

**SO/AC New gTLD Applicant Support Working Group (JAS)
TRANSCRIPTION
Tuesday 06 July 2010 at 1300 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the SO/AC new gTLD Applicant Support Working Group (JAS) 06 July 2010 at 13:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ias-20100706.mp3>

On page:

<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#jul>

(transcripts and recordings are found on the calendar page)

Participants on the Call:

ALAC

Evan Leibovitch – Co-Chair
Sebastien Bachollet - ALAC
Tijani Ben Jemaa - AFRALO - At large
Carlos Aguirre - At Large

GNSO

Avri Doria - NCSG
Alex Gakuru - NCSG
Rafik Dammak - NCSG - Council liaison

Andrew Mack - CBUC
Tony Harris – ISP
Elaine Pruis - Mindsandmachines
Richard Tindal – Individual

ICANN staff

Olof Nordling
Gisella Gruber-White
Glen de Saint Gery

Apologies:

Cheryl Langdon-Or - ALAC chair
Baudoin Schombe

Coordinator: I'd like to remind all participants today's conference is being recorded. If you have any objections you may disconnect at this time. You may begin.

Avri Doria: Okay, thank you. Evan, did you want to take the first half of the meeting or the second half or how you want to play it?

Evan Leibovitch: I admit - I'll tell you what I'll take the second half.

Avri Doria: Okay. Gisella, can you do a roll call for us?

Gisella Gruber-White: Absolutely. Good morning, good afternoon to everyone on today's JAS call on Tuesday the 6 of July. We have Avri Doria, Evan Leibovitch, (Carlos Aguirre, Sebastien Bachollet, Alex Gakuru, Andrew Mack, Tijani Ben Jema).

From staff we have (Olof Nordling), myself, Gisella Gruber-White, (Richard Tindle) has just joined. We are dialing out to Rafik Dammak as well, Tony Harris will be joining in ten minutes. And for today's call we apologies from (Cheryl Langdon-Orr) and Baudoin Schombe, I hope I haven't left anyone off the list.

And I could please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you over to you, Avri.

Avri Doria: Okay, thank you. So the next thing we have is agenda adoption, it's slightly different from our previous agenda. The first thing is the follow up from Brussels meeting where we have the statement of Afri ICANN and AFRALO to basically start talking about and decide how we want to process. And then we need to talk about other comments.

I understand that (Olaf) has extracted the comments from the transcript and has also put them on our Web site. And then other - there may be other comments coming in as well.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Sorry, can you speak up because I can't hear very well.

Avri Doria: Okay, very sorry.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Gisella, but not you.

Avri Doria: Very sorry, I'll try to speak up. I thought I was already speaking rather loudly. So basically as I said, the first part was follow up from the Brussels meeting. The Afri-ICANN and AFRALO statement, any other comments we've gotten. I understand (Olaf) has put an excerpt from the transcript containing those comments on our Wiki page.

Then we go to planning of further work to reach the final report. And then any other business. Does anyone have any other business to add to the list at this point? Okay, hearing none, I'll move on.

One of the things before go into this follow up from the Brussels meeting, one of the things I needed to check and we'll have to come back for a schedule later is I was checking before the meeting and didn't find it, is the initial statements that we've put up, a so-called snapshot under any sort of timed review at the moment. (Olaf), do you have an answer on that one?

(Olof Nordling): Yes well it is open for public comments until the 21 of July.

Avri Doria: So the 21st, okay.

(Olof Nordling): So essentially another two weeks.

Avri Doria: Right, okay.

(Olof Nordling): And that's the only timeline that's up there. So of course following that, there will be a summary of the public comments. For the time being, there's only one, I can tell you more about it if you like.

Avri Doria: That's great.

(Olof Nordling): They're still a fort night to go before we close.

Avri Doria: Right. Okay, so we already have while it is not a direct response to our statement, I think we have the Afri-ICANN AFRALO statement, which we certainly should look at point by point and deal with.

And then we have the other comments that came in. And at this point I'd actually like to add one comment that I got privately, which was from I guess (Chuck) had been standing in line to make a comment but then the line was basically instructed not for comments just for questions.

So he sat back down but he came to me afterwards and said, you know, I really wanted to comment that I thought this was an excellent start and a really good approach to the issues. So I wanted to pass, you know, that one particular comment on before we started.

So how do people suggest we go about dealing with the comments in general but the Afri-ICANN AFRALO statement? One of the things that we've done in other groups I've been in is looked at each comment in respect to the piece of the report that they were commenting on and then decide did we need to change anything, did we not and if not, why not.

And so that's certainly an approach that I would recommend us following and actually having a report, an auxiliary report at the end that went along with our report that sort of discussed how we handled each of the issues.

One question I have is do we want to take initial approaches in the separate work teams that we have? Do we want to function as one ongoing group as we're doing this?

I sort of wanted to open that as an initial topic to people, don't see any hands yet, does anybody have a comment on the approach that we now follow on

these? Or should we just start talking about the statements? Yes, (Andrew), thank you for your hand.

