documents and meetings. Carlos has been working with us for a year so far almost.

Man: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: It's a highly intensive group of people working in several complicated documents which requires a lot of time and a lot of effort.

So we have been sensing the fact that we have an exhaustion of resources. People is - it's getting too much to do in several working teams.

And then it's difficult to find people and it's always the same people that participate because they are in the road and in the group.

So the goal is to enhance that participation with new people from the GNSO community and especially also focusing in those areas where GNSO is not so present.

GNSO is not so present in some areas of the world just because of the structure of the GNSO.

As you know we have the constructed house. And the constructed house and the constructed house has manly participation from registries and registrars.

And as you know registries and registrars are mainly located in developed countries in the north of the world, Europe and United States and some in Asia but a few from Latin America, from some other parts of Asia and few from Africa.

So the purpose of this document was to think of a group that could work on a strategy to enhance that participation of - to have more volunteer work from

the community and also to enhance the participation of those areas of the world that are not so active in the GNSO.

That's the main objective of the document. I don't know if you had the chance to review it or if you have any doubt.

The document I'm talking about it's the one named Recommendations to Develop a Global Outreach Program to broaden participation in the GNSO.

(Roy Dykes): This is (Roy). I did read the document. So and just as a quick - so background on myself. I've been with Neustar now two months. But I'm not new to the Internet community.

Before that I worked at you probably heard of the Registrar Network Solutions. I worked there for 2-1/2 years prior to coming to Neustar.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

(Roy Dykes): When I was at Network Solutions though I did not work in the domain space. I worked mainly on more value-added services like hosting email products and SSLs.

But again, not foreign to Internet, the Internet business but ramping up here on - in the domain space...

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

(Roy Dykes): ...as it is. But I - and I did read the document.

And I also scanned the operating procedures document that was attached as well. So I'm not coming in completely cold but just here to contribute and understand where I can best fit.

Olga Cavalli: Okay thanks for having the attention of reading the document. And Carlos any comments so far?

Woman: Sorry to interrupt Olga...

Carlos Aguirre: No my comment is a question. Who is the people -the person who talk before you Olga?

Olga Cavalli: It's (Roy) from Neustar, right?

Carlos Aguirre: (Roy)?

(Roy Dykes): Yes, yes correct (Roy Dykes).

Olga Cavalli: I don't know...

Carlos Aguirre: Okay because...

Olga Cavalli: ...how to spell your last name but I imagine how to spell your name.

Gisella Gruber-White: Sorry to interrupt, Debra Hughes has joined the call.

Olga Cavalli: Debbie welcome.

Debra Hughes: Hey Olga I've been on for a while. I didn't want to interrupt.

Olga Cavalli: Don't worry, you're always welcome. And I mentioned before Debra Hughes has just joined. And Debbie was responsible for chairing the sub Working Team that work on the first version of this document. And then we worked it with the whole working team. So welcome Debbie.

Carlos your question?

Carlos Aguirre: No, no, no. On Adobe (unintelligible) I'm only me. So I don't know what happened?

Olga Cavalli: I didn't enter. I just - I imagined that we were going to be few so it's not so complicated to manage the...

Carlos Aguirre: No, have no other question.

Olga Cavalli: And I have the two documents open so my apologies for not opening it.

Debbie I was just giving a little background about what we did in our working team.

Debra Hughes: Yes sure. This is Debbie Hughes. And, you know, the sub Working Group worked really hard on trying to get a document that made sense and that kind of aligned with what the board governance committee wanted us to do.

And so now we're at the point where I think there is Drafting Team needs to come up with, you know, how do we want to move forward?

And I just want to say welcome to everybody who's on the call. I don't know who all is - who else is on the call. I heard (Roy). I heard Carlos and you. I wasn't sure who else we had.

Olga Cavalli: And then we had Julie and Gisella and you.

Debra Hughes: Okay all right great, so welcome.

Olga Cavalli: Small and nice group of people.

Debra Hughes: Indeed.

Olga Cavalli: Okay so our mission is to work in a charter for our Outreach Task Force. The idea of the Task Force is to have a very quite small and dynamic group of people that can do this outreach activities that I described in the document.

