

**GNSO  
Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Constituency Operations Work  
Team 06 August 2010 at 13:00 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Constituency Operations Work Team teleconference 06 August 2010 at 13:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-constituency-ops-20100806.mp3>

**On page:**

<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#aug>

Participants present:

Debra Hughes – NCSG

Rafik Dammak – NCSG

Tony Harris – ISPCP

ICANN Staff

Julie Hedlund

Gisella Gruber-White

Apologies:

Olga Cavalli – NCA – Work Team Chair

Michael Young – Registries

Victoria McEvedy - IPC

Krista Papac – RrSG

Coordinator: Thank you. The recordings have been started. Please go ahead.

Julie Hedlund: Gisella, do you want to do a roll call?

Gisella Gruber-White: Yes. Absolutely. Good morning, good afternoon to everyone. On today's call we have Debra Hughes, Rafik Dammak. From staff we have Julie Hedlund, myself, Gisella Gruber-White. We have apologies from Krista Papac and from Michael Young.

Also please just remind you to state your names when speaking for transcript purposes even though it's a small group. Thank you very much. Over to you Julie.

Julie Hedlund: Gisella, so Debbie, I sent around a document with some minor changes late yesterday. I didn't receive any further edits from work team members but Rob Hogarth had started to look through the document and I thought it might be worth including the changes he's made thus far because I thought it looked like they were helpful.

Debra Hughes: Yeah. They really - I have actually had a chance to read it and they are great. Tell Rob thanks so much. I'll send him an email.

Julie Hedlund: Yeah. I kind of continued to work through the document so he'll have more changes.

Debra Hughes: That's great.

Julie Hedlund: That's sort of about as much as he had time to do and I thought it was worth including even just that bit.

Debra Hughes: No. I certainly appreciate it especially since we've been slow to receive comments. Anything at this point is helpful. I'm just thrilled that he took the time to do that so that's nice.

So Rafik, have you had a chance to look at maybe not the most recent version but the previous version? And have you, Tony and Olga been chatting at all? Tell me where we are.

Rafik Dammak: Not really. We didn't talk with Olga and Tony. I told them that I'm going to work on the document now.

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Rafik Dammak: So maybe next week we can have the conference call and I think that it's becoming a little bit complicated. It's summer period and I feel that everybody

is quite busy. So that's why I saw the same thing in some other working groups.

Debra Hughes: And believe me, I understand. We are all swamped. I'm just trying to get a sense of from a timing standpoint what kind of update we probably need to give Phillip Shepherd, Julie, because we're creeping very close to the deadline that we gave him in Brussels.

And my concern is while we're making good strides I just have a concern of meeting that. What did we tell him, August 15?

Julie Hedlund: Actually we revised that to the 30.

Debra Hughes: To the 30. Okay. Good.

Julie Hedlund: Using the 15 as our deadline and the 30 as sort of a final deadline.

Debra Hughes: Okay. Maybe that's why I've got August 15 like all in my calendar with three reminders before it. I mean like I guess that's why I've been using that as my internal deadline. So that's good. That's good. So I'm going to leave it like that.

I guess I really don't know what the best way is to proceed because I can keep tweaking my portion but I don't want this to be the Debbie document.

Julie Hedlund: Yeah.

Debra Hughes: And I feel like the more I add without really getting feedback from others, I want to make sure that I'm really capturing the thoughts of the entire group when we're putting this thing together. So I don't know. What do you recommend Rafik? Do you just need some time to read it over the weekend and over the next week? I mean what's the best thing because I know Olga's very, very busy and so is Tony too.

Rafik Dammak: Well maybe it's to make prioritization so to see which sections need to add more content so to make it more. So we add more content to those sections to need to be more expansive. And then we can after edit all the document into rephrasing and to correct, etcetera.

Julie Hedlund: Rafik and Debbie, I apologize for stepping in.

Debra Hughes: No. Go ahead.

Julie Hedlund: We do have a few places that we have indicated in the document highlighted in yellow where we really do need more information.

In particular if we want to focus on and I think it's a good point, if we want to focus where we know we're missing things under Section 2.1.2.2, representation on a committee and then at the end of that section we say and certain more here about overall outreach strategy, recommended deliverable tools to be created used by ICANN staff and methods for acts of success engagement, determining a successful engagement.

And then further there is another section - let me see as I'm scanning down here just to pull out some examples. There is an area where under maximize the use of ICANN's print and advertising/PR materials some of the details and suggestions there. And that might be something say for instance that Rob and I could go to the communications staff.