(Andrew Mack): Sure, thanks, Avri. I'm sorry, my machine's running a little slow. You know, speaking from our workgroup I think having a smaller team that can get together a little bit more easily has been helpful if there's something specific that, you know, if it falls neatly into one of our two categories.

I think that there's some value in keeping our two little work teams together. But obviously the last - the final bit has to be from everyone.

Avri Doria: Okay, thank you. So one possible approach is that the little teams would - not the little teams, the work teams would basically do walk throughs of all the comments and come up with a first suggestion of how the larger workgroup would respond, make recommended changes where they thought it was necessary and start drafting the answers. Is that the kind of approach you'd be suggesting?

(Andrew Mack): That was thrown out to me?

Avri Doria: Well since you suggested working in the teams, is - would that be a suitable approach do you think?

(Andrew Mack): Yes I mean I think we can use these calls to effectively divvy up tasks, right. And then it - depending on how much work is really left to say - to go back and say okay fine within in these two pieces, you know, here is an issue that falls maybe within working Team 1, here's one that falls maybe within working Team 2.

And then go back and come back to us with a response within the week, that's the way that we've worked this in the past. I think it's been successful. But for the final drafting, I really think it - we probably have to all come together, that's all.

Avri Doria: Okay, thanks. Any other comments on that that seems a way to go unless someone has a different viewpoint. Okay, then why don't we then move to starting with the Afri-ICANN and is there a proper way of pronouncing that? Is it Afri-ICANN? Is it Afri-ICANN? Is it...

Tijani Ben Jemaa: No, it's actually ICANN and AFRALO.

Avri Doria: Okay, great.

Man: And - okay.

Avri Doria: Thank you, so perhaps we should that one up first in the screen. Are you driving, Olof?

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): What are you proposing, Avri, I didn't - I didn't hear you.

Avri Doria: Posing at the moment is that (Olaf), if he's the one that's driving put the Afri-ICANN AFRALO statement up and that we quickly walk through it, divvying up who it - make sure that we understand it, maybe someone who was part of that meeting can add comments.

And then look at which part of the - whether it's something we're already covering and they're supporting because as I read through the statement, I thought a lot of the time yes they're supporting what we put out or yes here's where we need to do some more work, et cetera.

So basically walk though it quickly, divvying up the work as (Andrew) suggested. In other words, Paragraph 1 and I don't have it in front of me at the moment but Paragraph 1, okay that's Work Team 1 is going to take that and look at it further.

(Olof Nordling): Avri?

Avri Doria: Yes.

(Olof Nordling): I don't have it really ready for plugging up, I need to do a few things.

Avri Doria: Okay, so could people go to the Wiki to look at it?

(Olof Nordling): But it will be there very, very shortly.

Avri Doria: Okay. And in the meantime, I'll pull it up on the Wiki and we can start working through. So anyone else that has the Wiki can look at it. Okay.

Tony Harris: Hello.

Avri Doria: Hello.

Tony Harris: This is Tony Harris, I just joined. I'm sorry to be late. Are we talking about the document that (Tijany) sent?

Avri Doria: Yes - well we're talking about the Afri-ICANN AFRALO statement if that's the document that (Tijany) sent, then yes.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): That's it, yes that's it yes, that's it.

Tony Harris: Fine, I'll pull it up then. Thanks a lot.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): I'm sorry I don't have Internet here, so I can't follow with you on the screen.

Avri Doria: Yes, okay. So no it's not in the - while (Olaf) is working at bringing it into the screen for meeting after the face to face meeting, we...

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Okay.

Avri Doria: ...not prepped as much as perhaps we should have. I certainly didn't.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Okay. Avri...

Avri Doria: Basically - so but people can bring it up themselves from the Wiki.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Okay.

Avri Doria: And we basically have the support for new gTLD applicants, statement of the Afri-ICANN community.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Avri, but I have - in the meantime when - while (Olaf) is preparing this text, I would like to know what is your statement of the questions asked during our session of Wednesday in Brussels.

Avri Doria: Yes, that's what we had on the agenda for second.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): For second, okay, excuse me, I don't have - I don't have legend that's why. I am sorry.

Avri Doria: Right, there's a second thing on the agenda was the add a comment...

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): I'm sorry, okay.

Avri Doria: ...which (Olaf) also did put an extract of on the Wiki.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Okay.

Avri Doria: And those we also have to work through.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Okay.

Avri Doria: And these are the things that we can work through during the next two weeks while we're waiting for the comments from the open comment period.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Okay.

Avri Doria: So in terms of walking through the AFRALO or Afri-ICANN community note and just looking at the bullets, the first one was expressing gratitude to the board. I don't think there's anything we need to do about that one.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): No.

Avri Doria: Then the second one was strongly believe that entrepreneur applicants from African countries where the market is not wide enough for reasonable profit making industry are eligible for support.