It shouldn't be a large group that becomes very, very difficult to manage. But at the same time this small group should be able to contact the local communities and to be able to do this outreach activities, I mean before for example an ICANN meeting be able to do some actions to make it really for the community.

We have seen some meetings where it's all of us that go to the meeting and see people from the local community. I've seen them sometimes in Africa or Latin America.

And that's really it's a shame because it's a lot of time and money put in that in the meeting. And it could be enhanced by contacting previously some local institutions that could enhance participation and make the meeting well-known in the community. So this is some of the activities that we think for this task force.

At the same time I have a document that Julie sent to us as the working group guidelines. These were also developed by others of the Working Teams, not by ours but other working teams working in this.

And if you go to point I think it's seven there we have some outlines for charter. Let me go to that part of the document.

I lost it. I cannot find it. I've been reading charter guidelines. Julie perhaps you can help me. There is a section...

((Crosstalk))

Olga Cavalli: Oh here ,6.2 Working Group charter template.

Julie Hedlund: Right. This is Julie and I...

Olga Cavalli: I thought it was 7 but 7 wasn't out.

Julie Hedlund: ...you have 7 Adobe Connect room. And we doing courage you to use it.
Gisella has sent around these links to it.

Carlos is in the room. I do have the document, the documents loaded into the room. And I've moved to Section 6.2 Working Group Charter template.

I don't have access - do I have a link for the Adobe? I don't have it...

Debra Hughes: You know, it was Gisella, the message that Gisella sent last night, the reminder and Adobe Connect is a reminder Adobe Connect/charter drafting team. And the Adobe Connect room is icann.adobeconnect.com/otf...

Man: Olga?

Olga Cavalli: Yes?

Man: I send you by Skype.

Olga Cavalli: Okay I guess I don't...

Woman: Who's Olga on Skype?

(Roy Dykes): I'll be there momentarily. This is (Roy).

Debra Hughes: Great. It's just we're starting to do this more often with our meetings so that people have, you know, the opportunity to document...

Olga Cavalli: There I have it.

Debra Hughes: Great.

Olga Cavalli: So we can all look at the same document?

Debra Hughes: Right.

And I should just let everyone know that these are - these working group guidelines in this template they were developed by the - in one of the - by the PPFC.

The PPFC is one of the steering committees established by the Board Governance Committee.

And these are actually - these guidelines are now incorporated into the GNSO counsel operating procedures so they are official.

And this charter template is meant to be a guide for any working groups, work teams, any of the groups that are formed under the GNSO to use as a guide when developing charters. So that's why I went ahead and sent it out.

And welcome all the CIC. You're both in the room.

Olga Cavalli: Yes I'm in the room. Thanks to you Carlos for the link. And thank you Julie for origin of this document.

First before going to the Working Group Charter Template which should be our guide to build our charter I would like to review with you - I am the interim chair of this drafting team just because I propose it in the GNSO. And I just propose myself as, you know, the - an interim chair. But I would like you to exchange some ideas with me how we move forward. Who wants to be the chair?

We are not many, it's not complicated. Or you want me to be the chair or you want some of you being the chair?

Man: You are great Olga.

Olga Cavalli: I am great.

Woman: I agree. I would love for you to be the chair Olga.

Olga Cavalli: Okay we have (Roy) on the line. Oh, he said he was coming in a moment.

(Roy Dykes): I'm in the Chat Room. I'm in the Adobe Connect.

Olga Cavalli: (Roy) I was just asking the group, I just was appointed by the GNSO as interim chair because I proposed this Working Team to the GNSO.

I was asking who wants to be the chair and if you all - if you want me to keep only in the chair?

(Roy Dykes): Yes I think that's fine.

Olga Cavalli: Sorry I didn't hear you?

(Roy Dykes): Yes I think that's fine.

Olga Cavalli: So you - it's okay that I keep on chairing this group?

(Roy Dykes): Yes.

Olga Cavalli: Okay, okay thank you very much...

(Roy Dykes): Sure.