The next item, maximizing the use of mailing lists and databases, needs some detailed suggestions there. That might be something too that perhaps staff could at least give a thought and provide a little bit of substance there. Of particular interest perhaps to you Rafik would be Section 2.1.6 on Page 8, improving ICANN's communication with a global audience their commitment to translation.

We're asking for some additional details there and I know that was I think a particular interest of yours with Olga and Tony as well. That would be I think an important area to focus.

Debra Hughes: You know, another area too is the section right above that, Section 2.1.5 for resources for implementing the global outreach strategy. I know several of you mentioned experiences you have outside of ICANN that have been pretty successful in doing this type of outreach and that we should use those as examples.

And I think to the extent we can provide more details and more examples of those types of school of Internet governance or other types of newcomer type workshop programs or just outreach efforts that have worked really well, especially in the target populations. I think more examples would be really helpful.

Rafik Dammak: Just to clarify where we may (marshal an) example, you want like for example not a complete use case but more let's say well described examples? Because it depends what level of detail that we want. We can go for some examples, we can go really into details. And I'm not sure if it makes sense in our document if we put a lot of detailed examples.

Debra Hughes: No. I completely understand what you're saying. I guess what I'm wanting to make sure that we've captured some of the ideas that we have had discussions about. And I'm not sure that they are all in this document. If we think that it's important for us just to say hey, there are a couple of programs that are already existing that ICANN should think of either partnering with or looking at as a template and here are just a couple of them.

If we just want to do a quick list and why we think they're important, I think that's great. If we think what we have got in here is sufficient, that's not my experience so I don't know. So I'm really looking to you and Olga and Tony

who are more engaged in that piece to know what are some of the existing programs that are out there in this space.

And I agree. I don't think we need a detailed synopsis of each one of the programs. I just wanted to make sure that you all were comfortable that we'd represented enough at least examples because when I think about this document and how it's going to be used, when I take a step back away from the actual work and the tools, when I think about why we're doing this, what I'm imagining is somebody who is going to take this document and they are going to decide yes we are going to create this committee.

And they're going to need suggestions on okay, well how do we do outreach? How do we create documents and where do we start? And I think to the extent that we can provide them at least places to start looking or programs to start modeling I think that would be really helpful. I know if I were in that position having to create something brand new if there were places that I could go to take a look at something or models out there, that would certainly help the effort.

So I agree. I don't know that we need super detail in this particular document. What I would I guess encourage is us to think about and challenge ourselves about whether or not we need more examples that we can point to. And if we think we're good there then that is fine. What do you think about that?

Rafik Dammak: Okay. So in this week it will be completed. We'll be (on short vacation) but I'll try on Monday to read to add some to read the document and add complete as much as I can. But now I guess because I read the board resolution, maybe if Julie has any information because I see from the resolution number six, the international demotion of ICANN. But the resolution is how do you say, not really clear. I am interested by the words (detail international) but maybe it's related somehow to our task? If Julie has any detail about this resolution?

Julie Hedlund: You're talking about a resolution that was passed yesterday, is that correct?

Rafik Dammak: Yes.

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: Okay.

Debra Hughes: So Bruce forwarded to the GNSO council the list of the resolutions that were passed yesterday and resolution number six, international dimension of ICANN and the resolve line Julie is the board confirms the establishment of a board global relationships committee and adopts the proposed global relationships committee charter.

The board governance committee shall provide recommendations for the composition of the global relationships committee. And so the question is do we know anything about that? Do we know anything about their charter and will this committee play any role or should we encourage them to have a role in what we're talking about here?

Julie Hedlund: That's a good question. I really don't know anything about it but I can certainly find out. It sounds like it's at a very early stage and that it's the governance committee that will be helping to set up this new committee. I did see Bruce's message and I didn't have a chance to go through all the resolutions.

They're kind of - then end up being kind of funky in the way it came up in my email. But I'll take a look at that and I'll work with Rob and try to figure out what this new committee might be. And I agree it certainly sounds from a very basic standpoint to be a committee that we may want to engage with in some way. So I'll see what I can find out.

Debra Hughes: Right. I think one of the other things that we have on our to do list of many things was to try to facilitate either a conference call or a reach out. I think Olga was willing to do that with you Julie to either someone from the public participation committee or maybe even the current person whose name is escaping me now who is in charge of communications to kind of get their sense on global outreach and what resources are available.