I think that that one is perhaps language clarification on our report, where we felt we were saying we are not restricting it to just nonprofit but the way we said it, I think people read it differently.

Okay now it is up on the screen, so anybody that didn't have their own copy can view it. Thank you very much, (Olaf) for doing that last minute.

(Olof Nordling): Sorry for the delay and sorry for the layout, it's not in the best of shape.

Avri Doria: It still works.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): May I suggest that (Olaf) to read the text because I don't hear very well, Avri. So I perhaps miss things if she read it.

Avri Doria: Okay I'm speaking as loud as I can into a microphone, so sorry.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): It's - I - you...

Avri Doria: I'm actually shouting in my room.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): ...I know, I know. I know but your line is always like this for me. It's perhaps my line, I don't know. But I hear you very, very weak, very low.

Tony Harris: Yes, I have the same problem, Avri. I can barely hear you.

Avri Doria: It's funny, I don't really understand...

Man: The same goes to me , I can't hear you.

Avri Doria: ...since I'm using a microphone and...

Man: I can hear you now but you're coming through strong now.

Avri Doria: ...right, okay, I think I just need to buy a new microphone when I get money. Okay so as I said, I read through the second one that entrepreneur applicants. I believe that that's just an issue for Work Team 2 to clarify language. Do others agree?

Tony Harris: Yes as I recall it was limited to ethnic and linguistic communities. And I agree with (Tijany) actually with this document. I think it should be a little wider.

Avri Doria: Wasn't this one though an issue of NGO versus or nonprofit versus entrepreneur? And I thought we had already left it open for both nonprofit and entrepreneur. Or do I misunderstand what this statement is about?

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Can I explain?

Avri Doria: Please.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Yes when we speak about entrepreneurs, it's for-profit, it's not for the nonprofit.

Avri Doria: Yes.

Tony Harris: Right.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): And when we speak about NGOs, organization, et cetera, it's for nonprofit. So we didn't limit it to - for nonprofit.

Avri Doria: Right.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): You understand, okay.

Avri Doria: Yes I do.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Okay.

Avri Doria: Okay, (Andrew), I see you have your hand up.

(Andrew Mack): Yes where - if I'm understanding this correctly, we're talking about two different things, okay. One question is whether or not - one question is with whom would we be recommending that ICANN start its support program. And the second question is to whom it is - who would be eligible for said support, okay?

Now the - we recommended that they start with ethnic and linguistic communities because we thought that that would be less controversial, it would help us get started and also because we recognize that there was need in those communities.

The - then the question came up as to whether or not it was only NGOs that we would be willing to support and everyone agrees that we would do well to keep it open because in part because what it means to be an NGO in

different jurisdictions means different things and also because organizations change over the course of time.

And that for example in the case of a Dot Zulu or a dot (housa), an organization might start as a nonprofit and then find that it had enough traction to turn itself into a very nice, growing, self supporting activity as a for-profit. And we wanted to make sure that we were open to that. So I think that we need to do a little bit of wordsmithing to make sure that both of those points come across clearly.

The point - the idea was not to keep us from supporting for-profits at any point in time but I think everyone agrees that given we'd have a limited amount of - given that we have a steep learning curve, that we have a limited - we will likely have a limited amount of slots to work with - in these first instance that we would start with these ethnic and linguistic communities, which would be less controversial, that's all.

Avri Doria: Okay, thank you, (Andrew). I have both (Elaine) and (Carlos) with their hands up and I have no idea which one went up first.

(Rafik Dammak): Avri?

Avri Doria: Yes.

(Rafik Dammak): It's (Rathnik), I can talk after later, so.

Avri Doria: Okay, so I'm glad you're on the line. So you want to be added to the queue. Okay, I'll go alphabetical since no one can tell me which one went up first. (Elaine). Sorry, I went reverse - sorry.

(Elaine): (Carlos), are you okay if I go first?

(Carlos Agreeer): Yes, okay. Thank you.

(Elaine): Yes, so obviously this is a point that not only are we confused on but it seems that the audience, that the panel was also wondering because this question came up specifically from (Steve Deblanko). He asked if brands in different countries would get support for different language versions of their brand.

So I think we can get - really make this very clear. Are we limiting this only to ethnic linguistic communities or is that we realize that that's the obvious place to start because starting and limiting are two very different things, so we need to clarify the language on this one. Thank you.

Avri Doria: Yes, I - okay, thanks. I thought we were pretty clear about not brand but anyhow, okay. (Carlos).

(Andrew Mack) Yes but I also thought we were pretty clear, if I could Avri, I thought we were pretty clear in saying that where we started was not the limit of what we were going to do. I don't think I've ever heard in the course of these different conversations anyone who said that we would only do ethnic and linguistic but rather that we would start there.

(Elaine): It was on the slide.

Avri Doria: Right. And...

(Andrew Mack): Okay.

