

**Geographic Regions Review Working Group
TRANSCRIPTION
Friday 19 November 2010 at 1200 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Geographic Regions Review Working Group on Friday 05 November 2010 at 12:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting,

<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-geo-regions-20101119-en.mp3>

on pages:

- https://st.icann.org/geo-review-wg/index.cgi?geographic_regions_review_working_group_wggr_wiki

And

<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#nov>

Present:

David Archbold
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
Carlton Samuels

Staff:

Rob Hoggarth
Gisella Gruber-White
Bart Boswinkel

Absent Apologies:

Olga Cavalli
Paul Wilson

Coordinator: The call is now recorded, please go ahead.

Gisella Gruber-White: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. On today's Geographic Regions call on Friday the 19th of November we David Archbold, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Carlton Samuels. From staff we have Rob Hoggarth, Bart Boswinkel and myself, Gisella Gruber-White. Apologies noted today from Olga Cavalli and Paul Wilson.

Could I please also just remind you to state your names when speaking for transcript purposes? Thank you, over to you David.

David Archbold: Thank you very much. And officially good morning, good evening everybody. Agenda for this morning, did you manage to circulate, Rob, or not?

Rob Hoggarth: No Dave, I'm sorry I didn't. I wasn't clear when you and I corresponded yesterday whether I should do that so you gave me the positive and I figured you would just run with it.

David Archbold: Yeah, okay that's fine. Not a problem. The agenda we have then, people, is first of all to confirm the date and time for Cartagena workshop, secondly to discuss or confirm the goals of the workshop, you know, what do we want to achieve? And then to look at the possible workshop agenda.

So if we can start off with looking at the date and time for the workshop? It is - and I'm just bringing it up now just to confirm. Thursday the 9th of December from 8:30 until 10:00 in Room 161 for what it's worth. Is that all right for those that are here?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Well neither Carleton nor I can be there.

David Archbold: Oh.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: It's the ALAC...

((Crosstalk))

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: It's the ALAC and At-large wrap-up session. That is our business meeting and reporting. Deathly silence, okay.

David Archbold: Yeah, absolutely.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I mean, it's only clashing with three other things but, you know, I was going to manage the PEDNR workgroup meeting clashing with the ALAC meeting but we have the JIS work group which really is ridiculous because ALAC is one of the co-chartering organizations of that, and the GO all running at exactly the same time. I went, okay, cloning; we'll just have to look at cloning.

Rob Hoggarth: Well what I will do, Cheryl, is do some additional conversations with our meeting team and see if we can find an additional time. There are provisions for modifying or editing the schedule. As you know it's just a - just a couple more hoops for staff to go through.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Sure.

Rob Hoggarth: We did it in Brussels for the...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah.

Rob Hoggarth: ...Consumer's group.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah.

Rob Hoggarth: So I'll look. I mean, we had specifically requested no, you know, avoidance of conflicts with GNSO, ccNSO and At-Large.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: And they couldn't have got it more firmly on conflict...

Rob Hoggarth: Right.

((Crosstalk))

Rob Hoggarth: They interpreted it to create conflict not...

((Crosstalk))

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: There you go. That's fine; everyone goes into interpretation. Let's see if we can rectify it, that'd be good.

Rob Hoggarth: Yeah so we'll take that as a - we'll take that as a to-do. We have that as a tentative time and we'll see what we can switch it to.

David Archbold: I think you can, Rob, otherwise we'll end up with me talking to myself again.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: But you don't get any arguments that way though.

David Archbold: Well actually Rob sometimes comes along and...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yes, oh well there you go that ruins it then.

David Archbold: Absolutely, yeah.

Rob Hoggarth: Yeah, staff constantly clarifying the chair's remarks.

David Archbold: Yeah if I remember last time we set it up so that you asked questions and I provided answers but you went off the script sometimes.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Oh dear. Oh sorry, that's me, it'll settle, okay.

Rob Hoggarth: Okay.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Better now.

David Archbold: Well the problem with that at the moment of course is if we are planning to do things as part of the workshop agenda not knowing whether Cheryl and Carleton are going to be there sort of limits what we can talk about.