And this might be even more timely now to say what's going on with this new committee and how would global outreach if at all be involved with the work of this committee?

Julie Hedlund: Yeah. And I think that I know Rob was on the call and we discussed that. And I think that one can certainly have - we were still - we didn't have - we weren't as far as long in the document as we are now.

Debra Hughes: Yeah.

Julie Hedlund: So and now actually with this new bit of information about this new initiative, this may be a better place for this to fall to see.

Debra Hughes: Right. What I was hoping was that we could kind of use that as our excuse even though we're not as far along as we might want to be to be able to go to the board with specific questions. We can now say hey, we're working over here doing these things.

We want to make sure that the work that we're still in the process of completing jibes with what the charter or any of the other initiatives that are going on. So we can maybe use that if that makes sense as a means to reach out. Tell them we're still working. We don't want to bring an issue to you that is still in progress. However, we don't want our efforts to go left when the board is going right.



Julie Hedlund: But then also since this new group is in the formation it seems to me then that perhaps this is exactly the time to engage when the board governance committee is setting up the charter for that organization and maybe some of our ideas could fold into that.

So let me follow up with Rob and find out who best to reach out to on the board. There may be somebody in particular who is tasked within the board governance committee to shepherd this particular effort and I don't know who that is but Rob may know.

Debra Hughes: Okay. That's great.

Julie Hedlund: So I'll take that on as an action item. Thanks for raising that.

Debra Hughes: Yeah. That was a good point Rafik.

Tony Harris: Hello.

Julie Hedlund: Hi. Who's speaking?

Tony Harris: Hi. This is Tony Harris. I'm sorry I'm a little late joining.

Julie Hedlund: Welcome Tony. We have Debbie and Rafik on the call. Michael and Olga couldn't make it.

Tony Harris: Okay.

Julie Hedlund: We were just discussing ways that we could go through the document and (try and find ways) we could - and I'm sorry. I hear an echo so I should probably stop talking.

We were trying to - where we could fill in some additional details and information and also Rafik pointed out the resolution that was passed in the

board meeting yesterday to establish a new global participation committee in the board. I forget what it was called and I'm trying to look.

Gisella Gruber-White: Sorry Julie. It's Gisella. Just to say that Tony disconnected. We're just reconnecting him now. He should be joining in a few seconds.

Julie Hedlund: Okay. Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't looking at the meeting viewer. I would have seen that.

Gisella Gruber-White: That's fine. I see him on hold.

Julie Hedlund: Maybe he was the echo.

Gisella Gruber-White: He was the echo.

Julie Hedlund: Okay. Well, maybe we'll give him a second or so to get back in.

Gisella Gruber-White: They're still trying to connect. There. He's back.

Julie Hedlund: Hi Tony. Sorry we lost you.

Tony Harris: Okay. I'm putting myself on mute because the echo is on my line.

Julie Hedlund: Okay. Great. Thanks. So at any rate Tony, we were explaining that looking through the document to try to identify areas where we can fill in some additional details.

Rafik offered to look through in a few places and what I'll actually do after this call is pull out some of the spots where we're looking for additional detail. And also I'm going to follow up with Rob on this resolution that the board passed yesterday to set up a new board committee on sort of the globalization of ICANN.

And we'll try to engage the right person on the board who is probably from the board governance committee who is following up on that particular effort. I'll turn it back over to Debbie.

Debra Hughes: Sure. Welcome Tony. I think what we were just discussing the last big issue was areas in the document where we wanted to add more details. And one of those areas was that I really wanted feedback from you, Olga and Rafik particularly about the types of programs that are currently existing.

Or initiatives that are currently existing in this space that ICANN could look to as either an example of an outreach program that has been successful or materials or programs or at least even a strategy that has been successful because from my estimation when we create this document I thought it would be really helpful that we give the group not just the charge go out and do global outreach.

But give them examples that they can refer to and so the conversation Rafik and I were just having was well, what does that really mean. How detailed do we want this document to be? And Rafik raised a good point that we don't want to put too much in the document. We don't want to put too many synopses perhaps.

But I was thinking that maybe there are opportunities in the document for us to provide more examples of programs that have been successful that could be used as at least something for the committee to look at when they are coming out with either their strategy, coming up with programs or coming up with ways to actually do the outreach.

So we would love to hear your thoughts there. There are only a few of us on the call and so we were just having that conversation. Tony?