Avri Doria: And it was fairly clear I thought that we were speaking of the first round and for the first round where we started is where we were staying, that we weren't thinking of for the first round changing anything but perhaps I misunderstood. Okay, (Carlos).

(Carlos Agreer): Thank you, Avri. Talking about the NGO support in the Afri-ICANN statement, when work in this point with (Andrew), we identified that it's necessary to the first round to give support to ethnic and linguistic organizations.

When analyze the NGO situation, we can see the difference between NGOs that need - they need support and the others that no need support. So it's very difficult to identify what NGOs could be - could need support in this case because there are NGOs that have very good economical situation.

So it's more complicated to analyze the situation of NGOs. It's not so clear when we try to hit support we need to analyze this situation, understand?

Avri Doria: Yes, thank you. (Rathnik), you wanted to speak (Rathnik) or did I misunderstand.

(Rafik Dammak): Yes, so first that yes, you can hear me?

Avri Doria: Very well.

(Rafik Dammak): Okay. First about who should receive the support, I think that maybe we can have both nonprofit and profit but I think that we should have kind of a positive combination for nonprofit. It makes sense that because they have more difficulties I think to apply. But we cannot prevent those profit applicants to apply.

And other hand it, maybe it's a little bit early but I think that our recommendation was basic open that to - how to use support, to have the support indirectly from the and usually it's the program. But I think that we can have or we need to see how we can have support from other organization.

For example maybe from ethnic can give more - add more (unintelligible) but I saw that for example for (unintelligible) ICANN can - could make it with

support of award bank. So if we can have more detail. It's a good example of how award bank gives the support I think financial support for (unintelligible) projects. Thank you.

Avri Doria: Okay, thank you. One thing I wanted to mention before going on on the discussion is I think we're going a little deeper into the discussion than I was hoping we would go now based on the recommendation that we were going to parse these things through, figure out which ones perhaps needs some more work and have the work teams take them away and go into depth.

And if we keep going at this level through these things, we won't get very far in this meeting.

Evan Leibovitch: Avri, if I can add something. I'm sorry, I can't for whatever reason Adobe Connect keeps kicking me out, so I'm sort of - I can't put my hand up in it.

You're absolutely right but doesn't this also get to, you know, if we have our two different working teams, we have a working team specifically about who. And isn't this exactly the kind of thing that working teams should be dealing with.

Avri Doria: Yes, exactly. And so I think that basically what I was hoping we would do is do a quick walk through, make sure we understand the comment and make sure that the work team says yes we're taking that one on. Yes, (Andrew).

(Andrew Mack): Okay, so in the interest of moving us forward, I agree with Evan has just said. Working group 2 will take a look at the two issues, the one is about - to try and clarify the language around NGO versus for-profit and around only ethnic and linguistic groups versus ethnic and linguistic groups in the immediate term, okay.

Avri Doria: Okay. Thank you.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): (Tijany).

(Andrew Mack): So then we - let me fast forward through then.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): (Tijany).

Avri Doria: Okay.

Evan Leibovitch: Beyond the media term two is the next round.

(Andrew Mack): Say it again, Evan?

Evan Leibovitch: I would just clarify that beyond in the immediate term two think of this in terms of rounds.

(Andrew Mack): Okay, so in the first round, I'll come up with some language that's for that in the first round. And then in terms of the NGO versus non NGO, we'll come up with some language for that as well to reflect our conversations and the good point that (Carlos) just made, okay.

Avri Doria: Okay. Thank you. I have (Tijany) trying to get a word in and then I have (Olaf). Go ahead, (Tijany).

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Okay, two points, first the point of for-profits, the support for the (unintelligible) for-profit applicants.

Avri Doria: Can we move that to the work team discussions as opposed to discussing it in this meeting?

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Pardon?

Avri Doria: I was trying to keep the substantive discussion less and move that to the work team and such.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Yes, I would like to explain the point of Afri-ICANN and...

Avri Doria: Okay thank you please go ahead.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Okay so if AFRALO and Afri-ICANN put on their statement the entrepreneurs for-profit, it is because the market in Africa is not wide enough to make a real profit.

And if we don't give support to those people, there will not be Africans from Africa and if you want this new - the new program will not profit for the region, that's why we include them. For sure we'll not - we will not ask support for people who are very wealthy, very - enough money.

But for those who really need support and they are applying for a commercial stream, that's one point. Second point, I forget it, okay.

Avri Doria: Okay. We can come back to you. Yes, thank you (Tijany). I think we understand that and I really do believe as (Andrew) has indicated that it's a language clarification thing.

Okay, I've got (Olaf) then (Richard), then (Elaine), (Andrew) your hand is still up, I don't know if that's yet another comment or just a remainder (Olaf).

(Andrew Mack): Sorry, sorry. I can take it down.

Olof Nordling: (Olaf) here, just to mention that very few lines in this document that of course are of certain relevance for Work Team 1 as well. In particular when they come to - through this strong support of some statements regarding the cost reductions that were in the Work Team 1 on a remit so just there's probably worth to read a whole document article Work Team 1.