Olga Cavalli: ...and for your confidence. And another question, which is the best daytime for meeting every - I think we could meet - I don't know, it shouldn't take us very long especially if we are a small group and we work in cooperation among us.

We not always have that lucky environment. Debbie and I know that sometimes working groups can be quite complicated.

I don't have the feeling that we have this problem here so if we all work towards one objective which is having our document ready say by a month from now or something like that I think perhaps we could meet.

You like the idea of meeting every week one hour or you want every two weeks? How do you see - I don't know which is your workload if you have time, comments?

Man: I like the idea...

Olga Cavalli: I myself am okay with one hour per week in any day and time that you find okay.

Carlos Aguirre: Yes it's okay for me.

(Roy Dykes): This is (Roy) I agree also.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

(Roy Dykes): I will comment if it's okay with the team that this particular time is a conflict with one on my - with one of the other calls that I have that's ICANN related.

Julie Hedlund: Yes then this is Julie. I also have a conflict normally with this time. I had an opening just this week but otherwise...

(Roy Dykes): Okay.

Julie Hedlund: ...call at this time.

Olga Cavalli: Yes...

(Roy Dykes): I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Olga Cavalli: ...it may be conflicting for me because I usually teach at this hour of the day and this day of the week.

The fact is that this in July I have holidays at the university. But it's also conflicting for me.

Julie which was the time and day we had for the other or Debbie you remember? It was Tuesday?

Julie Hedlund: Yes, you know, I don't remember and I should Olga. This is Julie.

Debra Hughes: I thought it was - yes, I was going to say either it was Tuesday or was it Fridays? Why do I remember like the end of the week?

Olga Cavalli: Friday, Friday.

Julie Hedlund: I think it was Fridays.

Olga Cavalli: Fridays. I always finish saying have a good - have a nice...

Julie Hedlund: Yes I remember that.

Olga Cavalli: ...weekend. Yes it was Friday.

Debra Hughes: I think it was...

Olga Cavalli: Okay Julie would you help me with a Doodle and perhaps we can exchange some. For me any day in the morning is fine but not Wednesdays. It's the day that I teach so...

Julie Hedlund: We...

Olga Cavalli: ...other than Wednesday it's fine.

Julie Hedlund: Olga this is Julie. If I would suggest perhaps since we have several people on this call then we could check with others who are not on the called just out of curiosity are Fridays good days for people perhaps in the morning?

Olga Cavalli: (Roy) Friday is fine for you?

(Roy Dykes): Yes generally it is yes. Yes it is.

Olga Cavalli: In your morning?

(Roy Dykes): Yes my morning, that's fine.

Olga Cavalli: Debbie?

Debra Hughes: Friday mornings are actually really good for me.

Olga Cavalli: Carlos?

Carlos Aguirre: Excellent for me.

Olga Cavalli: And for me as well so...

Julie Hedlund: Can I ask maybe that maybe we could make it - could I ask to make it at 9:00 because I have a recurring meeting at 10:00 in the morning on Fridays?

Olga Cavalli: Nine your time should be like 10:00 mine?

Julie Hedlund: I think you're just...

Olga Cavalli: You are a four hours behind UTC?

Gisella Gruber-White: Sorry Gisella here.

Olga Cavalli: Yes?

Gisella Gruber-White: Quick question, were you saying 10 o'clock your time Olga?

Olga Cavalli: That's what I'm asking to Julie if for her it's 9:00 for me it's 10:00?

Gisella Gruber-White: Sorry that is conflicting for Carlos on one of his working groups which is the JAS working group...

Carlos Aguirre: Yes but that is finishing at in very, very...

Woman: Really?

Carlos Aguirre: ...short time.

Julie Hedlund: Okay I'm happy...

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: ...I think actually supposed to be finishing. You're right Carlos. This is Julie.

Olga Cavalli: We're hoping.

Julie Hedlund: Yes we're hoping. Well I would either - the times I could accommodate on Fridays I could either do 9:00 or 11:00 East Coast Time. That would be Gisella help me, UTC that would be...

Gisella Gruber-White: If you just bear with me for one second, just bear with me for one second. You - you're on Eastern Time Julie. Nine o'clock is 1311 (Iris) and 11:00 o'clock Julie's time which is 10:00 o'clock one (Iris) is 1500 UTC.