Tony Harris: Yeah. Can you hear me?

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Tony Harris: Can I speak or is there a huge echo on the line?

Debra Hughes: No. You're fine.

Tony Harris: Okay. It looks like it's cleared up then. Actually about what you were just saying, possibly one organization or entity that might be an example would be the Internet governance forum.

They seem to have been quite successful in congregating a lot of participants in whatever they do. And that might be one place you could look. Other than that it's a little complicated because you could do a fantastic outreach and marketing effort to get awareness of ICANN everywhere.

The problem is that what ICANN does is so esoteric to the normal businessman or possibly academician or whatever that they may find some difficulty in figuring out exactly what the benefit would be to start participating in ICANN and it's about names and numbers and protocols and that's about it. Okay?

Debra Hughes: So I think what I'm hearing from you is part of our challenge is going to be taking a look at outreach and this problem from a more basic level. How can ICANN explain what it is and what it does to populations, sectors of the community that have no experience with ICANN?

So how can we do that and explain that in a way that makes sense. Is that what I'm hearing?

Tony Harris: Well, that would be part of it. But I would also say that there is a problem of the message as you say. What I usually tell people if they say what use is ICANN and what's the point? There's a very simple answer.

Without the critical resources that ICANN oversees there wouldn't be an Internet. It's as simple as that. And that tends to catch their interest from that point on.

Rafik Dammak: Debbie?

Debra Hughes: Yes please.

Rafik Dammak: So it's good that Tony brings an example of IGF. IGF is more (a forum). It happens once per year and I think that people find it interesting because there are many topics for us before each forum they define a set of topics and then people can focus.

And with IGF on the first day one of the first features is a comment orientation session that helps people to understand what is IGF, what are the main topics, etcetera. But for example in ICANN meetings I'm not sure that we have such things. So it's more easy for an insider and people who came many times to ICANN meetings to know where to go, which important session to attend, etcetera.

But for newcomers it's always complicated. We didn't focus too much in ICANN meetings and ICANN meetings usually what I observe at IGF especially like for example in (unintelligible) - we can bring many locals to attend because it's more easy for them to attend IGF. And then after attending some workshops they get interested to join or to involve somehow.

And I'm not sure that for ICANN meetings ICANN succeeds in that. We have sometimes locals but I'm not sure that they follow up after they try to follow ICANN, the next ICANN meeting for participation or either to if they have the chance or the opportunity to attend other ICANN meetings. So maybe we can sanction some ideas about the ICANN meetings how we can maybe make them more - to make them a good opportunity first for locals to attend and to engage them in more for (a real kind of approach).

Tony Harris: Hello.

Debra Hughes: Yes Tony.

Tony Harris: Yeah. I agree with Rafik. I think he made a very good point. If you look at what happens in ICANN meetings and I organized one in Argentina so I know. If you look at the database of people who actually attended the meeting I think normally you find the local attendants to an ICANN event is not more than at the most 15%.

You've got about 85 or 90% people who follow ICANN everywhere but not many local stakeholders get involved, particularly new ones.

Debra Hughes: Sorry. I was on mute. No. That's a good point. So I think that messaging is the kind of thing that we want to put - let me see. I was trying to take notes and then trying to think of where in the document - I think this is probably the kind of thing that should go either in the strategy section. Julie, what do you think? Where would these types of comments that like the creation of the strategy?

Julie Hedlund: Yeah. I think maybe the strategy. I mean if we're talking about the - I think it's where there was a place where we were looking for some additional details and what is our overall outreach strategy?

I mean if we have right now somewhat limited participation locally in ICANN meetings what is our strategy to encourage more local participation at ICANN or other regional meetings? How do we reach out? Who do we reach out to? What organizations do we get in contact with to say hey, this is happening, you really need to be there?

So that would be I would think somewhere it would fit as part of the overall outreach strategy but others can correct me. I don't know. Tony, what do you think? Tony?

Tony Harris: Yeah. I would just say to that point I do believe I put in a paragraph about that and it's included in the report, the fact that at local meetings more effort should be made to contact local associations, chambers of commerce, universities and NGOs to make sure that those people are aware of the event and send somebody to it. I think it's in the document already.

Julie Hedlund: Okay. Thank you Tony.

Rafik Dammak: Tony, I think what I also observe in IGF that the hosts try to bring as much people as they can. I'm not sure how ICANN is cooperating with the hosts usually for that. But for IGF like at one of the best examples was in Egypt. They bring many, many for example young people from many stakeholders that participated.