Avri Doria: Yes, okay, thank you. I guess (Richard), you're next.

(Richard Tindle): Yes I had a quick question to (Tijany). So as I read the document, it seems to be advocating support for both profit and nonprofit in a variety of entities. But my reading of the bullet is that civil society NGO and not for-profit are a higher priority than for-profit entrepreneurs. Is that a correct interpretation?

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Would you please repeat the chart? I didn't understand because you speak a little bit quickly.

(Richard Tindle): Sure, yes. It seems to me the document is advocating support both for for-profit entrepreneurial applicants for the certain type but also civil society NGO and nonprofit applicants.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): That's right.

(Richard Tindle): Yes. As I read the document however, it seems to me that the second category is a higher priority. I'm looking at the, I think it's the fourth bullet and I'll read it it's deem that civil society NGO and nonprofit are the most in need of such support.

So I read that as saying that they are the highest priority of applicants...

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Yes.

(Richard Tindle): ...and I wanted to know if that's correct...

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Yes.

(Richard Tindle): ...(unintelligible).

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): You are correct (Richard). The meaning is that the civil society and NGOs have the highest priority. But we don't have to forget the for-profit applicants

that doesn't have the means to apply or to operate because the market is not wide enough.

Avri Doria: Okay, thank you. I've got (Elaine) and then (Andrew) and then I do want to try to walk through this rest of the document quickly. I will cut this discussion off in about 15 minutes so we have enough time to plan the further work, so wherever we get to, we get to. (Elaine). Your hand just went down. (Andrew).

(Elaine): I'm sorry, I put my hand down and I was on mute. (Tijany), could you please clarify civil society NGOs, entrepreneurs, for-profits, is this limited to ethnic and linguistic communities or are you also talking about more generic capital domain application.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Yes. Our statement is for Africans. So we are talking about the African people, okay.

(Elaine): I'm sorry, what does that mean African people? Like African soccer players, African tribes?

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Yes, yes, yes African entrepreneurs where democracy is not wising up and those who doesn't have the possibilities to apply or to operate the stream and you...

(Elaine): Okay. So you're not really supposed to ethnic and linguistic...

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): It give – yes it gives us an African statement for the African applicants.

(Elaine): Thanks.

Avri Doria: Thank you. So I have (Andrew) and then Alex.

(Andrew Mack): Yes very quickly a couple of things. First of all I understand the - I think I understand the context in which this statement was made.

And an important - I think one of the goals is to lay down a marker to effectively say on behalf of the African community we are to a greater extent this is - in the ICANN world sometimes recognizes a disadvantaged community for a whole host of reasons, some of which are linguistic, some of which are logistical, et cetera, et cetera.

I think that that makes sense and that there's a lot of truth in that statement. That said, I think we will do ourselves a big favor by focusing on the very first round in which we don't need to answer some questions.

And one of the questions that we will not probably need to answer is to what extent - what kind of private sector organizations would be eligible for support?

The truth is that just because a group is from Africa does not mean that it necessarily would qualify for support based on the conversations that we've had so far.

I mean having just been in South Africa there are a number of companies there that are certainly not disadvantaged. And so I think what I would recommend as we're looking at this is we use our first round to gain our bearings to take some learning's out of it. And that's why we started off with the more limited group that we did.

And I think we'll easily fill up the number of slots that will be available just in focusing on ones that aren't quite as controversial and will be able to build our work with the private sector - the African private sector as we go forward. Does that make sense to everyone? (Tijany) does that make sense?

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Put me on the queue, Avri. Yes, yes I understand very well what you said and it's exactly that. I said before that we are talking about people who need support.

I know - we know that there is some in certain cases, but there are very few - there are very - it's not the generic case. That's why you would put it in our statement. We are talking about generic case.

Avri Doria: Okay thank you. Alex still hasn't...

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Put me on the queue please. Put me on the queue.

Avri Doria: Okay, but folks we're not going to get through this if we keep discussing these in detail. Alex, please go ahead.

Alex Gakuru: Yes thanks I will make mine a brief comment. I think when we say ethnic and linguistic - I'm going back to (Elaine's) question. I think that's very limiting because already we're now - or now they're reporting on the who.

Already some people I mentioned are not in ethnic or linguistic. So already we set a grain to say that we are limited to these two categories.

We are limiting what individuals that have expressed interest. So let's leave this open with the innovation and interest - broader interest and then, of course, we will do creative criteria. So let's not limit it to ethnic and linguistic. Thank you.

Avri Doria: Okay, that's a suggestion for Work Team 2 to discuss. I do think we probably need to have some limits. But okay. Now (Tijany) you wanted to be on the queue again.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Yes please. I would like to say that we are talking about the first round only.

Avri Doria: Yes.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): This round only because we don't know if there will be a second one. We don't know if there will be - when it will be open. So please speak only about this round. We don't have to speak about the other rounds because we don't know what will happen.