Rob Hoggarth: Well I think that, you know, regardless ultimately because we - I know we have challenges at ICANN meetings for all members of the working group to attend at least having an agenda that everybody is comfortable with that even though who are absent have some assurance that we'll be touching on the issues or asking the right questions I think is still helpful.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Correct me if I'm wrong, Dave and Rob, but I did think that this was an opportunity to interact with other parts of the ICANN community as well. I mean, it is an open workshop isn't it?

David Archbold: Yes it is.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah. So I think properly scripted, you know, it's going to be a useful opportunity. My only concern with trying to get it so it's not clashing with the ALAC and At-Large regional wrap-up meeting is I wanted every one of them in the room. So, quite literally, that's one of the best opportunities we have to get our regional leaders to interact on the topic. So I was really - came to make sure all of our lot were in the room for that workshop.

David Archbold: Yeah, absolutely.

Rob Hoggarth: This is Rob. If I can suggest also perhaps not an alternative but maybe an additional concept for this meeting and then obviously for the next as well; is there a value, Cheryl, in your view and Dave, I'm not quite sure how your schedule is shaping up, where similar to what other work teams or working groups have done - and I'm only thinking more recently of the ATRT.

Is there any value for, you know, members of the working group to attend some of these other meetings for a spot on an agenda to, you know, talk about the issue? Obviously it wouldn't be for an hour block but at least to perhaps have some opportunity for interaction with some groups during the week otherwise.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: My gut reaction is yes. And if we can't shuffle things around I would think it's going to be the only useful way to get the regional and At-Large input in at the early-enough stage. Now how we wedge that into already fairly packed agendas is another question. But, yes, I think that's certainly valid to explore.

David Archbold: Yeah but - and at least with yours you have some, let's see, power behind you in order to try and get that rearranging. That's not necessarily the case...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Our agendas...

((Crosstalk))

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Our agendas are already set, published and quite packed. So...

David Archbold: Yeah.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: ..I'd be taking people 40 minute slots and giving them 30 minute slots to grab a couple of extra 10s, you know.

((Crosstalk))

David Archbold: Sorry, Bart?

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah, you've got the same problem with the ccNSO agenda.

David Archbold: Yeah. Indeed. So yes it would be nice but no it might not be all that practical.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah...

((Crosstalk))

David Archbold: ...that's my concern.

Bart Boswinkel: Going back to your timing until what time, say, Thursday morning you've got an agenda. Until what time would be - would you and Carleton available or what time does it end your Thursday morning session?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: It finishes - we have to move it for an 8 o'clock start because the public participation committee meeting immediately follows it which would mean we'll be running I think 8:00 until 10:00 or 8:00 until 10:30 whenever the morning - mid-morning break is. Let me have a look and see if I can find the - opening it up as we speak. Uno momento.

Thursday, Thursday, Thursday, right-o. Yes okay guys we're actually starting at 7:30 so on Thursday the 9th of December ALAC and Regional Leaders wrap-up meeting it is 7:30 to 9:30. And then we run again at 12:30 to 1:30.

Bart Boswinkel: So what I see - so I'm looking at - so my calendar for stuff that's been organized - what I see is for instance a slot on Thursday morning from 9:00 - the 9th of December from 10:00 to 11:00. This was scheduled for the Joint Security and Stability Analysis, the charter drafting. But they've done their work and there is - I assume there will not be a meeting there.

So it's tentatively scheduled but we can - so there is a time slot available that would run from 10:00 to 11:00.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: That is doable by the skin of its teeth particularly if we take it - say public participation committee community update is supposed to run from 9:30 through - it looks like 10:00 - the thing I'm looking at isn't terribly well structured.

So it certainly could be squeezed in as long as we were clear by the forum on DNS abuse because again our people need to be in that.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah, yeah.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: So, yeah, 10:00 to 11:00 is not impossible, Bart. That could work.

Bart Boswinkel: And it's - looking at the other working groups say from the cc perspective they
- that would work as well.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Okay.

Bart Boswinkel: Rob, I'll send you the details. Maybe it works for other groups as well
Thursday morning.

Rob Hoggarth: Yeah, I just got back to my computer, Bart, so I'll look at that while we're
talking through the rest...

Bart Boswinkel: No so you - say in that case you don't have to go to (terms) and
(unintelligible) to change it but we just do announce it because the room is
tentatively scheduled anyway.

Rob Hoggarth: Well yeah there still is a process for announcing the change and getting...