And I think even the host official was really, really impressed. So it's a good example to follow for ICANN meetings so ICANN can collaborate with Tony's section to contact the entity locals or organizations but also to with the hosts to bring more people because they know how to promote events and which communities they can contact for that.

For example, I wasn't there but when they organized ICANN meetings maybe 2003 in Tunisia, they gave a how to say - the Tunisians hosted so they contact some university and got many students to attend the ICANN meetings. So it's not really complicated. It's more easy to bring locals to attend than to after to try to outreach people to travel, etcetera. So to focus in more local initiatives can be easy to do and can be efficient too.

Debra Hughes: Thanks Rafik. I'm sorry. I'm sitting here scanning this document trying to find the section that Tony is referring to because I'm trying to write this down.

Julie Hedlund: I think Debbie it's maybe on Page 3.

Debra Hughes: Okay. Thanks. I just want to make sure I've got my notes.

Julie Hedlund: Where we're talking about an outreach strategy, getting in touch with different organizations, target populations, plans for reaching those populations, identifying resources, focal points for newcomers.

I think it's an area where there probably it would benefit from having the example of a couple of the examples that Rafik just mentioned and the IGF as well because right now the couple of paragraphs there are more high level.

Debra Hughes: Yeah.

Julie Hedlund: And then maybe a paragraph of as an example this is how the IGF does it or the strategy that Rafik just mentioned with organizing the ICANN meeting in Egypt and getting young people and students involved and going to Tunisia (House) and so on.

Debra Hughes: Okay. Great. Are there other areas because Julie what I would love to be able to do is take the last version that was circulated, which I guess is now the version that Rob added his comments to.

Julie Hedlund: Correct.

Debra Hughes: If we could go in this document and kind of highlight the areas that we talked about today on the call as errors where we want people to focus, I think Rafik made a good point as to rather than telling people to read the whole



document and comment, why don't we help direct people a little bit more by saying can you provide comments in the following highlighted sections?

I mean you're welcome to comment every place but can you start at least thinking here? And the I'll have a separate conversation with Michael about the specifics of the newcomer program and the newcomer outreach materials to see if there is more detail that we need to add to those portions of the document. But would you be able to do that Julie?

Julie Hedlund: Go through and - I mean we have got a few sections. We have got a few little sentences highlighted in yellow but what I'll do is I'll highlight the section in yellow and then type in red need additional examples here.

Debra Hughes: Yeah. Right.

Julie Hedlund: And for example in this section on Page 3 mention ICANN and Egypt contact with academic students and what not.

Debra Hughes: Yeah. I think that might just help clue people in rather than my what I've been saying is read it and comment on everything. Maybe if we just focus people on those areas first and then once they get that done then we can just talk about the other areas that we think need more detail.

I will follow up with Michael to see what other details or other thoughts he might have specifically about the newcomer workshop and related programs so we can make sure there is enough detail there in that suggestion. Were there any other areas that anybody thought we needed to put focus on?

Julie Hedlund: Well, if not maybe this would be the best way to start. I'll highlight the sections that we talked about here and send around the documents and make it really easy for people to see where we're looking for where people really need to focus as opposed to focusing on the whole document.

And then mention to some of the folks that we think might really be able to speak to those sections and I can insert for example Rob and I will explore the idea that the new board committee and I think I know where that fits in the document. And then these ideas can further details on outreach and I can put that in the appropriate section since there are a couple of places where that would probably fit in and then send that around for everybody to look at and provide comments prior to next week's call.

Debra Hughes: Sounds good. So is there anything else we should decide about?

Julie Hedlund: Well, if not then maybe we'll go ahead and use this time and I'll get this out today and we'll ask for people to provide input no later than say noon or afternoon next Thursday that I can pull together for Friday's meeting.

Debra Hughes: Okay. And I'll be sure to send another reminder on Wednesday asking everybody to give their comments into you again by noon on Thursday. Eastern Time Julie?

Julie Hedlund: Yeah. That would be fine.

Debra Hughes: Okay. All right. So I'll do that.

Julie Hedlund: Wonderful.

Debra Hughes: Okay. I have nothing else. Is there anything else anybody wants to chat about? If not, I think we can adjourn.

Julie Hedlund: Well, thanks everybody.

Debra Hughes: Thanks everyone.

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: Have a nice weekend.

END