Would that work for everyone 1500 UTC 12 - sorry 1500 UTC is 12 o'clock, 1:00 is (Iris) and an 11 o'clock Eastern Time?

Olga Cavalli: I prefer earlier but if it's okay later that's fine. That's okay with me.

Gisella Gruber-White: We can do...

Julie Hedlund: The alternate time would be...

Gisella Gruber-White: Not hearing other people 1300 UTC, sorry I'm just giving the...

Julie Hedlund: Yes.

Gisella Gruber-White: ...two time zones that I've heard. 1300 UTC is 10 o'clock, 1:00 is (Iris) and 9 o'clock Eastern Time. Would that work?

Debra Hughes: Nine o'clock Eastern is actually better for me. I'm sorry this is Debbie. But I could do the 11 o'clock also.

Olga Cavalli: So and 9:00 Eastern Time is better for me as well but Carlos has a conflicting meeting.

Woman: Yes.

Debra Hughes: So let's just do - I mean I'm fine with 11:00 if everybody else is.

(Roy Dykes): This is (Roy). I'm okay either way.

Olga Cavalli: Yes me too. Carlos which is best for you? Are you willing to skipped JAS or you want to do both on Friday. It's your choice because we are okay with...

Carlos Aguirre: No...

Olga Cavalli: For me it's better earlier.

((Crosstalk))

Carlos Aguirre: Yes for me too. I prefer to participate in this work team because JAS is finishing in short time.

So I agree with the 10 o'clock in the morning is fine for me.

Olga Cavalli: It should be 9:00.

Gisella Gruber-White: Okay 1300 UTC. What I'll do is if you would like to for the two people who are not on the call today...

Olga Cavalli: No sorry Gisella it's not 1300 UTC it's...

Gisella Gruber-White: Thirteen hundred. 10 o'clock 1:00 is (Iris) 9 o'clock Eastern Time.

Olga Cavalli: Okay perfect. No, no I'm all - sorry I was confused. You're okay. Sorry.

Gisella Gruber-White: But do you want me just to offer that time because we already got the majority of people of this - on the work group?

Olga Cavalli: I suggest that when we - when you do the comments or the minutes of this meeting we say that we are meeting that day and time and if...

Gisella Gruber-White: Okay.

Olga Cavalli: ...someone has a big, big, big conflicting issue that's good, just let us know.

Gisella Gruber-White: Perfect.

Julie Hedlund: Yes this is Julie. I'll send some notes out today, just brief notes on our discussion Olga. And I will send out that as the time that we had agreed upon.

And then when Gisella sends the reminder for next week's meeting she can use that time...

If it turns out...

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: ...that we have conflicts from the others maybe we can adjust. But I think since we have the majority here perhaps that will work out.

Olga Cavalli: Great thank you very much Julie. And Gisella thank you for agreeing in one day and time.

Other question, should we have a vice chair or an alternate chair in the case that I am not here?

Silence. What silence means yes, yes, yes no, no, no?

Debra Hughes: Olga this is Debbie. I'm happy to be your alternate chair.

Olga Cavalli: Fantastic thank you. I'm just I'm usually available but sometimes, you know, it happened to me once that I was in an airport with no Internet connection

stuck waiting for a plane and I missed the call. And luckily by the time it was (Michael Young) the vice chair and he chaired the meeting.

So and sometimes I cannot do it and perhaps we can agree that you can chair. So thank you very much Debbie.

Carlos and (Roy) are you okay the Debbie is the vice chair or alternate chair?

(Roy Dykes): Yes I'm fine.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you (Roy). And Carlos?

Carlos Aguirre: Yes okay.

Olga Cavalli: Fantastic. Great, so we have our group. We have chair, vice chair, we have time of day so we have to work now, no excuses.

Okay guys I suggest that we go through the working group charter template and we fill in the blanks with the ideas and concepts that we have from our original document with recommendations. Is that a good suggestion?

I'll take the silence as a yes. And...

(Roy Dykes): Yes.