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah, yeah but...

((Crosstalk))

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: So which...

Bart Boswinkel: ...there is a spot available.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Which would room this be then? I'm trying to look at the schedule and
see...

Bart Boswinkel: It's in 2AB.

Rob Hoggarth: Oh okay so that's the Joint Security Stability Analysis Charter Drafting Group.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Oh okay got it.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: That working group say we've tentatively booked the room for this working group but it's done.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Brilliant.

Rob Hoggarth: Okay so...

David Archbold: That sounds good.

Rob Hoggarth: So the request would be moving the Geographic Regions Review workshop into the slot of the Joint Security and Stability Analysis Charter Drafting Group which his now...

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: ...use that room because say we've booked that room as ccs or the ccNSO, (Gabby) booked the room.

Rob Hoggarth: Okay.

Bart Boswinkel: So we just make the announcement okay this is not the one but - or change it somewhere. I don't know how polite you want to be.

Rob Hoggarth: Okay.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Quote me; they don't expect it to be polite if you're quoting me.

Bart Boswinkel: And this is recorded.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yes I know. People often get worried about what I say and they keep reminding me things are recorded and I keep saying yes, I know. Most of it's transcribed as well; just makes interesting reading.

Rob Hoggarth: Great so...

Bart Boswinkel: So that will be an alternative. So I think, Rob...

Rob Hoggarth: Yeah.

Bart Boswinkel: ...you're quite right is let's look at a possible agenda because I think that we do have opportunities to have that meeting on Thursday.

David Archbold: Yeah. Okay well let's do that. Let's look then at - well the good question that Rob put down here is what do working group members want to achieve by this meeting? And I think it's getting - and some interaction and feedback from the community at large plus trying to give them a view of what is likely coming down the track.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Absolutely.

David Archbold: Yeah?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah.

David Archbold: Well that's that decided then, let's move onto the next.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: So you've got the black box, just seal that in will you?

David Archbold: Oh there's been a suggestion that we start off with sort of a recap or reprise of that I did at the Brussels presentation. I think a shorter thing that that certainly...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah.

David Archbold: ...but a quick overview. Because I think the main thing that we really want to do is to try and stimulate some interest and feedback. And that's where we perhaps have to move on pretty quickly to talking about some of the hypotheticals, potential, possible solutions.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah.

David Archbold: And...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Well...

((Crosstalk))

David Archbold: Until we get there I don't think we're going to get any feedback.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah, no I agree with you. I think we've got to get into the what-is and maybes. I think if we can make it as little presentation but we do need to make sure everyone's got the same background and starting point and base understanding.

And then get into sort of Q&A with even some seated - see if we've got my lot in the room, you know, then you know you'll get things coming out, you know, from Carleton and from me and from a few others that will - we can see the stimulant questions to get people discussing and having dialogue.

David Archbold: Yeah, yeah indeed. Well we can ask each other's questions for that matter.
Well actually I suppose what you mean.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: That's right.

David Archbold: Fine and that's really where we have to get to I think as quickly as possible.
So the background etcetera should be quite brief. I'm happy to do the
background I think. The more of us I think that are there in a free-form sort of
discussion dealing with the hypotheticals the better.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah, absolutely. Now that room - it looks to me you've got meetings
there with 10s and 20s and I see the odd 30. The room you had booked, Rob,
was a 25 I think you were aiming for?

Rob Hoggarth: That's right. And there's nothing else in that meeting room for that 10:00 to
11:00 period. So I would propose perhaps just to shift the time of the meeting
from 8:30 to 10:00...

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Rob Hoggarth: ...to 10:00 to 11:00. It makes it a little bit together but it allows everybody to
move on to the DNS forum at 11:00.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Good. Can I ask what the setup in that room is likely to be?

Rob Hoggarth: I could ask for the hollow square so that there'd be room of everybody...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Okay.

Rob Hoggarth: ...to sit and look at each other.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: So you are talking very open for communication type design. Great, okay.

Rob Hoggarth: Yeah.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Bart, I just had images of some of the rooms we had some of our early IDN ccTLD Fast Track conversations in and boy were they maladaptive to communication. We don't want that happening.

Bart Boswinkel: No.