Avri Doria: Okay, thank you. I want to quickly walk through the others and just make sure that I know which work team is supporting them. So we've already talked a lot about the point about entrepreneur. We've talked a lot about the point of civil society and NGO. We've talked a lot about geographic cultural linguistic and more generally community-based applications.

The point that needs to be discussed by Work Team 2 whether a specific continent should be prioritized over others, understanding that this is an African statement made to say, you know, please prioritize Africa.

Then the next points were believe that support be provided to application including but not limited. I think we need to check against the kinds that we've been suggesting, but I do believe they're endorsing pretty much the list that was put out by the group. But we need to make sure that we've got them covered.

Wrongly support the cost reduction as the key element and propose the following be entertained, which I seem to – at which seems to be the same list that our group is working on.

So when I looked at the rest of the - especially the statement about prioritizing one continent over another, I do see it as pretty much an endorsement of the things we have put forward, but of course, that it needs to be checked to make sure that everything is covered.

Is what I said sort of the way others see it? Would anybody like to add to that? Because I want to make sure that we have some time to look at the other comments as well.

Evan Leibovitch: Avri, this is Evan.

Avri Doria: Yes?

Evan Leibovitch: I think I totally agree with what you're saying. That if we define who qualifies, that if, you know, that we generally define organizations that are, you know, if we do the right job in defining who, then we're going to find out that most of them are going to come not only mostly from Africa, but we're also, you know, going to get other areas that, you know, such as Haiti.

And there's, you know, if you go in the UN list of less developed countries there's quite a few of them outside Africa. I think it would be a bit difficult to prioritize one continent.

Avri Doria: Okay, thank you any other comments? Alex is your hand still up from before or is this a new comment?

Alex Gakuru: Oh, I will put it down. Sorry about that.

Avri Doria: Okay. Thank you.

Alex Gakuru: I will put it down.

Avri Doria: Okay. In which case it's probably good to, you know, have the work teams looked at these, go into detail. We have the other comments basically I'm not sure where - (Olaf) said you'd put those on - you had extracted those comments and put them somewhere? I don't immediately see them.

Olof Nordling: Well, you probably don't see them on the Wiki because I didn't put them there, even though you said that I had.

Avri Doria: Oh, I lied. I'm so sorry.

Olof Nordling: I've included them in a pod on the Adobe Connect in the upper right hand corner.

Avri Doria: Okay. I see them there.

(Olof Nordling): I actually sent it out to the list as well.

Avri Doria: Okay. I'm so sorry.

Olof Nordling: So what this is is basically only extracted the questions and comments from the audience. So this is straight from the transcript, but I have cut out all the comments from the panelists and only taken comments and questions from the audience on board in this.

Avri Doria: Thank you.

Olof Nordling: So it's really not rocket science at all, but perhaps it's useful to have them condensed like that.

Avri Doria: I think it is. I very much appreciate. I apologize for misleading everybody about them being on the Web site. At this point, I suggest that we don't really have time in this meeting to walk though them bit by bit and we should start next meeting walking through them.

But I would suggest that the work teams also take a look at them and decide which ones are endorsements of what we've done, which ones are comments for where we should do something other or further, obviously which ones apply to them and not. Does that make a sense as a way to approach these? Because I don't think we could get through them at this point.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): (Tijany) speaking.

Avri Doria: Okay, yes. (Tijany), go ahead.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): You are talking about the panel after Wednesday.

Avri Doria: Yes.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Okay. May I have a - may I add a comment?

Avri Doria: Please do.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): I admit I was a little bit disappointed because, you know, the comment laid by the attendees wasn't what I was waiting for, what I was expecting. Because they weren't asking about the main topics we are discussing.

They asked questions a little bit as if they are not aware of the whole context scope. So except perhaps one question, which was exactly in our scope, the others I think that they are a little bit - they weren't in our...

Avri Doria: Okay, thank you. I think it's still probably worth walking through them. And if I think - and if the answer the work team comes up with is this is not relevant to our particular context, then we should say so and we should say why.

In other words the comments should probably still all get responded to even if the comment is sorry, you know, don't understand the context. Or sorry, you know, et cetera. Yes, (Elaine)?

(Elaine): Thanks. Just looking through the comments from the panel session I think we need to address the question that was raised by three different people that I've looked at just now is Chuck Gomes and (Steve Wanso) for reference if you want to look through and find those.

And they're in one other, but I haven't found the person yet. They're asking if we've considered suggesting that bundling be added to our proposal and I don't think we have bundling in our proposal.

I think (Andrew) sort of may have mentioned it in the who, but I don't think we have it in the Work Team 1 list of options. So is bundling of applications for, you know, (circles), TLDs in different languages but the same strength basically. So we need to add that and talk about that.

Avri Doria: Okay great thank you (Andrew)?

(Andrew Mack): Yes. (Elaine), it's in our document. It's the third type of support that we've identified. And it was referenced by people both in the panel and actually in the open mic session.