Olga Cavalli: ...okay. The guidance quite nicely explain and it goes step by step through all the parts that a charter should have, a good charter should have.

So I would start if I can - I cannot move the document.

Woman: Oh I will move the document. Where would you like...

Olga Cavalli: Thank you.

Woman: ...it Olga?

Olga Cavalli: So first it says the section of the charter should identify the name of the working group and any sponsoring motion as well as links, pointers that establishes the charter if applicable.

Drafters are also encouraged to identify which version of this guidance was - guidelines was referenced in preparing the charter document.

Specific elements that might be included in this sections are name of the working group, name of appointed liaison, name of advisors and name of the working group chair, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, URL links to other ICANN documents, have a link to other ICANN documents, initiatives and links to documents.

Okay I think here we should have our name which is which is the name of our working team. Let me check with the document?

Julie Hedlund: The outreach GNSO task force I think.

Olga Cavalli: Great. Julie could - you (lost). You do this part of the document with the links and would that be okay for you?

Julie Hedlund: Yes and Olga I would suggest that yes any of the - this is Julie. Any of the sort of perfunctory parts of the charter...

Olga Cavalli: I cannot - I almost cannot hear you.

Julie Hedlund: I'm sorry, so this is Julie. I would suggest that any of the - these parts of the charter where we can just fill in basic information I'll be happy to do that.

I think probably the more important areas for this and for the team members discuss are that the mission purpose and deliverables starting with Section 6.2.2.

There I think probably this team will need to refer to the recommendations document and, you know, and try to fill in mission and scope and so on and objectives and deliverables and whatnot from using those recommendations as a base.

Olga Cavalli: Those that we develop in our working team...

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: Well as a guideline. For example and I don't mean to spend too, you know, take too much time myself talking about this.

But if I go to the recommendations document for instance and if I go to let's see here, so they go past background and recommendations.

And then if we go into the recommendations it talks about what the goals for the OTR should be the starting point.

But then if you get to I think what we particularly could look at to use perhaps to fill in the charter would be Section 2.1.1 of the recommendations which talks about the purpose, mission, principles and initial objective. Some of those I think possibly could be brought directly into the charter out of this document or at least used as a guide to start building the charter. But I'd leave that to you Olga, to decide.

Olga Cavalli: Yes Avri, So how - I'm figuring out how can we move forward because I don't want to go and read all the documents because it would take forever and it would be extremely boring.

If you're okay with this idea please let me know. Perhaps Julie and I could put these parts and fill in the blanks in the template and we could exchange some ideas now about some important issues about for example, who can participate in our group, if it's only for GNSO community, if it could be opened to others.

If I am saying something which is not possible please Julie and Gisella, let me know (unintelligible).

Avri Doria: Carlos has raised his hand.

Olga Cavalli: Yes Carlos, go ahead.

Carlos Aguirre: Sorry Olga. I read the whole document. I saw that in this point 2.1.1 only mentions at the end of this point that the initial objective of the OTF.

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Carlos Aguirre: But in the point 2.1 of the same document, before this, there are the main recommendations for the outreach text (prose). You can see?

Olga Cavalli: No.

Carlos Aguirre: No. 2.1. Yes it is.

Olga Cavalli: 2.1, yes.

Carlos Aguirre: Yes. On Page 3.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Carlos Aguirre: Page 3, yes they are.

Olga Cavalli: Which paragraph?

Carlos Aguirre: All paragraphs. The second paragraphs starts the OTF should develop an outreach strategy, the OTF should develop their community and the following.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Yes, I agree. That's what I was saying that if Julie and I can fill in the blanks in the template using this part of the document as a general objective of the group, one thing that concerns me a little bit is if this charter would allow only GNSO community members to participate or it could be that we can have other people participating.

And I am not sure if I'm going into this discussion that we had in the GNSO about working groups that covers different parts of I think the community. I am not sure if I am going into that problematic area. But I personally think that for this outreach a more open and diverse perspective could be better. But I'm not sure if I'm on the right page or not. If someone could enlighten me a little bit, perhaps Julie or Gisella?