Rob Hoggarth: Well and the advantage of having a meeting on a Thursday of an ICANN public meeting is that we'll see earlier in the week what it looks like then there'll be opportunities if we need to change or want to change to negotiate with our colleagues.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Fair enough, okay.

David Archbold: Okay. So I think all that remains then is for us to put together - and I don't mean now on the phone - but to put together some of these hypotheticals or put them - pick them out of the report and circulate those so that we have some agreement about what hypotheticals we should be talking about and what questions should be asked.

And perhaps that's up to me in the first instance to have a goal and then circulate that round and everybody else can add or comment or whatever over the next week or so.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: That sounds good. Can I ask you, Rob, a - well probably Bart knows as well - when can you stop adding things to the online agenda? Because people - if we've got, you know, perhaps a bit of a teaser question or a hypothetical or two in our, in inverted commas, published agenda along with the why you should go, you know, a couple of consider this type questions just to sort of get their minds into the right sort of space. When is the latest that that can get introduced into the Web base or the hard copy system?

Rob Hoggarth: Well that is a sliding scale, Cheryl. This is Rob speaking. In that, you know, the goal is to have complete agendas for all meetings on the day that the schedule itself closes on 15-November. And then of course the closer you get the more concerned the PPC gets in terms of early release.

What I would propose to do - and if this helps you out, Dave, is later on today I'll just cut and paste from Section B of the interim report and just provide the list of all the hypothetical questions in that section.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Perfect.

Rob Hoggarth: And that may be - and then we'll just - we can just flag and say and the workshop will include discussions among this list of questions and...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Perfect.

Bart Boswinkel: Right.

Rob Hoggarth: ...you know, leave it at that.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah.

Bart Boswinkel: Right.

David Archbold: Yeah, good.

Bart Boswinkel: I think you could use that as a pull-out, let's take that as a pull-out, Rob, and make that the pull-out for the Web.

Rob Hoggarth: Yeah, what I'd like is I would love, if it's okay with you guys, for the agenda to include the title What Ifs and Maybes. I like Cheryl's...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Oh God yes.

Rob Hoggarth: ...little phrase there.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Absolutely, yeah. Yeah we've got to pitch this, you know, we've got to get the pounders in the door.

David Archbold: We'll have you standing at the door putting them in, girl.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Oh trust me I can get people in and out of rooms very effectively. You want the corridor open for you, Dave, I'm the girl for the job, trust me.

David Archbold: Okay we're getting near the bottom of the agenda. How about any other business?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I just - sorry just on the preparation material. Rob, as you know (Heidi) (unintelligible) prepare a little thumb drives for - oh well I call them thumb drives, I don't know what anyone else calls them. They're little things you hang out of your USB port with information on them. Because we're trying to be as environmentally sensible as we can be and we were killing whole forests with our meetings.

Can you make sure that there's a copy of the report that gets loaded up onto that so our lot including some of the newbies can read it in the comfort of their hotel rooms and aircraft?

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah, good idea.

Rob Hoggarth: We can also, Dave, if you can, you know, just update your presentation even if it's just to change your title page from Brussels to Cartagena we can also...

David Archbold: I can do that, yes.

((Crosstalk))

David Archbold: Yeah. I can't even remember what it looks like but I will have it and I will update it.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: That's what that third button is for on your laptop isn't it?

Carleton Samuels: And Rob, when you do the pull-out for the What-if scenarios you might want to do that too for that just pull it out in a separate little document.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Put it in a - yeah, as a piece of text to, yeah.

((Crosstalk))

Rob Hoggarth: ...clear on that.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: ...on that too is later when people return and recover from the meeting assuming particularly from our regional leader's point of view they'll then be, you know, considering putting the regional pens to paper based on that large discussions that they have in their meetings before the close of the public comment.

And if they've got that resource material behind them it, you know, just acts as an aid memoir I think.

Rob Hoggarth: Just to clarify, I think I understand, in other words what I do pull out of Section D just as a separate list of questions create that as a separate document and have that as a...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah.

Rob Hoggarth: ...part of the thumb drive?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah, that's...

Carleton Samuels: Yes, yes.

Rob Hoggarth: Okay thanks, Carleton.

David Archbold: Yeah. All right and I will look at the presentation and update it and perhaps trim it over the weekend. So I will get it to you by Monday.