So I think there's a fair amount of support for it as an ongoing principle. And it's really straight forward since it won't cost any, you know, it doesn't come with any budget outlay.

(Elaine): Okay, sorry...

(Andrew Mack): If you take a look at...

(Elaine): I'll look for it.

(Andrew Mack): Yes.

Avri Doria: This may be another case - because one of the impressions I had and then I'm going to pass the chair over to Evan for the planning. One of the impressions I had from a lot of the comments is that they were things that had been included, but perhaps had not been included in words or language that everybody picked up on well enough.

And then in a lot of cases what we have the need to clarify and elucidate somewhat off of our short snapshot and get a little bit worthier in terms of explaining what it is you all had intended.

At this point, I'll pass it off to Evan to quickly go through the planning of further work to reach, the final report and one of the things we probably should look at is the very tight schedule that's ahead of us. Evan, it's yours.

Evan Leibovitch: I'm actually at quite a bit of a disadvantage because I still can't get into Adobe Connect and I've been trying for the entire hour.

Avri Doria: Okay. Do you want me to continue plaguing the meeting with my too low volume?

Evan Leibovitch: Do you have a problem with that Avri? Because I can't see anyone's hands...

Avri Doria: I don't have a problem. I can.

Evan Leibovitch: ...see anything. I don't mind managing the discussions or whatever, but I can't see who has their hands up.

Avri Doria: Okay.

Evan Leibovitch: And meanwhile, (Olaf) and Gisella if there's any way that you can try and help me later on get through my problems with Adobe Connect. Usually I have no problem. Today it's just not letting me in.

Avri Doria: Okay. Well then, let me quickly just talk about the schedule. As (Olaf) mentioned at the beginning, we've got a comment period that ends on I think he said July 21.

(Olof Nordling): That's correct.

Avri Doria: Right. We are in the middle of having weekly conference calls. Our schedule calls out 10 July, which is tomorrow, today? Whenever. Through - no it's 6 July it's a couple days from now through 10 August continuing with our weekly conference calls, continuing as we discussed with our work teams working independently.

And it's basically developing our final recommendation based on the public comments received. So for the first two weeks of this until the 21st, we really need to sort of it looks to me like finish up, you know, in terms of dealing with the African ICANN community statement and the comments received.

We can also look ahead to comments that are being sent in even though the comment period's over the 10th August. The next thing we have is the 13th August our final recommendation is posted. Now that's a very, you know, tight schedule.

We basically have a little over I guess its five weeks to finish. Now I don't think that that's impossible since I haven't seen great deals of, you know, contrary reports, but I wanted to just get other peoples take on it.

Just continue working the way we're working, process each of the comments, answer each of the comments and move on any issues? (Andrew), is your hand up or new? Yes, it is new. Please go ahead.

(Andrew Mack): It is new. Yes a couple of things, Avri. I'd like to get a clearer sense of what our - what you have, you, Evan, every, the community has in their minds in terms of the final form of what we're looking for.

Two reasons why. Number 1 reason why is because I want to - I remember when we were on that very, very long words missing call just before the - just before Brussels and I want to make sure that we give ourselves a little bit less of a rush. You know, what I mean, at the end?

The second thing is is that we can, you know, if - what we can - what we perhaps can do is if we have a clearer sense of what the final document will look like, we can actually divvy this up such that we have -we agree on verbiage of pieces of it that are already done now.

And deal with some of the things that are a little bit tougher toward the end when we really need to focus in on it, you know, what I mean?

Avri Doria: Yes.

(Andrew Mack): I'm concerned about having one very, very long editing session at the very end, which is just very, very impractical for a lot of people.

Avri Doria: It is, but I expect that we will have one or two editing sessions at the end because it can't be avoided. But you're right. We have to do what we can to avoid them by that. That's a good topic to go on, (Elaine)?

(Elaine): Thanks. I just have a couple of questions about the logistics. So we're talking about meeting in teams to mash through what we've got written so far. Is that - are those meetings going to be arranged by (Olaf) or do we do that off line through the mailing list?

And the second question is another also I guess logistics. We've talked about having a foundation where funds would be placed for assisting applicants. I heard - two people came up to me after the panel and said that that's the way they want to support our applicants.

So is this something that we arranged or do we just suggest this to the board and then the staff figures it out? That's all. Thanks.

Avri Doria: Okay. Thanks. In terms of answering your first one, I think that starting the work on the email list if you do want to have calls together, then asking I

guess either Gisella or (Olaf) to try and work out times for those calls would be the way to go with it.

So I think the work teams need to decide how they want to work it and if we need resources like calling times from ICANN we should request them. I think the idea of certainly recommending a foundation is something we want to do or that we certainly want to talk about.

Whether we want to get into proposing a structure for that, I don't see how we would necessarily have the time to do that. But we may want to give some pointers and recommend that that would be a follow on activity.