Julie Hedlund: Yes. Olga, I moved to Section 2.1.2 of the recommendations, which has some recommendations on the membership of the outreach task force. It odes recommend that it should be broad and diverse including experiences from the ICANN GNSO stakeholder group constituency and other interested in ICANN activities.

And so just looking through this section, it seems to be fairly broad. So I think this is an area where the charter drafting team has some leeway to further identify the specific members representing various groups. And I do know that there is currently a sensitivity within the GNSO council to the creation of cross community working groups.

Olga Cavalli: Yes. That's what I was referring to.

Julie Hedlund: Yes, that have chairs from you know, or participants from GNSO and (unintelligible) - and others. And yet this is an outreach group so I mean I leave it to you the team to think about that I mean because while the focus is on encouraging GNSO participation, it may be that it's quite useful to have people outside the GNSO to be on the task force.

So I don't know that we necessarily should feel that we can't consider a broader and diverse participation membership since that is something that is mentioned in the recommendations here.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you very much Julie. Yes. I think that in the document we have comments about that and we talk about a small task force with the help of a broader group of people that not only necessarily belongs to GNSO specifically but belongs to the community and also from different parts of the world community.

And I think that we should keep that spirit in the document. Once we finish the charter it goes through the GNSO revision, right?

Julie Hedlund: Yes it does. This is Julie. The charter will have to be approved by the GNSO.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Then if there is some objection we can review it. Okay. So are we okay in having the broader perspective in the participation?

Avri Doria: Olga, I think someone else is trying to speak. Who is that?

(Roy Dykes): This is (Roy). Sorry. I'm not sure if I missed it somewhere in the document but do we have a timeframe for having the charter completed?

Olga Cavalli: That was my next point.

(Roy Dykes): Okay.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you for bringing this up. Just for finishing the previous idea so let's keep a broader perspective and try to draft things in a new document. I will work with Julie on that.

And perhaps we can review it during the week and if we like it we can keep it like that and then see the reaction from GNSO or we can review it among us first. (Roy) brought a very important point. Do we have a timeframe? Well, we should agree on that. I don't recall if the document talks about timing.

Debra Hughes: Olga, hi, this is Debbie.

Olga Cavalli: I'm sorry. Yes Debra, go ahead.

Debra Hughes: I recall a section - here its, a membership about the initial time period for the task force. But I don't recall and maybe Julie can help us - I don't recall any specific timeframe that was dictated by the board for the creation of this effort. Am I accurate Julie?

Julie Hedlund: Yes. This is Julie. No, the council in directing the sort of creation of the - there was a resolution to create a charter drafting team. And there wasn't a timeframe set in that resolution.

Just a couple of perhaps helpful deadlines to be aware of, the next GNSO council meeting is tomorrow but there is no council meeting in August. The following council meeting will be in September on September 8th. And perhaps this team might consider whether or not they want to have a charter draft ready for the council to consider or at least for discussion if not for a motion of approval.

That discussion can perhaps happen at the September meeting, which would suggest perhaps that we might take a month or so to draft this charter and get it approved within this team. That would give us a time to get it out at least I'd say a week or so before the GNSO council's meeting in September.

And the other milestone that we can think about is that we could decide whether or not we want to have a public comment period on this charter before it goes to the council.

And that is certainly an option for this group as well. We can do it either way. We can tee it up for the council and have the council consider it first as a draft or we could produce a draft charter, send it out for public comment. If we took 30 days for that then it would probably be ready for the council to consider in October.

Perhaps the goal of having it completely approved and ready to start recruiting members of the task force no later than the ICANN meeting at the end of October. So there are just some thoughts of possible (thoughts) and steps to consider.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you Julie. I hear you very, very low so but I think I got everything and thank you for the timeline revision. I think we can work on a one-month timeframe. Do you think that's a good idea?

I think that we can think about next week that I may have some conflicts on Friday because I'm traveling that day. But perhaps we can work on the list with documents and do some corrections and some changes in the draft document that Julie and I can prepare. I don't see really very conflicting issues in preparing a draft charter in one month.

So perhaps we can think about today is the 20th of July. By the end of August I mean 20-20-something of August having a first agreed draft, I think that could be possible. Do you think that is feasible?