Rob Hoggarth: That would be perfect. That'd be perfect, Dave, then I can provide the entire package to put on the session page as well so it's up there well ahead of time for the potential...

David Archbold: Time, yeah.

((Crosstalk))

David Archbold: Okey doke, I will do that.

Rob Hoggarth: In terms of any other business just to alert the rest of you to it, I don't know how often you utilize the social text wiki for this working group but certainly Carleton and Cheryl are aware that the ICANN infrastructure is transitioning from social text to a confluence wiki system and...

((Crosstalk))

Rob Hoggarth: I have volunteered our working group wiki as one of those pages to do so because it's fairly discrete, compact and relative to other wiki pages not full of millions of bits of data. So when that happens I will alert you all but just giving you a heads up that we may run into a time where for a couple of days it's not active. But I'll alert you a lot that prior to it happening.

David Archbold: Okay, thanks Rob.

Carleton Samuels: Yeah, that's a good thing, Rob. It's much better (unintelligible).

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah I'm very happy with the confluence. I'm - there's a couple of teething issues. And my grading all of our lot over was relatively complex as you might imagine, Rob, so.

Rob Hoggarth: I think they figured if they could make it work for At-Large...

((Crosstalk))

Rob Hoggarth: ...they could make it work for any other organization.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I think I did have a similar conversation in Marina del Rey. And I said we'll be the tester system for you, don't worry about that.

David Archbold: So when is ours likely to be migrated, Rob? Is this before Cartagena?

Rob Hoggarth: No I've requested that it not happen before Cartagena just because of the, you know, all the other meeting preparations. But it would be after that time period.

David Archbold: Okay that's fine. Okay.

Rob Hoggarth: As Carleton and Cheryl know these projects have long tails to them but part of the issue is just letting you all know that it's in the works.

David Archbold: Yeah.

Carleton Samuels: Yeah.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Good.

David Archbold: Okay, ladies and gentlemen, last call, any other business?

((Crosstalk))

Rob Hoggarth: Sorry I put myself on mute and while both you and Bart on the call, Dave, there's just the issue - and perhaps other working group members can help over Cartagena particularly now with this movement from the interim report to the final report of - and with the transition in the GAC leadership just to make sure that we make an effort to socialize this to our brethren in the Government Advisory Committee as well so they are able to participate and are well aware of what's going on this group.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Oh.

David Archbold: Okay.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Good point. Is there a possibility with what we're putting together for the work shop what does that clash with in GAC world? I thought GAC world was pretty well over by Thursday morning.

I wonder if we could extend an invitation to (Frank) or somebody who has the things to use as a - as a sort of an insistence for a number of things that might just get it onto the - at the GAC agenda informally if not formally. So if at least we make sure one or two of them are in the room then they can at least take it back into their discussions.

Rob Hoggarth: I can work on - this is Rob. I can work with Bart and Dave on an invite that we can...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah.

Rob Hoggarth: ...get out under your signature, Dave, as chair.

David Archbold: Yeah, fine.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: That'd be - yeah, it'd be very useful. I mean, obviously Heather is, you know, going to be slightly busy but...

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: ...maybe (Frank) or someone could be lured in?

Bart Boswinkel: Maybe include Massimiliano as well - Massimiliano Minisci.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Oh of course.

Bart Boswinkel: Now he has the best overview with what's happening.

Rob Hoggarth: Okay will do; we'll take that as a to-do to craft...

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Rob Hoggarth: ...an invite.

David Archbold: Okay good.

Rob Hoggarth: Now I don't have any more...

((Crosstalk))

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: This could actually be a record for an ICANN-related meeting.

Carleton Samuels: A meeting, oh yes.

((Crosstalk))

Carleton Samuels: Thank you - thanks to Dave for that - run a tight ship on this one.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I've had meeting where we still haven't had quorum this far into it.

Carleton Samuels: Well then you have the whole world - then you have whole world to corral.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: And isn't that a whole lot of fun? Oh dear. You're right...

((Crosstalk))

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: ...a I'm on countdown. I'm on countdown, 10th of December, it's not that far away. We'll see you later guys, thanks a lot.

Bart Boswinkel: Okay bye, bye.

Rob Hoggarth: All right thank you.

Carleton Samuels: Bye, bye.

David Archbold: Bye, bye everyone.

Gisella Gruber-White: Everyone.

END