We could even go with a, you know, requested charter update to the chartering bodies (unintelligible) and NSO saying with the report we would also now like to start on, you know, discussing the structure of a foundation. But I don't see how we could actually structure it in these five weeks. But I think these are things that we should continue talking about, Alex.

Alex Gakuru: Yes, Alex speaking. To start with that point or the last point you have just mentioned, the (world bank) and other organizations and funding agencies have been mentioned separately at the final and even subsequent in our planning. How do we plan to reach out to them in view of the limited time and other agencies (unintelligible)?

Number 2 and still on the same, I also got comments from a registry in Canada that wanted to come and support us. So I do have contacts of the people that also found our work interesting and that want to be part of this.

(Unintelligible) may also strategize on how to reach out to other people who have already expressed interest in partnering with us or throughout all regions of the world.

The second point I want to make is that to boost our openness in what we are doing. There are some people that express interest in joining the work group. We need to send a message to other people who may be interested in our work on how they join us so that they can see how open we are and how we are doing (unintelligible).

Finally on the attendance data we need to somehow do something that publishes our attendances in this meeting. Sometimes I find when we attend open forum members who are on this work team and work groups comment quite a lot, but on the calls they don't - we don't find them as much as we understand their absence.

But I think it is good to just have an idea of how the attendance has been. Those three points thank you.

Avri Doria: Okay thanks. I think that in your comments it sounds like you actually outlined an activity whether it's another work team or what that goes beyond Work Team 1 and Work Team 2, which is sort the follow on further outreach.

This mixes in well with what (Elaine) was talking about a possible foundation. So, you know, we may actually start talking about how we proceed beyond our immediate recommendations and make recommendations for that.

In terms of outreach to new members, I think that that's fine. I think we have to be careful that any new member that comes in is sort of very clear - and this is in our chartering document.

Anyone that comes in has caught up on all the old work, read the email list, listened to the previous recordings before they actually jump in a lot, so that we don't end up in our short five weeks rehashing a lot of what's been done. So, I'd be concerned about that.

I don't want to exclude new participants, but I do want to caution that any new participant has a very steep hill to climb to reach the level the rest of you are at in terms of common understanding, discussions, whatever.

In terms of attendance, most final reports from working groups, at least recently, have included attendance charts and I would expect the same to be included in a final report from this group.

And so I think the final report to get back sort of to (Andrew)'s question and then I see (Olaf) has a hand up, is that part of this report, which is the recommendation comes largely out of us.

But there's a lot of front matter and back matter in this report that would probably be coming out of ICANN staff. I don't know whether that's (Olaf) of someone else. (Olaf), good (unintelligible) you in our last three minutes.

(Olof Nordling): Well, very, very quickly, I think you said most of it Avri because my immediate reaction was that it's obviously so that there may be follow up activities needed.

And I think it's clearly something to consider to put forward suggestions into final document on how such follow up or continued activities should be undertaken.

So, I see a number of such issues which cannot reasonably be resolved by the 13th of August and it may call for a continuation in this or some other - or in some other way. So that was all. Thanks.

Avri Doria: Okay thanks. At this point, I'd like to suggest that we continue these discussions on the list. I'll probably sort of initiate the follow up discussion and start just putting some points down that we can build on. I suggest that those of you that were driving work teams, you know, continue doing so and start going through the comments.

Does anyone else want to add another comment in the last two minutes we've got? In which case, I think we've given everyone who has to go to the next minute one minute to say goodbye and dial the phone for the next one. Thank you very much for the work up to now, being here now and the five weeks that are ahead of us.

(Andrew Mack): Excuse me, one quick question Avri?

Avri Doria: Sure thing.

(Andrew Mack): I asked earlier about what exactly the final form of our document is going - we want it to look like.

Avri Doria: Yes.

(Andrew Mack): And I don't think we got such a clear sense of that. The reason why is because a lot of people...

Avri Doria: I think that'll take more time than this meeting.

(Andrew Mack): Say that again?

Avri Doria: I think deriving that will take more time than this meeting. And that's one of the things that we'll follow up on the list.

(Andrew Mack): I got it. Here's my quick question then okay. Some of things that we did were clearly truncated to try to fit it into the small space that we had available. Just intuitively, does the group think that we're looking for something that is twice as big, substantially longer?

I just - all I'm trying to do is to understand so that when we go into our little work groups we have the - or work teams, we have the ability to, you know, aim at something.

Avri Doria: Yes, as we put the time on that, I think something we should take to the list I would think that you need enough text to explain yourself clearly. So that we don't have the ambiguities we had. I don't know that there's a length limit, a number of words limit, but, you know, I think we take it to the rest of the list in which case...

Man: Okay.

Avri Doria: And I'll even initiate the question. So, thank you. And talk to you again at the next meeting.

Evan Leibovitch: Thank you, Avri.

Avri Doria: Okay. Bye, bye.

(Tijani Ben Jemaa): Thank you, bye, bye.

Man: Bye.

END