Debra Hughes: Olga, this is Debbie. I think it is as well. I think it would be great. I'm waving back and forth about the public comment period. Julie, thank you for bringing that up. I guess the benefit to doing it before we take it to the council is that

we can say we've got community or we sought community input before we brought it to the council.

However, I guess I'm more thinking about being able to really start actively recruiting and get into this activity at the meeting in Dakar and hoping that we have everything approved so that we can actually do some good work face to face at that ICANN meeting. So I'm struggling with those two things. And I see benefits both ways.

I guess what would be really helpful for me to hear from (Roy) and from Carlos although I kind of already know where you stand on a lot of the points in the document, it seems like we spend a lot of time with the details and I can easily see taking a document that we created and dumping the outcomes and recommendations we have into a draft charter.

I guess it would be more helpful for me to hear from (Roy) and Carlos if there were any touch points that you had about some of the recommendations as far as deliverables and outcomes and the role of the group and the scope because I think that would kind of dictate how long we think it's going to you know, take for this group to come up with a charter that we're comfortable with.

Olga Cavalli: Great point. Thank you Debbie.

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. Debbie, since you mentioned it, I should note that there isn't any requirement that a charter should go out for public comment and in fact, those that I have worked on for some of the teams that I've been involved in have gone directly to their various organizations for approval without going out for public comment.

And I think that you're right, one value of that is that we can move more quickly to council approval and also because if we use a lot of the information that is in these recommendations, which as you'll recall did go out for public

comment and did have a fairly extensive review in the GNSO, then it's not clear to me that it's necessarily useful to send what would be largely similar information out for public comment in the charter.

So you know, we could conceivably save time, have a charter done say by mid to late August ready for the council to begin to consider in September and then perhaps be approved so that recruiting could begin in October.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you Julie. Yes but public comment - I don't recall drafts or charters going for public comments. But Carlos, (Roy), any comments?

Carlos Aguirre: No comments. It's good for me. It's right what Julie said for me.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. (Roy)?

Julie Hedlund: I think I heard (Roy).

(Roy Dykes): Yes. Just maybe it's my lack of experience in groups like this. How detailed typically are the charters? For example, if I look on Page 4 under 2.1.1 in the about 2/3 of the way down the page where it says the OTF should operate according to the following principles.

If you look at Point 3 where it says there are communities that are not well represented in the GNSO and outreach efforts to target these communities - as an example, would the charter need to list what those communities are? And if so, how do we identify them in the next five weeks?

Debra Hughes: This is - I'm sorry Olga. Go ahead.

Olga Cavalli: No. Go ahead Debbie.

Debra Hughes: Okay. So great question and I think we kind of touched on that. I don't know how detailed the charter should be. Out of full disclosure, this is the first

charter drafting team that I've been on although I've been on other working groups (Roy).

But the good news is that Section 2.1.3 we tried to identify some of those target populations. So I'm going to defer to Julie about how detailed the actual charter and guidance that we're going to give that this group needs to be. But I think the good news is that from the perspective of a charter and giving marching orders for the development of this work, I think we've got a good starting place in at least 2.1.3.

The group spent a little bit of time identifying the under represented you know, areas and even some suggestions on how to find new members to get involved in the ICANN community. So Julie, I don't know if you have something to help us out here?

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie and that's actually - Debbie, thank you very much. That's exactly the section I would have pointed to as well. I think that's the starting point and I should note also that one of the first tasks for the OTF is to do a survey.

And that survey to a certain extent will provide data on areas where the various constituencies and communities feel that they are under represented. So to a certain extent the initial task of the OTF is sort of a fact finding mission to see where there are gaps and where/what should be the target audiences.

But I think that we can put some of this information into the charter to begin with and also some of the tasks that are laid out there for the OTF that would fall into the deliverables section. And (Roy), to your question, typically and this is part of the reason for these guidelines being developed for the charter. Typically - I should say there were problems in the past I think with some groups where charters were perhaps too broad or not detailed enough.

And so then it was you know, there wasn't a lot of clarity sometimes with what was the scope of the work and so on. And the point of having these guidelines is I think to have charters now be (just because) they can be that the work is scoped very clearly so that the workgroup knows what they're doing and what they're not doing.

And so I think as much detail as we can put into the charter as far as the work of the group is going to make it more likely to be approved first time and I'm not saying that that would necessarily happen. But that's the kind of thing I think that the council would be looking for is more detail and more specificity.

(Roy Dykes): Okay. Thank you.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you Julie, thank you Debbie. Okay.

Julie Hedlund: Olga, this is Julie again. If I might - and I don't mean to be talking so much but I have a suggestion that perhaps what I could do with you is say by this Friday have a document for you to look at and maybe that we could send out early next week for the charter drafting team to begin to consider for discussion at our next meeting. And that could be a way, a next step to sort of kick start the process.

Olga Cavalli: Yes. Thank you Julie. That's exactly what I was going to propose and I think I just mentioned it a while ago. We can prepare a first draft, very draft for the group's mission.

And one thing that I would like to have in mind is that how do we make decisions in the group. We have to agree on that. It does seem to be a not very important thing but sometimes it becomes relevant when the group has to make decisions and not everyone is on the same page and there are diverse opinions.

And then the group has to deliver something so that also has to be included and I think in the guidelines there are some if I'm not mistaken - there is some text for that. If we vote, if we do rough consensus, if we do full consensus and all that, that is important because we have experienced on some working teams that have had difficulties in having a final decision.

And it takes forever because then you have to decide based on what, full consensus, rough consensus or vote or majority or that. That is important. I don't know if we can perhaps take some ideas from other working teams. I think that the way that we did it in the previous working team where we prepared this document was okay with rough consensus and all that.

Perhaps we can suggest that to the group Julie and show it to the rest of the people and say if they like it or not. And what else about general guidelines? The timeframe we already talked about and we can say something in the draft that we prepare, the membership, the roles of the chair, the vice chair - that is a good idea as well.

We have (ideas for someone)? That is a question. And also it could be good if you all start sending us the statement of interest. Are we going to have this information in a wiki Julie? Or how are we going to work?

Julie Hedlund: No. Olga, this is Julie. Since this is just a drafting team, drafting teams haven't had a wiki just for interest.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Yes. You're right, too much.

Julie Hedlund: That will of course be an important element in the charter for the OTF.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. And I think that we have a plan for now. Julie and I will work on a document that we will circulate among you. And we will put some dates too for you to send your revisions.

I may have problems in I'm traveling this Friday and the next Friday. Only just for now because it's something that I already had planned.

Julie Hedlund: (Unintelligible) - yes. Maybe I can suggest - this is Julie - that we get since there will be a lot of information for people to be reading and looking at once we get this first draft charter out.

Perhaps we could skip the meeting next Friday and start out the first meeting on the 5th. I guess that would be the 5th of August. So we'd be skipping the 29th and having our first meeting on the 5th.

Olga Cavalli: That for me would be okay but if Debbie wants to chair the meeting I'm okay with that as well.

Debra Hughes: Hi. This is Debbie. I'm happy to chair the meeting but I think maybe it makes sense for us to do some work.

((Crosstalk))

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: Carlos, (Roy), do you think that skipping next Friday is fine? But you have to do homework. You have to do the homework.

(Roy Dykes): Yes, that's fine. Sure.

Carlos Aguirre: It's okay for me.

Olga Cavalli: That's a joke. It's not a joke. Really we have to do the homework. Okay. So we agree on skipping not this Friday but next Friday. And we meet the first week of August at the time that we have agreed.

Julie and I will be working on the draft document that we will circulate and your reading and comments will be much welcome. We hope to have participation from other members of the group and that's all from my side. Any comments? Okay guys and girls, thank you very much. Thank you Julie. Thank you Gisella for making the call and making all the emails and sending documents.

And thank you Carlos, thank you (Roy) and thank you Debbie. Have a nice rest of the day.

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. Just to confirm one more time so the next call will be not until the 5th of August, correct?

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: Great.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you. Thank you for pointing that out and thank you very much for being here.

((Crosstalk))

Coordinator: Thank you for participating in today's conference call. At this time you may disconnect.

END